Are you Smarter than an NFL GM (2020 Edition)

Forge

With my final pick, #245 in this here NFL draft, I had a tough time. Guys I'm considering: 

Hunter Bryant, TE, Washington. 

Thad Moss, TE, LSU

Alex Taylor, OT, South Carolina State

Trey Adams, OT, Washington

Brian Cole, S, Miss St

Numerous running backs...

And even though my fun developmental prospects never work whenever I draft them at the end, I'm going to continue that trend here. 

Give me, Alex Taylor, OT, South Carolina State! 

Really tough call over Hunter Bryant, who I believe actually would have a chance to make this team 

Here is my final Are you Smarter than tally for 2020:

• did not trade down from 13 to 14
  • did not trade up from #31
  • did trade for Trent Williams
  • did trade Matt Breida
  • did trade Goodwin. 

#13 - Tristan Wirfs, OL, Iowa

#31 - Xavier McKinney, S, Alabama

#153 - Tyler Johnson, WR, Minn

#176 - Bradlee Anae, DL, Utah

#190 - Charlie Taumoepeau, TE (though we are converting him to FB), Portland State

#217 - Javaris Davis, CB, Auburn

#245 - Alex Taylor, OT, South Carolina State

My plan is to do a full write up later of the selections, what I passed on, etc. 

Cos i went back to bed instead of watching the horrible coverage of day three 

Here is my final 2020 Are you smarter results

• did not trade down from 13 to 14
  • did not trade up from #31
  • did trade for Trent Williams
  • did trade Matt Breida
  • did trade Goodwin. 

#13 - Tristian Wirfs, OL, IOWA

#31 - Julian Okwarra, Edge, Notre Dame

#153 - Bryce Hall , CB, UVA

#176 - Bradlee Anae, DL, Utah

#190 - James Proche, WR, SMU

#217 - K.J. Hill, WR, Ohio State

#245 - Trey Adams, OT, Wash

i think i did ok 

Someone tell me if my picks are wrong. It's kinda hard to keep track of what picks I have in my phone.

--I did trade down from 13 to 14

--I did not trade up from 31

--I did trade for Trent Williams

--I did trade Marquis Goodwin

--I did trade Matt Breida

14. Jerry Jeudy WR, Alabama

31. Matt Hennessy C, Temple

117. Bryce Hall CB, Virginia

153. Colton McKivitz T/G, WVU

176. Prince Tega Wanogho T, Auburn

190. Kahlil Davis DT, Nebraska

217. Eno Benjamin RB, ASU

Edited by Geek

9 minutes ago, John232 said:

Yo, I think I have pick 245.

1-14 Ceedee Lamb

1-31 Ross Blalock.

1-117 Reggie Robinson

153- Prince-Tega Wanogho

176 -  TE Hunter Bryant

190 - Eno Benjamin

217 - Bryce Huff

245- Trey Adams. 

You don't have 245 if you traded down to 14

Trying to do this with how I would have acted in the moment and with as little hindsight as possible. However, I am absolutely handling the first pick with the knowledge that Joe Staley retired and that we can make the Trent Williams trade, because I think that really affects how you handle the first pick in this game: 

Accept the trade down to #14. Accept Trent Williams Trade.

1.14 - Javon Kinlaw, DT, South Carolina

Stay at #31.

1.31 - Tee Higgins, WR, Clemson

4.117 - Bryce Hall, CB, Wisconsin

Accept Breida trade.

5.153 - Colton McKivitz, OL, West Virginia

5.176 - Alohi Gilman, S, Notre Dame

Accept Goodwin trade.

