NFL Draft 2020 Discussion Thread

theJ

22 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

What about Prince Wanagho?

I think it's down to Prince, Dye, Davis Gaither, or a DE.  They could really shock us and take Peoples Jones, and trade Ross and Erickson for peanuts.

Peoples Jones never impressed me.  I suppose it's possible that he's a better pro than college player,  but I never saw what made him a big recruit.

Prince can play on the left,  although he is known more as a pass blocker than a run blocker and needs a few seasons before he could be a quality starter.  Hart is better than him right now. 

My sense is that the Bengals are targeting position groups in this order:

1. DL/Edge (James Lynch, Leki Fotu, Jason Strowbridge, Curtis Weaver, Bradlee Anae) - I'll group these two together because, more than anything, I think we're looking to add to the pass rush; whether that be from inside on passing downs or as a spell on the edge remains to be seen depending on the BPA. 

2. Offensive Line (Ben Bartch, John Simpson, Prince Tego Wanogho, Saahdiq Charles) - This is the area of the draft where the Bengals look to add some developmental lineman. Guard may be the weakest position on the roster currently, so I feel as though they could look to add one of Jim Turner's bigger, mauler types (like a John Simpson) to compete right away at RG. 

3T. Cornerback (Amik Robertson, K'Von Wallace, Troy Pride Jr., Bryce Hall, Darnay Holmes) - CB looks stacked at the moment, but half out starting CBs are on expiring deals. Robertson could replace Alexander in 2021 at nickel, or we could look to develop a boundary corner like Pride Jr.

3T. Linebacker (Akeem Davis-Gaither, Troy Dye) - Do we double down this early at a position without a ton of value? We will likely double dip at some point, but 4th might be too early. I love ADG, and would have happily taken him in the 3rd. He's really good value here, so if they decide to go that direction you'll hear no complaints from me. 

5. Tight end (Hunter Bryant, Albert Okwuegbunam) - If they do go this direction I expect it to me more of a move TE, and not a blocker. 

I'm hoping we take one of the bolded first.

Edited by SmittyBacall

2 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

Peoples Jones never impressed me.  I suppose it's possible that he's a better pro than college player,  but I never saw what made him a big recruit.

Prince can play on the left,  although he is known more as a pass blocker than a run blocker and needs a few seasons before he could be a quality starter.  Hart is better than him right now. 

DPJ was hampered by extremely poor QB play.  He was one of the guys I was considering if we didn't go WR early (first two days).  Definitely not a need pick

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

That ship has sailed. That's the downside of playing hardball with offers, eventually people are going to pass and you're left with nothing.

I think he eventually gets his release. 

He has too. With him on the roster we don’t have enough money to sign our draft picks. Let alone extend Mixon or WJ3.