Draft Discussion

RedGold

I like the lass. I talked about CEH, Niang and Willie Gay Jr previously. CEH will help us immediately. Niang will provide a potential starting spot as one of the tackles and Willie Gay Jr. should also see immediate time on the field, especially in coverage and hopefully our Coaches can coach him up to unlock his potential. The Day 3 picks are all developement prospects i guess. Sneed and BoPete seem to have high upside as corners. Both have ball skills. BoPete has super long arms to play in press coverage. Sneed is very fast and potentially gets his shot as nickel corner. We'll see what Mike Danna can provide.

I like out UDFA class as well. According to NFL.com the #1 WR, CB and OT and #2 IOL who should give Allegretti a push for his roster spot as backup Center and maybe Reiter as well. Some more LB, some more Corners, all quite interesting guys. We also drafted a Punter, so we get the anual talks of cutting Colquitt and saving money. :D

If there is a training camp, i think it's going to be an interesting one and the battle for the last roster spots could become very interesting, especially on the O-Line, CB position, LBs and RB position. Hell, maybe really on the Punter position. And don't forget about the WR core as well. With Hill, Watkins, Hardman, Robinson and Pringle we seem to have 5 guys set and then Dieter and some practice squad candidates to fight with the UDFA for the last receiver spot. There will be a lot of fan favourites that will be cut or end up on the practice squad and some could really make the team.

• Like 1

The odd pick of the draft is Michael Danna, since NFL.com rated him lower than our 7th rounder or many of our UDFA signings. Why? 

About ten years ago, there used to be a poster in the Green Bay forum named Waldo. He did numerical analysis of the Combine results and projected 3-4 OLB for pass rush. To cut the details short, he evolved a statistical profile to project pass rush based solely on height, weight and the jumps. I'll put the formula below. Anyone that scores over a 1.0 is a good risk, for example Justin Houston. We don't have Dana's Combine numbers, because he was not invited, but he is widely reported to do a 40"-45" vertical, call it 42". With a very ordinary 9'3" (9.25') long jump, it calculates out as 1.06. This puts him in a very select group.

All this is not how the staff, likely meaning Matt House or Brendan Daly, evaluated him. While he did not have a lot of production at Michigan, he only played there one year. Before that he was a monster pass rusher for a bad Michigan Central team. The Chiefs expected him to come out as a junior and that he would have been drafted. However, the numbers below indicate something we can see. In practical terms, he can be in an offensive lineman's house, before the guy has a chance to set his feet. All the evaluators are calling it a reach. I suspect the NFL scouts think differently. 

(vert+3.5*broad)*(weight/height)/3000  so (42 + 3.5*9.25)*(261/6.1)/3000 = 1.06

One comment on BoPete Keyes. At least one source is saying that he would have been a highly sought FA. Drafting him assured control.

J

Edited by onejayhawk
  • Like 2

Here is the full list of UDFA.

Baccellia, Andre | WR | Washington
Ffrench, Maurice | WR | Pittsburgh
Hifo, Aleva | WR | BYU
Lipscomb, Kalija | WR | Vanderbilt
Shelton‐Mosley, Justice | WR | Vanderbilt
White, Cody | WR | Michigan State
Durant, Yasir | T | Missouri
Fair, Jovahn | G | Temple
Williams, Darryl | C | Miss St.
Wharton, Tershawn | DT | Missouri S&T
Cobb, Omari | LB | Marshall
Wright, Bryan | LB | Cincinnati
Clemons, Rodney | S | SMU
Julius, Jalen | S | Ole Miss
Bailey, Hakeem | CB | West Virginia
Davis, Javaris | CB | Auburn
Hill, Lavert | CB | Michigan
Townsend, Tommy | P | Florida

Several, Lipscomb, Durant, Williams, Davis and Hill all have draftable ratings on NFL.com. Javaris Davis (CB-6.11) has a higher rating than first round selection Damon Arnette (CB-6.10), which can be read several ways. It is sufficient to say we have a raft of WR prospects, a couple nice CB prospects and some OL help.

