NFL Draft 2020 Discussion Thread

theJ

2 hours ago, BengalsBite said:

When I watched Kareem after we drafted him, I saw an explosive burst on specific types of plays but then a horrible get off on plays that didn’t require an explosive burst. Almost seems like he takes plays off when he thinks he has no chance of making a play. I don’t get why every write I read about him says he has average burst off the ball when it seems like he picks and chooses when to try off the snap

I can agree here. I think part of it is a stamina issue. He might need to drop a little weight might help with stamina. He has a home made pro day workout video on YouTube that anyone who is curious should check out. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Counselor said:

I can agree here. I think part of it is a stamina issue. He might need to drop a little weight might help with stamina. He has a home made pro day workout video on YouTube that anyone who is curious should check out. 

He's going to be a backup.  His job is to come in and ball out for a few plays, then return to the sidelines.  He will need to build stamina to be a starter.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Is it just me, or does this years undrafted free agents for the Bengals seem like the most uninspired group they've ever had.  There is usually 1-2 guys i'm excited we got signed, but this year just seems like a whole bunch of meh.

They are, but with a solid draft and depth at a bunch of positions, guys are looking elsewhere to have a better shot at the 53.  Surprised we couldn't get a better TE

Just now, INbengalfan said:

They are, but with a solid draft and depth at a bunch of positions, guys are looking elsewhere to have a better shot at the 53.  Surprised we couldn't get a better TE

I'm still surprised Thad Moss didn't want to hook back up with Burrow.  Seems like the perfect scenario of opportunity and familiarity.

• Like 3

I wonder if the bengals even went after Moss. His relationship with Burrow, being basically best friends, might have been a problem had they had to cut him. And if they didn’t cut him and he was like the last TE on the roster, some people in the locker room might think they only kept Moss because he’s best friends with Burrow. I just think it would have been safer to just let him go elsewhere than make him a priority to bring in given he’s an udfa and wasn’t someone being mentioned in the early round conversation. 

As for the udfa class we did sign, I am intrigued by Scotty Washington. He seems fun to watch. And he seems raw in my uneducated opinion

4 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

We still have the #1 waiver priority too

We're going to need to make use of that. Problem is when vets of 4 or more years get cut, they go straight to free agency. So our chances of picking up an overpaid vet who loses his job aren't that good. We need much better players than XSF, Hart, and Uzomah on the right side of our line but the team seems satisfied with them. 

5 hours ago, sparky151 said:

We're going to need to make use of that. Problem is when vets of 4 or more years get cut, they go straight to free agency. So our chances of picking up an overpaid vet who loses his job aren't that good. We need much better players than XSF, Hart, and Uzomah on the right side of our line but the team seems satisfied with them. 

We're rebuilding.  Why take an aging, overpriced vet when you have a shot at younger guys with upside?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sparky151 said:

That has to the company line.  It's been than publicly flogging your starting RG and RT in April.

15 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

We're rebuilding.  Why take an aging, overpriced vet when you have a shot at younger guys with upside?

The point of strengthening the line is to give the younger guys with upside a chance. If Burrow takes a beating like Klingler took, we won't learn much about his abilities. 

• 3 weeks later...

Watched a couple Tee Higgins 2019 highlight videos and have several thoughts

• ELITE ball skills.  Adjust to the ball in the air like a pro already, great body control
  • Definitely a hands catcher, which I love.  You let the ball get into your body and it's going to bounce off your pads at some point
  • The lack of separation on go routes is definitely there, you can tell Lawrence just trusted him to go up and get it
  • Lawrence really doesn't drop the ball into a bucket very well.  The arm strength is apparent, but when he has to take something off, it isn't precise. Higgins routinely has to slow down his route and fight through the DB for the ball.  This is on highlights even, let alone incompletions.  Makes me appreciate Burrow more for using the correct amount of arm on throws.
  • On ins, outs, and slants Higgins is pretty good about using his body to wall off and does get separation from the college DB's on the change of direction, although I think his footwork can definitely be improved, and will need to be improved against NFL DBs
  • Watch his 2019 highlights and you'll see a few catches where he lays out horizontally that reminds me of Chad Johnson
  • Good hands fighter.  You can see him use good arm extension and hand placement both to break press and to get untied from coverage as he gets ready to go after the ball.  Disciplined enough to disengage but not push off.
  • Doesn't dance around trying to make guys miss.  It's typically one move and go and then it's just about maximizing the yards on that catch.  Unless you have elite agility, this is the way to be.
  • It's pretty clear on tape that he has more juice and more wiggle than just a big possession WR like Auden Tate, which is why he's a top of 2nd rd pick vs 7th rd pick.  Maybe i'm drinking the kool aid, but I believe the lackluster pro day was mostly just coming off rehab.  The athleticism and burst is on tape.  It's not Jalen Reagor burst, but he's also 3 inches taller and 15 pounds heavier than Reagor with better ball skills.
  • Good functional strength and balance.  He's not getting knocked over by a shove, you better tackle Higgins to the ground if you want to make sure he goes down.
  • Averaged 19.6 ypc in 2019 on 59 receptions and had 13 TD's.  I wonder how many quarters he sat out because Clemson was up big?
  • Burrow is going to love throwing to Higgins.  If AJ and Ross are healthy, Burrow might throw for 4500+ yards this year.
  • Like 2