bigben07MVP's "all other mocks are wrong" Mock

bigben07MVP

I'll start by saying this particular simulation was not very kind to me. I was faced with some really tough decisions but said before I started "I'm rolling with this one regardless of what happens." I did this one on the TDN mock simulator.

I ideally would like to trade back but don't pay for the premium TDN so that wasn't an option. Here we go.

2.49 - Laviska Shenault WR, Colorado - I've talked him up enough recently. Explosive, "Steelers" type of player. If he stays healthy he's an absolute steal. Will see the field early and adds an element to our offense that was clearly lacking last season. Taylor, Dobbins, Winfield Jr, CEH, Mims etc were all gone

3.102 - Zack Moss, RB Utah. - I wanted K'Von Wallace here but he got taken at 95. We have shown a clear interest in him and although he doesn't exactly bring anything to the table we don't currently have, he's a beast and is already a good pass catcher for a bigger running back. I would not be shocked at all to see us go RB/WR with our first two picks.

4. 124 - Kenny Robinson, S WVU - Gives us much needed safety depth and versatility. Big, ball-hawking single high safety that will allow us to move Minkah around. Jones from Texas is where I intended to go here but was gone in this scenario.

4.135 - Ben Bredeson, OG Michigan - Here's your Michigan connection. 

6.198 - Dalton Keene, TE Virginia Tech - We have connections to Keene as well. He's more of an H-Back and a really good special teamer. We need depth at tight end. My ideal pick here would be Bravion Roy. 

7.232 - Khaleke Hudson, ILB/SS/STer - My favorite sleeper. 30 reps on the bench, led the nation in blocked punts and TFL (2017). Fits the modern day defense. Michigan ties once again and was Devin Bush's old running mate. Special teams pro bowl potential. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

I'll start by saying this particular simulation was not very kind to me. I was faced with some really tough decisions but said before I started "I'm rolling with this one regardless of what happens." I did this one on the TDN mock simulator.

I ideally would like to trade back but don't pay for the premium TDN so that wasn't an option. Here we go.

2.49 - Laviska Shenault WR, Colorado - I've talked him up enough recently. Explosive, "Steelers" type of player. If he stays healthy he's an absolute steal. Will see the field early and adds an element to our offense that was clearly lacking last season. Taylor, Dobbins, Winfield Jr, CEH, Mims etc were all gone

3.102 - Zack Moss, RB Utah. - I wanted K'Von Wallace here but he got taken at 95. We have shown a clear interest in him and although he doesn't exactly bring anything to the table we don't currently have, he's a beast and is already a good pass catcher for a bigger running back. I would not be shocked at all to see us go RB/WR with our first two picks.

4. 124 - Kenny Robinson, S WVU - Gives us much needed safety depth and versatility. Big, ball-hawking single high safety that will allow us to move Minkah around. Jones from Texas is where I intended to go here but was gone in this scenario.

6.198 - Dalton Keene, TE Virginia Tech - We have connections to Keene as well. He's more of an H-Back and a really good special teamer. We need depth at tight end. My ideal pick here would be Bravion Roy. 

7.232 - Khaleke Hudson, ILB/SS/STer - My favorite sleeper. 30 reps on the bench, led the nation in blocked punts and TFL (2017). Fits the modern day defense. Michigan ties once again and was Devin Bush's old running mate. Special teams pro bowl potential. 

Really good draft, IMO.

Shenault is an enigma to me.  I don't know what is making him fall, and that scares me.  He is huge, fast, SPARQ-y, flashy... all of the stuff you want.  He is stupid flexible as well... he can play everywhere and has even taken snaps at Colorado.  Why more people don't have him higher is scary... like, how is Reagor, Aiyuk, Mims and even Higgins better than him??  What is making him slide??  My uncertainty makes me nervous... if I knew what is making him fall, I would be fine.

Regardless, he is STUPID value at 49, and in FFMD I was excited when he was falling to us.  I would take him for sure if I knew what the issue was, but I would still take him if it wasn't a deal breaker.

