Valhalla Mock Draft: 49ers on the Clock (#31)

swede700

With the 31st pick, the San Francisco 49ers select...  

5 members have voted

1. 1. With the 31st pick, the San Francisco 49ers select...

• CB Noah Igbinoghene (Auburn)
    • LB Malik Harrison (Ohio St)
    • DT Neville Gallimore (Oklahoma)
    • OT Lucas Niang (TCU)
    • OG Jonah Jackson (Ohio St)
    • CB Trevon Diggs (Alabama)
    • CB Damon Arnette (Ohio St)
    • DT Justin Madubuike (Texas A&M)
    • C/OG Cesar Ruiz (Michigan)
    • S Grant Delpit (LSU)
    • Other (Specify preference in thread)

This is the place to begin shoring up the offensive line.  25 is bad value for a WR...save that need for round 3 or 4. The pick has got to be either Jackson of Ruiz.  Neither one of them are going to be available at #58.  This is the place fellas...go big (as in offensive lineman) or go home!!!

9 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

This is the place to begin shoring up the offensive line.  25 is bad value for a WR...save that need for round 3 or 4. The pick has got to be either Jackson of Ruiz.  Neither one of them are going to be available at #58.  This is the place fellas...go big (as in offensive lineman) or go home!!!

FWIW, based on the Draft Network prospect rankings, the only one worthy of being selected at this spot is Ruiz.  I had to take a searchlight to even find the other offensive linemen on their list that I put in the poll...and I only put in Cleveland's name because he's mentioned a lot...he was their #102 ranked player, which would put him in the 3rd round at best.

50 minutes ago, swede700 said:

FWIW, based on the Draft Network prospect rankings, the only one worthy of being selected at this spot is Ruiz.  I had to take a searchlight to even find the other offensive linemen on their list that I put in the poll...and I only put in Cleveland's name because he's mentioned a lot...he was their #102 ranked player, which would put him in the 3rd round at best.

My guess is, because there are only a couple of really good offensive lines in the NFL, and that there are very few offensive linemen coming out of college that are anywhere near NFL ready, that offensive lineman will go early and often.  The Vikings might have to reach for a 2nd round talent in the 1st round, because I'm thinking there will be no one available by pick 58 that could even remotely be considered a 2020 starter. In other words, little value in offensive linemen outside the first two rounds...which means that some projected to go in the 2nd round will be taken in the latter half of the 1st round and likely in round 2 before 58.

Edited by Guest

Vikings haven't spent a first round pick on a defensive end since trading for Jared Allen; this team has a great resume of drafting and developing edge players from round three to round seven under the current regime.

I honestly think I'd be more upset with a DE than a WR in the first round.

YGM makes little sense for this team OTHER than being light on the DE depth chart.

Edited by RpMc
  • Like 3

So even the collective fan voice doesn't want to address OL, until everyone who is good is gone, be left with pure project OL later in draft, and than complain that the OL is holding back this offense in not being able to give Davin holes and not giving Cousins time to pass.

It is a tough call, I would be happy with Epenesa or YGM really.  Would not mind Mims either or Austin Jackson.  Could go a variety of ways.  Getting this type of talent to go opposite Hunter is never a bad idea, and the DE talent is much worse later in the draft than the WR talent.  

a04fac60-7416-11ea-adbf-968113fe02ce

OJxic5IiQ1xlt0wlNPBM9HSct_S7H9mVnClMmJgP

Still in terms of preseason value, AJ and YGM were both top 20 guys, sure dropped a little for this reason or that but they are both absolutely big time prospects.  Vikings could get great value for them just because so many teams play a 3/4 D and these type of ends are not as wanted.  Sure both could maybe play in a 3/4 but are best in a 4/3.  The nod athletically goes to YGM but AJ I think is a hell of a lot quicker and athletic than people give him credit for.  

1 minute ago, dc_vikingfan said:

It was close between Austin Jackson and YGM. I went with Jackson because he can play OG then move to LT in 21. Also, believe Griffen will return. He's already backtracking a little from he's done with the Viking's stance. 

True if Griffen comes back at a lower contract number that would be great.  Not sure Austin Jackson can play OG though, I would have more faith in Josh Jones playing OG than Jackson.  But Jackson is athletic enough to be a solid LT potentially down the road.  

Honestly I doubt Griffen comes back but sure that would be cool.  Honestly as long as they do not get Trevon Diggs, a variety of picks I would be fine with, I would absolutely not be fine with Stefon's brother in fear he will do similar things all over again.  

It's hard to fathom that defensive end is the choice members are making.  I would also rather resign Griffen than to use a draft choice on a player that is not a need.

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

So even the collective fan voice doesn't want to address OL, until everyone who is good is gone, be left with pure project OL later in draft, and than complain that the OL is holding back this offense in not being able to give Davin holes and not giving Cousins time to pass.

Perhaps seeing Washington have a good OL over the years confirms to many that it doesn’t make a huge difference for Kirk and it will be Kirk that holds the team back, not the OL, if the team is held back by anything. I’m more concerned about the potential for a very lackluster pass rush and little talent at CB to compensate over the OL at this stage.

I think I originally went with Reagor, but I think I overlooked Jackson. 

I don't love the Value of YGM here at all. I think there are some very nice options that look like they'll be available in the third or fourth that can help with the rotation