6.190 - Charlie Woerner, TE, Georgia

7.222 - Eno Benjamin, RB, Arizona State

Here is sort of a 49ers draft review, Y2's reasonings behind his picks:

With the knowledge that we needed a tackle and had a tackle trade in the works, I don't take Wirfs at #13 (which would have been my initial choice had I been paying attention on Thursday). Lamb is so tempting at #14, but I don't like the defensive tackle options at #25 (in hindsight) or #31, and I don't really love Solomon Thomas, even in his best positional fit yet. I don't love Kinlaw's injury history, but I'm willing to make the 4-5 year bet on him as a way to fill the defense's biggest hole. I didn't like the idea of trading up for Aiyuk in this scenario, and Tee Higgins was my #4 WR anyway. Shanny felt differently - cool. Love Aiyuk (my #5) and I'm confident he'll do well here. But much like I chose AJ Brown over Deebo, I'm second-guessing and going Higgins over Aiyuk.

Bryce Hall was my choice in the 4th. If we had made a trade back from #31, presumably involving a 3rd, I'd have accepted the trade and taken Hall in the 3rd. Love McKivitz and I'm keeping the pick. In reality, I'd have preferred Tyler Biadasz and Bryce Hall than Bryce Hall and McKivitz, and I could have made that happen but it would have been disingenuous. Instead, I'll be the double homer and keep McKivitz. I think he's most definitely a guard and really don't love his projection to tackle. But I don't care much about that, because RG is the current major weak spot, and I love Brunskill at OT so don't really need McKivitz to be there. Plus - it might be a pretty moot point because I feel the team and Williams will both be motivated to sign an extension for at least 2021/2022 to align with McGlinchey's last controlled years anyway. I love Gilman and he has a lot of really awesome traits. I make this pick with the knowledge of the extra roster spots on game day. I don't think I'd make it with a 53-man roster, because I don't think he'd beat out any of our current four safeties in year one (he'd need to add some size to replace Harris). But he has potential I really like and he would easily be a great contributor on Special Teams in year one. 

Woerner I kept, not because I am really attached to the prospect right now, but because I think in 3-4 years, Woerner is going to be the type of player whose value seems like it should have been a lot more obvious at the time. We needed a blocking tight end because Toilolo played a low-key important role on our 2019 team. Woerner is the only player to date who fits that description for the 2020 squad, and I think the team really recognized the importance of it. This leads to me that there might be relatively high expectations for Woerner's ability to handle that as a 6th round rookie player.

With the final pick, I take Eno Benjamin. I don't necessarily dislike the Jauan Jennings pick, because the 7th round is absolutely where you gamble on a guy like that. And - with the extra roster spots and no truly proven WR anywhere on the roster (yes, including Deebo - once is a coincidence, twice is a trend, look at Pettis - love Deebo, but he needs to do it more than once), I think this is a position where the bump to 55 roster spots means you can keep seven guys you're trying to develop at once to let the cream rise to the top. Jennings could then possibly double as one of those players who are on the practice squad during the week, but also on the gameday roster. So - I have nothing against that. And I'd like to believe as they were watching Arizona State tape that their thought process regarding Benjamin was "we know he's not needed because of the top four guys we plan on having, but if he's undrafted let's look at him," because Benjamin is one of my favorite RBs in this draft and I think he could have been a home run in this offense. I love his vision and shiftiness and think he could easily have the same sort of impact as Breida had. This pick is also just as much about my vision for 2020 for McKinnon (2 straight missed season due to a bad knee) and 2021 for McKinnon (UFA), Coleman (UFA), and Wilson (RFA). I'm also not exactly thrilled Benjamin was added to an offense that had already given us so much trouble. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

Trying to do this with how I would have acted in the moment and with as little hindsight as possible. However, I am absolutely handling the first pick with the knowledge that Joe Staley retired and that we can make the Trent Williams trade, because I think that really affects how you handle the first pick in this game: 

Accept the trade down to #14. Accept Trent Williams Trade.

1.14 - Javon Kinlaw, DT, South Carolina

Stay at #31.

1.31 - Tee Higgins, WR, Clemson

4.117 - Bryce Hall, CB, Wisconsin

Accept Breida trade.

5.153 - Colton McKivitz, OL, West Virginia

5.176 - Alohi Gilman, S, Notre Dame

Accept Goodwin trade.

