Baltimore Ravens 2020 NFL Draft Thread

coordinator0

4 hours ago, sp6488 said:

They were incredibly bullish on the Ravens draft

Well they were even higher on the Browns draft than ours FWIW (not sure if you listened to that take).

That all said I got the feeling that while they seemed high on the Ravens draft, it felt more like they were high on it because every year the Ravens do well vs them necessarily being very high on the players selected. They loved Queen no doubt. Felt like they were pretty high on the JKD pick. But then after that they seemed to feel as though they were just like “can’t bet against that pick because of their track record” vs “that was truly an awesome pick” like they were with the Browns where they really loved those guys in the scouting process. Our draft they kind of were just like “yeah it’s good every year so this year it must also be good”. I get the feeling that Brett isn’t the biggest fan of the Ravens.

4 hours ago, Letsch80 said:

They however seemed to be a bit lower on Madibuke and Stone than the rest of the draft experts were.. That is the first piece of analysis I heard that said that Geno Stone wasn't a complete steal in the 7th round..

Yeah I also found that interesting. I don’t agree with it, but I do find it interesting. There were definitely times on tape where he wasn’t dominating, but he also had more times than not where he could cultivate splash plays, plus his athletic profile is pretty remarkable. I think they’ll both look back in a few years and change their tunes on that pick for sure.

That said I do agree with the belief that JK Dobbins can be a banger inside as well as offer the juice that our other backs do not.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Well they were even higher on the Browns draft than ours FWIW (not sure if you listened to that take).

That all said I got the feeling that while they seemed high on the Ravens draft, it felt more like they were high on it because every year the Ravens do well vs them necessarily being very high on the players selected. They loved Queen no doubt. Felt like they were pretty high on the JKD pick. But then after that they seemed to feel as though they were just like “can’t bet against that pick because of their track record” vs “that was truly an awesome pick” like they were with the Browns where they really loved those guys in the scouting process. Our draft they kind of were just like “yeah it’s good every year so this year it must also be good”. I get the feeling that Brett isn’t the biggest fan of the Ravens.

Yeah I also found that interesting. I don’t agree with it, but I do find it interesting. There were definitely times on tape where he wasn’t dominating, but he also had more times than not where he could cultivate splash plays, plus his athletic profile is pretty remarkable. I think they’ll both look back in a few years and change their tunes on that pick for sure.

That said I do agree with the belief that JK Dobbins can be a banger inside as well as offer the juice that our other backs do not.

IIRC, Ken McKusick seems to think he's a guy that will benefit immensely (more than the average DL) from the heavy snap rotation he will see in Baltimore vs. 90%+ he played in college. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sp6488 said:

IIRC, Ken McKusick seems to think he's a guy that will benefit immensely (more than the average DL) from the heavy snap rotation he will see in Baltimore vs. 90%+ he played in college. 

Absolutely. There’s no way I see a guy dominate as readily as he does when he’s on full tilt and not believe he’s not a freakish talent that some combination between coaching and snap health can’t further cultivate his potential. Ngata had some of the same concerns coming out... not to compare the two in level of dominance, but just in terms of collegiate struggle.

I had a discussion with some danish analysts. They are very much into the analytics and stats stuff - (I disagree with most of it), and based on their evaluation, there are some things that makes their board differ on certain prospects. After the draft we discussed this "this team got an A, this team got a C", approach that we see in media, which is somewhat stupid as we know nothing about what the players will turn out to be - nor if teams actually got good value as we don't know the board on 32 teams.

So the way we can evaluate more precisely is if people have done a thorough ranking based on a scouting proces, so basically 90% of drafted players have a predetermined ranking  - then you can say "based on our board, team A got good value", and have a ranking that way.

Now, teams have different needs, which then have to be taken into account when evaluating. There will also be some certain specific scheme fits, which again has to be taken into account, so all this draft evaluations takes 1. a lot of background work, 2. a lot of knowledge of teams schemes, 3. teams values etc.

A.J. Epenesa to the Ravens in the second round would have been a traditional A+ pick in evaluations. Team need, fit the scheme, fit the values, seemed like good value in the draft.

With Dobbins some have to twist and turns to make it a good pick. Not a team need but fit the values and scheme and had good value.  

