NFL Draft 2020 Discussion Thread

theJ

Just now, johndeere1707 said:

I mean yeah it’s a possibility. But knowing our luck we go WR in the 2nd and he rides the bench all year. 

I doubt it, someone always gets hurt.  Tate got hurt last year too for that matter.  Not to mention I want to see the Bengals incorporate some of the 5 wide stuff that LSU did this year that Burrow just carved up SEC defenses with

• Like 1

Tate                                            Jonah - Jordan - Hopkins - Johnson - Hart                                                                                     Mims 

Green                                                                                             Ross                        Boyd

Burrow

Tell me that lineup isn't exciting

• Like 1

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Cleveland isn't a plug and play RT.  Huge upside and very athletic, but he's not a finished product.  I just don't think they can pass on Jones or Mims, both of whom might be gone in 6-7-8 picks.  Jones is a plug and play RT with upside.  Mims could turn into a WR1 on the outside.

Cleveland might not be plug and play from day one. But he will be ready to go pretty quick. If we can get a 4th to move back a few spots and still land Jones/Mims, Cleveland/Higgins, Baun and shore up one of our 3 biggest weaknesses. Package our 2 4ths to get back into the mid to high 3rd and shore up the other 2. There’s a chance you still get Mims or Jones at 37 or 38 and you can then get ADG and another OL or WR in the 3rd. That is best case scenario for me. 

I like our current receiver corps,  but adding another to the group would really help our success. Burrow thrived last year with several receiving options and to make sure we have the same opportunity for success,  we should try to improve our depth. So a wide receiver here has a good chance to be successful and contribute this year.  Not to mention,  we've had some very good success over the years in round 2 at receiver. 

I like Baun a lot. I think he can be a big time defensive playmaker.  I'm not convinced that either of those tackles is a right tackle this year. I'd like to grab Niang in the third if he's there.

For me,  it's Baun or Mims.

25 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

Lapham was saying Josh Jones has shorter arms than then Bengals typically go for in a tackle.

Jonah Williams? 

For me, its Jones or Mims. Outside of that, I’d be a little upset. I could understand a few other guys but I’d still be a little upset it’s not those two

Edited by BengalsBite

2 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

OT and LB are more critical to our team success this year than WR

I think my rebuttal to this, for the next 20 years, is going to be: Billy Price.

If they draft all-pros, it doesn't matter what position they are.  They'll get on the field, contribute, and cover up the deficiencies elsewhere.  A few years, Geno the wrecking ball covered up all sorts of issues behind him and made the other guys look good.  Likewise an offense that can put up 30/game is going to cover up a multitude of issues on defense.

I said it before, and i'll say it again now.  If they can grab a few pieces at positions that are already good, they can turn good into great, and make something a strength of the team.  Those strengths cover up other issues.  That's a far better method to success than just trying to make everything adequate.  

Also, would it be such a bad to thing to have the rookie displace Ross at some point this year?  Would it be a bad thing to have 5 viable targets for Joe to throw to?  WR is a position that's tough to be too deep at.  They're all going to play at some point, and most receivers don't play 100% of the snaps anyway.

9 minutes ago, BengalsBite said:

Oh no.. if this is the case please take Mims 😭

What’s wrong with Blacklock? I won’t lie there are others I’d prefer (specifically Mims), but Blacklock is far from a bad pick. We need someone to groom behind Geno and rush the pass on third downs.

This tweet fits into the narrative that the Bengals like their offensive line more than the general public is lead to believe. 

• Like 1

Blacklock is a 4-3 UT only imo, and a little undersized at that.  Geno worked at his size, because he is an athletic freak who is unimaginably strong, and Geno still weighed a few pounds more than Blacklock while being 2 inches shorter.  Blacklock doesn't have the long arms of a 3-4 DE, although I think he'd at least be passable there, but it's not the kind of player he is.  Spending 33 on a poor mans Geno to back him up for 2 years before becoming a full time player IF everything works out.  I wouldn't hate Blacklock as a pick, but I wouldn't be that excited either.  It would improve the nickel pass rush since we could stop trying to kick DE's inside (which hasn't worked for us), but he's not a guy I'd take over Jones or Mims or half a dozen other guys.

2 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Blacklock is a 4-3 UT only imo, and a little undersized at that.  Geno worked at his size, because he is an athletic freak who is unimaginably strong, and Geno still weighed a few pounds more than Blacklock while being 2 inches shorter.  Blacklock doesn't have the long arms of a 3-4 DE, although I think he'd at least be passable there, but it's not the kind of player he is.  Spending 33 on a poor mans Geno to back him up for 2 years before becoming a full time player IF everything works out.  I wouldn't hate Blacklock as a pick, but I wouldn't be that excited either.  It would improve the nickel pass rush since we could stop trying to kick DE's inside (which hasn't worked for us), but he's not a guy I'd take over Jones or Mims or half a dozen other guys.

I hear ya, but I’m not too worried about him fitting into the 34 base. 75% of the time we will be in nickel anyway, and he’ll be asked to rush the passer as a UT. 

I remember reading a report about Anarumo emphasizing the need to reduce Geno’s snaps, so this makes sense. But you’re right, there are other directions I’d rather go, personally. Give me Mims.

3 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Tate                                            Jonah - Jordan - Hopkins - Johnson - Hart                                                                                     Mims 

Green                                                                                             Ross                        Boyd

Burrow

Tell me that lineup isn't exciting

Why don't I know who Johnson is?  Am I getting old?