Draft Day Mock Draft!!! (W/ TWO Trades)(Only Up To Third Round, Will UPDATE Rounds 4-7 during Day 2).

YogiBiz

1. The New York Giants trade the 4th Pick in the NFL draft to the Jacksonville Jaguars for picks # 9, 73, & 206 along with EDGE Yannick Ngakoue. 
    • After his most recent twitter battle with Khan, Yannick's price is dropping rapidly. In this scenario, Yannick is worth a low 2nd/early third rounder, but in actuality, Yannick is worth closer to a low first. The Giants buy low, because A. he publicly wants out of Jacksonville, and B. His price, thanks to the franchise tag is high , and we will likely shell out a big contract for the 25 Year Old EDGE Rusher. This trade makes a ton of sense for both sides; it especially makes sense if Jacksonville wants a QB as rumors suggest. Jacksonville can move up to get their guy, and offload a guy who will be a problem by just not playing. On our end, we stay in the top 10 with an excellent chance to grab a top tier OT or defensive prospect. 
    • With the 9th Pick in the NFL Draft The New York Giants select - Mekhi Becton - OT - Louisville Cardinals
      • Becton is a player I have been banging the table for, for a while now. I believe he has the skills to be a starter at LT from day 1. He has some extremely clean footwork. It's very rarely that you see Becton lose balance, which is amazing considering his size. He hits his landmarks consistently and showcases surprising agility to stay in front of speed rushers. He has one of the hottest running motor out of all the OT's in this draft, and does not rest until the player opposite him is either buried in the turf or being flung through the air. While this wont work as often in the NFL if he doesn't transform his Superman-esque Punch Power with actually gripping onto his opponents with better placement. But boy is this big man clean on the perimeter. I believe Becton has the potential to be a perennial Pro-Bowl talent at LT with the right coaching. 
  2. With the 36th Pick in the NFL Draft, The New York Giants select - Grant Delpit - S - Louisiana State Tigers
    • Delpit's tape is one of most interesting watches in the draft. When looking at his coverage skills, he has the whole package. He can align on the slot WR or TE's and match up with them in press. He is super fluid as well having the ability to move stride for stride with shiftier wide-outs. He is really physical at the catch point as well, I love watching him crowd WR at the ball. In single high coverage he has the athleticism and instincts to meet receivers at the top of their routes. He makes plays on the ball that a normal player would never be in the position to do. If his reported 4.39 40 Speed (from LSU pro day) is legit, you are looking at a special athlete that can delete the deep portion of the field. You are looking at a potential All-Pro. That is, until you start watching him "trying" to tackle people. His want is there, as is his urgency. He just lowers his and goes low, instead of trying to wrap up. Which is alarming considering his top notch length, and athleticism. He also hits with power and can absolutely level an unsuspecting Receiver. But god is he a bad tackler and it seems he is really trying his damnedest to protect his left clavicle, but with proper coaching on how to tackle he will be special. But damn is he a bad tackler. If Ruiz is on the board right here, we take him. I honestly think the Cowboys ****** him up at 17 though. 
  3. The New York Giants trade picks #73, 110, 238, 247 and 2021 2nd Round Pick to the Minnesota Vikings for pick #58. 
    • The Vikings want more picks, and without much cap space to speak of next year, want to add ways to be able to get better next off season. While we do have a few more wholes to fill after adding Becton, Delpit, and Ngakoue (through trade), we now have the pieces in place to get aggressive. We ship off some capital next year to grab a guy I think we would be ecstatic to add. 
    • With the 58th Pick in the NFL Draft, the New York Giants select - Lloyd Cushenberry - OC - Louisiana State Tigers
      • The G-Men need some help on the interior. While a player like Pulley can get us through another season if need be, he needs to moved on from ASAP. He's average, and that is me being friendly. Cushenberry projects nicely with his plus movement ability, and elite strength. He can handle big D-Lineman like few at his position can in college. He is big, strong, and athletic. If we can correct his initial step into a narrow base (happens too often to be rare) and his inability to actually hook onto a defender, we are looking at top 10 center in the league with his athletic make up, bury the opposition demeanor, high IQ, and strong technical understanding to improve on his footwork and gripping the opponent. Those two issues are pretty big however, and he will need some seasoning to really reach his Pro-Bowl potential. 
  4. With the 99th Pick in the NFL Draft, the New York Giants select - Donovan People-Jones - WR - Michigan Wolverines
    • Sneaking into the top 100, "DPJ" has showcased every skill on tap you ask of a receiver. Does he runs crisp routes? Yes he does. Does he have a diverse route tree at this stage of his development? Yes, I have watched him effectively run the entire route tree. Does he catch outside of his frame? A resounding yes! Does he catch footballs with a defender attached to his hip? Most of those defenders just look like belt accessories when they jump with DPJ. Can he burn you down field? Yeah his tape has him running past DB's on the regular. 
Edited by YogiBiz

2 hours ago, ny92mike said:

So what are you seeing with becton that stands out to you.  Just not impressed at all with his play, but maybe I'm missing something.

His feet are so clean, he always, always has a strong solid base. Also he just knows how to consistently and efficiently hit his landmarks. You don’t even have to wait that long for him to execute a pass set. At :45 he goes into his first. Notice how effortlessly moves in to his next landmark and completely wall off the rusher on his QB’s blindside. In this same few seconds. Becton punches opponent in his number sending a noticeable jolt through the guy that stops the defender clean in his track. He also shows great IQ reading delayed blitzes, and thanks to his length hand strength and over athleticism he easily able to work off a double team to keep the blitzer off the QB. Also notice how little he plays with a high led level. He knows how to bend properly and is very fluid.  His punch is a little wild at time, and again his 6’7” height has him playing higher than you’d like. But those issues can be ironed out with coaching. He does all this in a Spread Offense no less.

He’s a day 1 starter. 

49 minutes ago, YogiBiz said:

His feet are so clean, he always, always has a strong solid base. Also he just knows how to consistently and efficiently hit his landmarks. You don’t even have to wait that long for him to execute a pass set. At :45 he goes into his first. Notice how effortlessly moves in to his next landmark and completely wall off the rusher on his QB’s blindside. In this same few seconds. Becton punches opponent in his number sending a noticeable jolt through the guy that stops the defender clean in his track. He also shows great IQ reading delayed blitzes, and thanks to his length hand strength and over athleticism he easily able to work off a double team to keep the blitzer off the QB. Also notice how little he plays with a high led level. He knows how to bend properly and is very fluid.  His punch is a little wild at time, and again his 6’7” height has him playing higher than you’d like. But those issues can be ironed out with coaching. He does all this in a Spread Offense no less.

He’s a day 1 starter. 

Appreciate your analysis...I'll review his tape again.  From what little I saw was he relied too much on his punch or shove not really sure the exact terminology but a solid swim move would counter it.  Part of it for me is his size, it takes a lot for someone that size to change direction, just not a fan of the larger, what I call oversized tackles unless they are on the right side.  Not doubting that he isn't a starter but I just see him as more of an right side type.