NFL Draft Thread: Day 3

The thing I probably dislike most about this pick is that if you’re taking an OT that nobody else wanted for 100+ picks, why go with a guy who at least has some fallback ability to be a rough and tumble RT or OG? That’s why I liked the idea of Lucas Niang if he made it to this pick — like Charles, Niang probably won’t make it as a starting LT in the league, but he could be a really physical brawler of an RT when that happens. The reason people like Charles is because he has light feet and a lot of fluidity in pass pro, so he looks like an LT, but he’s lacking in strength, physicality, finish, etc. Gives him much less of a fallback option, just like Christian. 

Kyle doesn’t seem to understand yet that if you want a starting LT, you generally need to get him in the 1st round — or you’re not getting him. Much like with QBs. You’re wasting time and picks trying to snare some diamond in the rough future LT anchor in the mid-rounds. 

Just now, e16bball said:

The thing I probably dislike most about this pick is that if you’re taking an OT that nobody else wanted for 100+ picks, why go with a guy who at least has some fallback ability to be a rough and tumble RT or OG? That’s why I liked the idea of Lucas Niang if he made it to this pick — like Charles, Niang probably won’t make it as a starting LT in the league, but he could be a really physical brawler of an RT when that happens. The reason people like Charles is because he has light feet and a lot of fluidity in pass pro, so he looks like an LT, but he’s lacking in strength, physicality, finish, etc. Gives him much less of a fallback option, just like Christian. 

Kyle doesn’t seem to understand yet that if you want a starting LT, you generally need to get him in the 1st round — or you’re not getting him. Much like with QBs. You’re wasting time and picks trying to snare some diamond in the rough future LT anchor in the mid-rounds. 

I'll give Matsko and Wharton a chance to work with Charles.  One thing is for sure, if Charles falls, it's on him and not the coaching or support system.  He would've been a much higher pick if not for the weed issues.  But I do agree that you are likely going to have to invest on that top tier LT.  But you can also still develop a guy and scheme effectively so it's not as much of a need if you will. 

3 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I don't think anyone expects a 4th round OT to end up being the starting LT.  If anything, this screams Morgan Moses replacement on RT next year instead.  

Charles has the upside to become a LT if he gets his head on straight over the next couple of years though.  Niang will never be a starting LT in the NFL.  

Edited by tredaddy