Robinson is also stupid value and if he can come in and play above board, he could be a steal.  I would like to know more about his departure from WVU, but he makes our backend sooooo dangerous and flexible.

Bredson is a Pittsburgh guy... he fits us.  Not as good IMO as Kindley, but...

Keene is a good pick... he is more our type of TE.  He would be a good add to the TE room for 2021+

Hudson is a great fit and excellent value here.  Local kid, try hard, scheme versitile.

Like @Cbrunn, I am not a fan of the Moss pick.  I did not see your board, but IRL I would trade down and take a RB later.  Or flip picks and take a IOL/OT at 102 and RB at 135 (Evans, Dillion)

5 minutes ago, kurgan said:

Really good draft, IMO.

Shenault is an enigma to me.  I don't know what is making him fall, and that scares me.  He is huge, fast, SPARQ-y, flashy... all of the stuff you want.  He is stupid flexible as well... he can play everywhere and has even taken snaps at Colorado.  Why more people don't have him higher is scary... like, how is Reagor, Aiyuk, Mims and even Higgins better than him??  What is making him slide??  My uncertainty makes me nervous... if I knew what is making him fall, I would be fine.

Regardless, he is STUPID value at 49, and in FFMD I was excited when he was falling to us.  I would take him for sure if I knew what the issue was, but I would still take him if it wasn't a deal breaker.

Robinson is also stupid value and if he can come in and play above board, he could be a steal.  I would like to know more about his departure from WVU, but he makes our backend sooooo dangerous and flexible.

Bredson is a Pittsburgh guy... he fits us.  Not as good IMO as Kindley, but...

Keene is a good pick... he is more our type of TE.  He would be a good add to the TE room for 2021+

Hudson is a great fit and excellent value here.  Local kid, try hard, scheme versitile.

Like @Cbrunn, I am not a fan of the Moss pick.  I did not see your board, but IRL I would trade down and take a RB later.  Or flip picks and take a IOL/OT at 102 and RB at 135 (Evans, Dillion)

Shenault is falling because of how deep this class is. Some may have him equal/slightly higher in talent to the receivers you listed but why risk a guy with a injury history when there’s an abundance of them without injuries.

Ive done a decent amount of mock simulators and this was one of the harder spots for me at 102. I almost went Evans but thought Moss was better value. Most of the O-Lineman who are typically mocked to us there were gone too. Hindsight I could have gone Simpson or an EDGE like Highsmith. Wallace at 102 and Evans at 124 would have been more ideal.

I mean, I get it... Reagor is faster, Mims is bigger, Higgins has a better catch radius and jump ball ability.  Different people look for different things, but the intangibles are off the charts.

Shenault would bust open our passing offense.  *i* would take him over everyone but the obvious Top 3, Jefferson and MAYBE Mims.  I like him better than Hamler, Aiyuk, Higgins, the whole crew.  I get his injury history as well... he couldn't test at the Combine and stuff.

But, put on his game film.  He is plug and play, for me.  He lines dudes up... he checks the QB.  He motions.  He takes snaps and RO running back snaps.  Dude is the real deal.

I say all of this and realize that a) we have no connection to him, and b) I will get excited when he is there and we will take Pittman.

I get 102 is an issue... I overreached on Big John.  But, I also think (right now) that I am coming full circle on circle in that if we don't get Swift, Dobbins, Taylor or Akers, that we don't force the issue and take Evans at some point or not.  There was one mock draft that was just on here where a RB wasn't taken, and @Steeler Hitman's who took one late.   I think IRL, we do what someone recommended and trade a 2021 pick to move up to the 80's-90s or trade back.

• Like 2

Agreed about Shenault plug and play and also that we will probably take Pittman over him and leave me disappointed. I like Pittman he is just kind of a “boring/safe” pick compared to Shenault, Mims, and Reagor. I want nothing to do with Hamler. Ayuik falls in the same category as Pittman

Mims, Reagor, Shenault

Pittman, Ayuik

Hamler

In that order.