Honestly I take a lot of the evaluations with a grain of salt, but try to see how other people view the players skills and strengths and weaknesses and what teams can do with them.

A reason I don't have these evaluations in high regard - there are a lot of A's thrown out there by experts and media pundits and fans - and we know every year that is not true

On 5/13/2020 at 10:38 AM, diamondbull424 said:

For those who are a fan of Brett Kollman and his draft takes....

Listened to their UDFA breakdown. They have QB Tyler Huntley as one of their top-10 UDFAs league-wide. I maintain that I think Breeland has the best shot at the roster, but perhaps McSorley shouldn't necessarily think he's safe at QB3.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Breeland hype is reminding me a little too much of the Gerald Willis hype from last year. 

Willis did end up playing two games in the league last year FWIW. I would say the difference also is that Breeland has a much clearer path to the roster. 

Unless a veteran is signed I think it's a pretty sure bet that Breeland or Wolf make the roster. Scarff is there too and has the benefit of already being around for a year but I'm not placing any bets on him. 

Or, what would be really cool is if the team thinks Ricard can take on the bulk of the 3rd TE duties and then Rechsteiner makes the team. The type of throwback FB with capability of running the ball. Defend that.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Unless a veteran is signed I think it's a pretty sure bet that Breeland or Wolf make the roster. Scarff is there too and has the benefit of already being around for a year but I'm not placing any bets on him. 

Or, what would be really cool is if the team thinks Ricard can take on the bulk of the 3rd TE duties and then Rechsteiner makes the team. The type of throwback FB with capability of running the ball. Defend that.

Short yardage situation with Rechsteiner running behind Ricard 😱🧐

3 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Short yardage situation with Rechsteiner running behind Ricard 😱🧐

Or Ingram running behind Rechsteiner running behind Ricard off of an unbalanced line to the right side that’s composed of:

DJ Fluker, Orlando Brown Jr, Tyre Phillips, and Nick Boyle.

Andrews of course lined up on the opposite side of the formation just for the PA pass threat off a bootleg.

Whose stopping that?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sp6488 said:

Listened to their UDFA breakdown. They have QB Tyler Huntley as one of their top-10 UDFAs league-wide. I maintain that I think Breeland has the best shot at the roster, but perhaps McSorley shouldn't necessarily think he's safe at QB3.

Yup. I think I mentioned it elsewhere. I looked over Huntley’s collegiate gametape as well as Trace McSorely coming out. I had McSorely in every mock draft as a late round option in the 2019 draft...

Tyler Huntley is the superior player. McSorely’s only likelihood of beating him out is because of a) seniority and b) less time for Huntley to learn the playbook... two huge reasons, but still.

Beyond that though Huntley if this were a normal NFL offseason, I think he beats McSorely out for the position of QB3 with McSorely going to the practice squad. Huntley reminds me of Tyrod Taylor which is a guy who can be a very efficient game manager, has a live arm that can make all the throws, very good athleticism... but is just a level below the requisite levels needed to be “special”. McSorely is a good leader and is athletic, but a JAG. His arm isn’t live at all and would need to be heavily insulated if he ever had to see Gametime.

2 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Yup. I think I mentioned it elsewhere. I looked over Huntley’s collegiate gametape as well as Trace McSorely coming out. I had McSorely in every mock draft as a late round option in the 2019 draft...

Tyler Huntley is the superior player. McSorely’s only likelihood of beating him out is because of a) seniority and b) less time for Huntley to learn the playbook... two huge reasons, but still.

Beyond that though Huntley if this were a normal NFL offseason, I think he beats McSorely out for the position of QB3 with McSorely going to the practice squad. Huntley reminds me of Tyrod Taylor which is a guy who can be a very efficient game manager, has a live arm that can make all the throws, very good athleticism... but is just a level below the requisite levels needed to be “special”. McSorely is a good leader and is athletic, but a JAG. His arm isn’t live at all and would need to be heavily insulated if he ever had to see Gametime.

Huntley is also more of a style fit behind Lamar (to add to everything you said in the quoted).

FWIW, I don't think RG3 is going anywhere this season. He's cheap and offers a lot of peace of mind as the guy to step in for a series or game if needed.

• Like 1