Dr. LDT restructures his contract

kingseanjohn

At most this will save like $3.5M. Set to make $6.45M in base salary this year. If we drop it to league minimum, he'll still be making a little under $1M in base this year against the cap. So they'll stretch the remaining like $5.5M across the three years as a prorated signing bonus, so we'll still owe him like $1.8M this year in the form of a prorated bonus from this move. So the $6.45M base will drop to about $1M base + $1.8M additional prorated bonus, so $6.45M to $2.8M. His $2.5M in current bonuses this year won't be impacted. So only like $3.5M or $3.6M in savings, at most. Just estimates, I don't actually know what minimum salary will be, and they may not adjust it that much, depending on their intent.

It does look like all our roster moves are up to date now. Everyone we "signed" is actually officially signed, and we have like $100k in space now. So what this creates will be all we have. So we'll probably come out of this with like $3.75M in cap space. Probably just enough for the rookies (each rookie will cost very minimally, because they'll bump someone off the bottom of our current top 51, so like a $1M cap hit rookie will actually only take like $400k in cap space.)

So I'm guessing it's for the rookies. If it was more money, I'd lean towards Jones. But I don't think $3.5M tips the scale for a Jones deal. I think it's just an inevitably needed move for our draft class.

Interestingly, this does make LDT harder to cut next year. He seemed like a likely cap casualty next year, with a potential $7.25M in savings. That should drop to like $5.45M in savings. Still a potential cap casualty, but more dead money if we went that route....

Yeah i guess it helps us to sign the draft class, through it might not be enough and even if it is enough, we probably will do more moves to create more cap space to get some flexibility for potential signings during the season.

8 hours ago, KC_Guy said:

Some weirdness about this restructure. Now a report is out LDT may be a free agent after 2020 ...

That would explain why the Chiefs spent big on OL during the draft and in UDFA.

Overthecap reflects this. An Eagles style restructure (which I despise, for the record.) Looks like a $5.5M hit this year then an autovoid with $4M in dead cap next year as he hits free agency.

I'd be fine with him moving on. He's a solid G but he has never quite lived up to the extension we gave him, IMO. But man I hate structuring contracts deliberately to pay guys who aren't on the roster anymore. It genuinely pains me to pull up our cap situation and see Berry on there.

I'm intrigued why LDT would agree to this, though. It really doesn't look like he got any more money out of it. It looks like it just gave him a chunk of his 2020 salary up front, and then completely removed 2021 and 2022 from the deal.. I can't imagine that he thinks he'll get more in 2021 and 2022 than what he was set to get from us on that extension. The only thing I can think is we said hey, restructure to this or we cut you anyway, so he went with the route that guarantees him this year's salary, at least.

https://overthecap.com/player/laurent-duvernay-tardif/3139/

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

I'm intrigued why LDT would agree to this, though. It really doesn't look like he got any more money out of it. It looks like it just gave him a chunk of his 2020 salary up front, and then completely removed 2021 and 2022 from the deal.. I can't imagine that he thinks he'll get more in 2021 and 2022 than what he was set to get from us on that extension. The only thing I can think is we said hey, restructure to this or we cut you anyway, so he went with the route that guarantees him this year's salary, at least.

I'm guessing for a shot at free agent money or maybe he's doing one more run and then focusing on being a doctor. Tough to say for sure.

Honestly, if I were him, I'd go with the second route. Try for another ring and then be a doctor. It's still good money but your body isn't taking that beating.

Welp, this is interesting. Basically they ripped up the old contract and gave him a 1-year prove-it deal. Technically it's a renegotiation to avoid acceleration of the remaining portion of the signing bonus, thus probably with two voidable years.

He didn't have any guaranteed money left, so the only bind for the team was the potential cap hit if they released him.

He'll stay for this year, not sure if as a starter. Next year he may be on the outside if the new guys pan out.

43 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

It makes me wonder if the medical side of things has been interfering with football. Obviously, he has a ready made practice in sports medicine, if that is the direction he wants to go.

I belive this is the case.