Smetana34's Annual Draftday-eve Mock

smetana34

I usually do one of these a year a day or two before the draft once I've got the guys I like and we see who's risen and who's fallen. I really want GB to land a WR at #30, but if none of the Top 3 and Jefferson are available, I'd rather them pass and take advantage of the depth in the middle rounds.

With pick #30 in the 2020 Draft, Green Bay Selects: Jaylon Johnson, CB, Utah   

HKHM2G4M25FQHLCB3ZHDMI2WPU.jpg

Possess's good size and great athleticism. Routinely sticks to his receiver and shows the ability to flip his hips fluidly and run. Quick to read and react and is a very willing tackler. Has a shoulder thats been operated on twice, but still put up 15 reps on the bench press at the combine, which should help alleviate some fears. Immediately assumes our 3rd CB role, and provides King insurance should King price himself out of GB next year. 

With the 62nd pick, the Packers select: Lucas Niang, OT,  TCU

1039548332.jpg.0.jpg

Mammoth man who shows very good athleticism for a man his size. Spent his career at RT for the Horn Frogs, which is where he figures in to GB's plans. Has a long reach and heavy hands, he shows good technique keeping pass rushers at bay, very powerful man who is a mauler in the run game, and shows the necessary mobility to reach the second level consistently and operate in space. His footwork will need a bit of work to clean up, which Wagner serves as a good place holder for the first half of the season. 

With the 94th pick, Green Bay selects: Antonio Gibson, RB/WR, Memphis

5e0e0fc157206.image.jpg?resize=818,630

Electric with the ball in his hands with speed for days. He's got good size with a thick build, also showing good balance and vision, routinely setting up blocks and making defenders miss. Catch radius is a little small, but he shows strong hands and fearlessness working over the middle. Initially starts off in the playmaker role, with plays designed for him and is brought along slowly while growing accustomed to working out of the slot, which is the long term plan. Spends time with Adams improving his route running, which is underdeveloped. High IQ player who shouldn't take long before hitting the ground running

With the 136th pick, Green Bay selects: Jack Driscoll, OL, Auburn

1192226350.jpg.0.jpg 

Shows good size, is a good athlete, with a high IQ who is quick to process what's going on at the LOS. Hand technique is good and he does a good job at the second level. His biggest issue is strength. He needs to spend his first year in a professional weight room, developing his anchor and power at the point of attack. Could possibly play outside, but projects more at guard at the next level.

With the 175th pick, Green Bay selects: Bravvion Roy, DL, Baylor

ap-all-big-12-football-arlington-usa-shu

A very large human, has a nonstop motor and he shows surprising athleticism for a man his size (two blocked kicks!) Upside as a pass rusher isn't very high, but he does have a nice first step and shows a few different moves. He's won't get moved in the run game, which will be his role in GB, playing early downs and in obvious run sets. 

With the 192nd pick, Green Bay selects: Lamar Jackson, CB, Nebraska

1038996582.jpg.0.jpg

Fantastic size, athleticism, and a very capable tackler. Can stay with any bigger body receiver, but struggles in COD against the smaller, shiftier receivers, limiting him to the outside as a boundary corner. Plays physical at the line and is excellent in contesting the ball at its highest point. 

With the 208th pick, Green Bay selects: Charlie Taumoepeau, TE, Portland 

Taumoepeau3171.jpg

Another guy who was moved all over the offense. He's a willing, but inconsistent blocker, who's best work comes as a receiver. Doesn't have a great size, but moves very well and excels with contested catches. Catches everything and is fantastic in the short to intermediate area of the field. Has a slow developing second gear. Has the tools to fit as an H-back in the league, but needs a lot of refinement as a blocker. 

With the 209th pick, Green Bay selects, Raymond Calais, RB, Louisiana 

FB_Web.jpg

Meet your new return man. Absolute fire with the ball in his hands he comes in purely to take over return duties and play on special teams

With the 236th pick, Green Bay selects:John Penisini, DL, Utah

ncaa-football-utah-vs-colorado-boulder-u

Another large human to anchor in the run defense. Immovable object who offers little pass rush, he's brought in in an attempt to shore up our porous run defense. 

With the 242nd pick, Green Bay selects: DeMarkus Acy, CB, Missouri

defensive-back-demarkus-acy-of-the-misso 

A physical specimen at CB, he's got great size and speed. Makes a receivers life hard leaving the LOS with his length and strength. Struggles to get his hips flipped and struggles in COD, so he's best suited in a zone-scheme. A very willing tackler, his home in the NFL is very likely at safety, where he can put his ball skills to work and keep things in front of him

Post Draft Signing:

Clay Matthews - 1 year, 5 million - brought back in to play at ILB, while also providing insurance at OLB. If used only in passing sets, Clay can excel dropping in coverage or rushing after the passer.

1177941038.jpg

With no real gaping sore spots, GB is free to go BPA most of the way through and add the best talent available, especially at 30. While I get tired of spending early picks in the secondary, it is still a need, and even more so if King walks. Johnson has potential through the roof, and hard to pass him up at 30, if he lasts that long. The goal of this draft was to build both lines and add a toy for Rodgers. The offensive line gets the future RT in Niang, and depending on Driscoll's development they have insurance against Bahk leaving (which I dont want) or the option the get out of Turner's contract. I didn't hit receiver as hard as I'd have liked, but Gibson is a fantastic weapon to move all around, with the Funchess signing, and some continued development from Lazard, I feel Rodgers is in good shape at the position. Defensively the pass rush was fine, so the focus was on stopping the run, hence the draft selections of Roy and Penisini, and further strengthening the secondary. The LB position didn't get addressed much, but with what we have an edge (Smith's, Gary) and how little we value/use two ILB's, Matthews is a fine depth addition to go with Kirksey and Burks. Overall, every position on the team gets a talent influx, which was the ultimate goal. 

It ain't sexy, but I like this one.

I see value at 30 with a corner.

I like Niang as a RT.  And I very much like Driscoll on the line somewhere.

Got some juice for the return game and WR.

Double dipped corner and DL.

I can see it happening this way.  Nice job!

22 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Could see it. Don't love it. Could definitely see it.

co-signed. I have no problem going CB at 30 either if the right guy is there. I think Gibson gives us a ton of value in regards to what he can bring to the table and wouldn't mind going for a larger OT in the 2nd and certainly don't mind double-dipping at OT in this draft.

I think a lot of people forget that the OL class is just about as deep as WR this year.