Can the NFL start training camp in August and still have the season on time

viper952

I'm not seeing it either.

Keep hearing snippets from random people in random positions about fall sports not happening.

Now, I think the NFL could go to the players and say that they should all play in empty stadiums because it's more about TV money anyways - and with how sport-starved the world would be by September, ratings would surely be the best ever - what the players need to decide is - are you okay with abandoning social distancing to get paid? Because the other part of this is....I really doubt they pay the players anything if the season is delayed and they aren't practicing. The only reason (IMO) the NBA has kept paying is because this all happened mid-season.

2 hours ago, TENINCH said:

It's an American sport. It's capable of anything it wants.

Training camp is the most over rated event in all of professional sports. As long as the players keep themselves in reasonable physical condition TC need not last more than a few to several days of conditioning. Almost everybody on the roster already knows what to do. Only the new guys need more. That would be 2 weeks of chalk talk and no contact walk/run throughs.

1 minute ago, TVScout said:

Training camp is the most over rated event in all of professional sports. As long as the players keep themselves in reasonable physical condition TC need not last more than a few to several days of conditioning. Almost everybody on the roster already knows what to do. Only the new guys need more. That would be 2 weeks of chalk talk and no contact walk/run throughs.

Agreed. A good product can be put on the field within a week.

I think the NFL will spend money on certain things and when in camp players are limited to be at home as majority are in a hotel or something. If the equipment they carry can test players on a daily basis for symptoms of COVID, then limit people around the players. No media, no fans etc. I do not see why they cannot get training camp going at the time they are suppose to. The mini-camps and OTAs should be cancelled, TC starts mid july so your talking 3 months from now. In the US we have been in quarantine about 5 weeks so its not like it is out of the realm that the season starts on time, just limit the population around the players and coaching staff