Many of these players will be camp bodies, but some will make the practice squad and it's likely at least one will make the team out of camp. Like the defense, the ST had a rough start last season. This group is loaded with ST possibilities. Lipscomb is a return man, for example. Fast DB make great gunners. 

J

Edited by onejayhawk
  • Like 3

In the same vein as the last post, here is an article with a short bit on each of the signings. The Chiefs are investing some money in the UDFA pool, so I expect at least a couple of these guys may push there way onto the regular roster out of camp, with 3-5 more on PS. 
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2020/4/29/21239635/18-notes-on-chiefs-18-undrafted-free-agents

CBS rankings, undrafted prospects.

Rk Player Pos Team
84 Hunter Bryant TE DET
107 Lamar Jackson CB NEB
110 Alex Taylor OL SCST
114 J.R. Reed S JAC
136 Jared Pinkney TE ATL
141 Javaris Davis CB KC
148 Thaddeus Moss TE WAS
149 Calvin Throckmorton OL NO
151 Trey Adams OL WASH
159 Darryl Williams OL KC
164 Quartney Davis WR MIN
165 Lavert Hill CB KC 
166 Cheyenne O'Grady TE ARK
170 Essang Bassey CB DEN
173 Jacob Breeland TE OREG
176 Myles Bryant CB WASH
178 Grayland Arnold CB PHI
179 Anthony Gordon QB SEA
180 Nevelle Clarke CB MIN
182 Kalija Lipscomb WR KC
183 Aaron Fuller WR SEA
185  Joe Bachie LB NO
191 Nick Coe EDGE AUBURN
197 Yasir Durant OL KC
198 Javelin Guidry CB UTAH
199 James Robinson RB JAC

Edited by onejayhawk

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/25/2020 at 8:01 PM, kingseanjohn said:

But can we stash him on the PS another year? I imagine we'll go with the same 5 this year: Hill, Watkins, Hardman, Robinson, Pringle, then probably Dieter. Does he beat out Pringle or Dieter?

I liked what I've seen of Fortson. Certainly no lack of effort here. I thot he was going to make the team last season.

Edited by mayanfootball

I could see a revolution on the edges of the roster. In addition to everything else, we have a raft of potential special team talent and developmental projects. For some, a possible redshirt year on IL, possibly even someone like 3rd round pick Lucas Niang. The likes of Dieter and Armani Watts will have to prove themselves. For example, Kalija Lipscomb has a reputation as a returner. We have two drafted and two highly regarded UDFA at CB. How many make the roster partly as gunners on ST?

In the middle, I really like the guy we picked up as UDFA, Darryl Williams. He was a multi-year starter in the SEC, so he's been there and seen that and he can play all three interior positions. Some had him rated as high as 5th round. Here is an article on his chances. 
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2020/5/19/21258996/with-improvment-udfa-center-darryl-williams-could-make-final-chiefs-roster-mississippi-state-nfl

11 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

I could see a revolution on the edges of the roster. In addition to everything else, we have a raft of potential special team talent and developmental projects. For some, a possible redshirt year on IL, possibly even someone like 3rd round pick Lucas Niang. The likes of Dieter and Armani Watts will have to prove themselves. For example, Kalija Lipscomb has a reputation as a returner. We have two drafted and two highly regarded UDFA at CB. How many make the roster partly as gunners on ST?

In the middle, I really like the guy we picked up as UDFA, Darryl Williams. He was a multi-year starter in the SEC, so he's been there and seen that and he can play all three interior positions. Some had him rated as high as 5th round. Here is an article on his chances. 
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2020/5/19/21258996/with-improvment-udfa-center-darryl-williams-could-make-final-chiefs-roster-mississippi-state-nfl

I thought Williams would have been drafted in the 5/6th round.

In retrospect, it isn't surprising Williams went undrafted. He has flashes, but he's inconsistent and not particularly athletic. Further, he's had issues with power and the the next level is full of bull rushers. Most years, someone would have throw a bone to him, but this draft was so deep that they didn't. Good for us.

J