And yes I’m pretty sure Moss and Evans are the only RBs I would be ok with after the top 5.

• Like 1

Hudson is interesting.  I've seen him listed as Safety/ILB/OLB.  While he's not gonna be able to Pass Rush at OLB I think he can handle EMLOS pretty well and drop into short Zones decently enough.  Whether that makes him an OLB is debatable.  The Steelers may feel drafting him kills 2-3 birds with one stone.  

2 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Agreed about Shenault plug and play and also that we will probably take Pittman over him and leave me disappointed. I like Pittman he is just kind of a “boring/safe” pick compared to Shenault, Mims, and Reagor. I want nothing to do with Hamler. Ayuik falls in the same category as Pittman

Mims, Reagor, Shenault

Pittman, Ayuik

Hamler

In that order.

And yes I’m pretty sure Moss and Evans are the only RBs I would be ok with after the top 5.

Ayuik is not a boring player.  That dude has some wheels and is very shifty.  Prototypical take the top off guy that is a game-breaker with the ball in his hands.  I personally take him over Shenault without hesitating and I really like Shenault.  Well maybe I'd hesitate some.  Shenault is really good.  He took a beating in College tho.  

Edited by Chieferific

5 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Mims, Reagor, Shenault

Pittman, Ayuik

Hamler

In that order.

I am not that low on Hamler.  I think he has value, and would be a straight killer in the right offense.  Not ours though...  I am also out on Reagor.  Heard he has some locker room stuff, and I assume that must all be vetted.  I am not sure I am that high on Aiyuk either.

I'm probably:

Mims, Shenault

Reagor, Aiyuk, Pittman

Hamer....

So, not that different, lol

I might take a look at Dillon, but that would be much later.

3 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Hudson is interesting.  I've seen him listed as Safety/ILB/OLB.  While he's not gonna be able to Pass Rush at OLB I think he can handle EMLOS pretty well and drop into short Zones decently enough.  Whether that makes him an OLB is debatable.  The Steelers may feel drafting him kills 2-3 birds with one stone.  

I like him as a matchup defender.  He is probably the closest Barron guy that we can actually get, although he is not as smooth in coverage, but much better in the box.  He would not be as much of a projection to nickelbacker as a Muse, without the upside either.  I can see him being a gameplan/chesspiece dude.  And a ST monster.

• Like 1

Hamler certainly has some wheels but he’s just so tiny. Want to talk about Shenault holding up in the NFL, I think Hamler has the same issue. And for someone at that size who plays the slot, isn’t a route technician, and has drop issues. Consider me out on that. Reminds me of Taylor Gabriel or Tavon Austin. Will never be a full-time starter IMO.

On Ayuik, I didn’t necessarily mean he’s a boring player just doesn’t bring too much that is different to what we already have, like Pittman. I have seen some compared him to Chris Godwin though. He’s one of those guys I could easily talk myself into if he actually was the pick. With how good we are at drafting receivers, I’ll do that with any who we draft to be honest. Wasn’t crazy about the DJ pick last year when it was announced but I have blind faith in Tomlin/Colbert for receivers. 

Edited by bigben07MVP

7 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Hudson isn’t an OLB in our system, as you mentioned he’s not great at rushing the passer. He’s a Barron role guy and would compete with UG3.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Hudson isn’t an OLB in our system, as you mentioned he’s not great at rushing the passer. He’s a Barron role guy and would compete with UG3.

Agree but he can be the EMOLS (Baron couldn't do that) and cover short Zones. 

Edited by Chieferific
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2020 at 3:34 PM, bigben07MVP said:

This would have been a great draft. I’m happy that the Redskins got Khaleke Hudson, though I do think they took him a round too high. I thought he was more of a late 6th or 7th round value, but hey we’ll  take him for the reasons you pointed out.