6.190 - Charlie Woerner, TE, Georgia

7.222 - Eno Benjamin, RB, Arizona State

Here is sort of a 49ers draft review, Y2's reasonings behind his picks:

With the knowledge that we needed a tackle and had a tackle trade in the works, I don't take Wirfs at #13 (which would have been my initial choice had I been paying attention on Thursday). Lamb is so tempting at #14, but I don't like the defensive tackle options at #25 (in hindsight) or #31, and I don't really love Solomon Thomas, even in his best positional fit yet. I don't love Kinlaw's injury history, but I'm willing to make the 4-5 year bet on him as a way to fill the defense's biggest hole. I didn't like the idea of trading up for Aiyuk in this scenario, and Tee Higgins was my #4 WR anyway. Shanny felt differently - cool. Love Aiyuk (my #5) and I'm confident he'll do well here. But much like I chose AJ Brown over Deebo, I'm second-guessing and going Higgins over Aiyuk.

Bryce Hall was my choice in the 4th. If we had made a trade back from #31, presumably involving a 3rd, I'd have accepted the trade and taken Hall in the 3rd. Love McKivitz and I'm keeping the pick. In reality, I'd have preferred Tyler Biadasz and Bryce Hall than Bryce Hall and McKivitz, and I could have made that happen but it would have been disingenuous. Instead, I'll be the double homer and keep McKivitz. I think he's most definitely a guard and really don't love his projection to tackle. But I don't care much about that, because RG is the current major weak spot, and I love Brunskill at OT so don't really need McKivitz to be there. Plus - it might be a pretty moot point because I feel the team and Williams will both be motivated to sign an extension for at least 2021/2022 to align with McGlinchey's last controlled years anyway. I love Gilman and he has a lot of really awesome traits. I make this pick with the knowledge of the extra roster spots on game day. I don't think I'd make it with a 53-man roster, because I don't think he'd beat out any of our current four safeties in year one (he'd need to add some size to replace Harris). But he has potential I really like and he would easily be a great contributor on Special Teams in year one. 

Woerner I kept, not because I am really attached to the prospect right now, but because I think in 3-4 years, Woerner is going to be the type of player whose value seems like it should have been a lot more obvious at the time. We needed a blocking tight end because Toilolo played a low-key important role on our 2019 team. Woerner is the only player to date who fits that description for the 2020 squad, and I think the team really recognized the importance of it. This leads to me that there might be relatively high expectations for Woerner's ability to handle that as a 6th round rookie player.

With the final pick, I take Eno Benjamin. I don't necessarily dislike the Jauan Jennings pick, because the 7th round is absolutely where you gamble on a guy like that. And - with the extra roster spots and no truly proven WR anywhere on the roster (yes, including Deebo - once is a coincidence, twice is a trend, look at Pettis - love Deebo, but he needs to do it more than once), I think this is a position where the bump to 55 roster spots means you can keep seven guys you're trying to develop at once to let the cream rise to the top. Jennings could then possibly double as one of those players who are on the practice squad during the week, but also on the gameday roster. So - I have nothing against that. And I'd like to believe as they were watching Arizona State tape that their thought process regarding Benjamin was "we know he's not needed because of the top four guys we plan on having, but if he's undrafted let's look at him," because Benjamin is one of my favorite RBs in this draft and I think he could have been a home run in this offense. I love his vision and shiftiness and think he could easily have the same sort of impact as Breida had. This pick is also just as much about my vision for 2020 for McKinnon (2 straight missed season due to a bad knee) and 2021 for McKinnon (UFA), Coleman (UFA), and Wilson (RFA). I'm also not exactly thrilled Benjamin was added to an offense that had already given us so much trouble. 

I'd swap Higgins for Mims but other than that we're in total unison. Well almost...I'm with you on Biadasz over McKivitz also but I can live with the choice they made. Where we disagree is playing McKivitz@RG. I'm going to go on record as being against it. Its just going to be more of the same if he's their answer at that spot. He'll be Person with a little more nasty...and that's not good enough imo. But I'll let him prove me wrong. 

Edited by 757-NINER