NFL Draft 2020 Discussion Thread

theJ

18 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I really don’t like him as a prospect and don’t see the fascination with him. He’s a good athlete with a big frame and a big arm. We’ve seen it a hundred times before. He lacks the intricacies of the position that make QBs successful. He’s not a rhythmic passer, lacking touch and anticipation, while heavily relying on a one-dimensional fastball. He doesn’t have great pocket presence or an ability to extend the play - he mostly looks to take off and run. His accuracy is more sporadic than you’d like to see. He ran a gimmicky offense that mostly relied on screens and one-read plays. I don’t think he amounts to much of anything as a pro.

There are plenty of QBs who have tools and intelligence that bust - ask Mitch Trubisky, Jake Locker, or Josh Freeman. It takes more than that to be a successful QB, it doesn’t matter if your coach is Bill Belichek or not. 

Have you watched him play? What do you like about his film that translates to being a successful pro? 

I thought the exact same thing watching him live and in January thru March.  Somewhere I read about his winning the academic Heisman and irt got me to thinking.... maybe he makes his reads too fast.  Then I watched some games and watched how fast he was moving his head.  Obviously I am assuming that he was making reads.  If he's reading too fast, then he dumps it off to his outlet or takes off.  I could be way off.  

But if this is what is happening, then a good QB coach can slow him down and let him progress a bit slower.  As for his bad mechanics, there are plenty of people to work with him on that (House, or someone similar).

1 hour ago, theJ said:

Some history with that number.  But if he's as good as advertised, he'll make it his own.

Andy Dalton got Ken Anderson's number. They gave David Klingler Boomer's number. Burrow can have 9 if he wants it.  I could see talking to Huber about 10 or doing something completely different,  but odds are 9 in my head.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

Andy Dalton got Ken Anderson's number. They gave David Klingler Boomer's number. Burrow can have 9 if he wants it.  I could see talking to Huber about 10 or doing something completely different,  but odds are 9 in my head.

Yeah i imagine he'll take #9.

58 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

maybe he makes his reads too fast.  Then I watched some games and watched how fast he was moving his head.

If this is true it's a lack of feel/timing which is extremely difficult to coach. It has to do with instincts more than it does intelligence.