Valhalla Mock Draft: 49ers on the Clock (#31)

swede700

With the 31st pick, the San Francisco 49ers select...  

5 members have voted

1. 1. With the 31st pick, the San Francisco 49ers select...

• CB Noah Igbinoghene (Auburn)
    • LB Malik Harrison (Ohio St)
    • DT Neville Gallimore (Oklahoma)
    • OT Lucas Niang (TCU)
    • OG Jonah Jackson (Ohio St)
    • CB Trevon Diggs (Alabama)
    • CB Damon Arnette (Ohio St)
    • DT Justin Madubuike (Texas A&M)
    • C/OG Cesar Ruiz (Michigan)
    • S Grant Delpit (LSU)
    • Other (Specify preference in thread)

15 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

You mean Jerrah’s guy? 

The Cowboys will always be built around what Jerrah wants. 

Exactly...there's no chance that they take a QB here...and they haven't taken a QB in the first round since Jimmy Johnson took Aikman over 30 years ago.  

Bumping to get some more votes in.  

41 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I don't see how the Dolphins do not not a OT here, either Josh Jones or potentially Austin Jackson even.  Those OTs they have are rough.  

Because they’ve got another 1st round pick in a deep OT class. 

The Dolphins need a pass rusher, it’s a weak draft class for ends. Chiasson is a far greater value at this spot than any of the remaining tackles. There isn’t a DE left who’s on the same level as Chiasson, whereas Jones, Jackson, Wilson, Cleveland, and Niang all probably grade out similarly. 

7 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The Dolphins need a pass rusher, it’s a weak draft class for ends. Chiasson is a far greater value at this spot than any of the remaining tackles. There isn’t a DE left who’s on the same level as Chiasson, whereas Jones, Jackson, Wilson, Cleveland, and Niang all probably grade out similarly. 

Even though I haven't voted, I agree with you.  I personally think Chiasson would be the slam dunk pick here.  They have another pick here in the 1st or they can use their 2nd rd pick to get an OT, as Jones isn't that much better than what they could get at either one of those spots.

10 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Maybe and yes all those OL are rated similar to each other, and they could wait and spend a later 1st rounder on one.  But they do play a 3/4 and they just signed Van Noy and Shaq Lawson to play OLB along with Ogbah and have Taco Charlton also, have Baker, McMillan, Biegel and Muson along with Grugier-Hill to play more ILB.  Not to mention signing another Patriot in Elandon Roberts.  Also have Equavoen, Charles Harris and Van Ginkel at OLB as well.  If they sign another LB in that stacked LB group that would be a shock to me.  

The DE position is a need but Chaisson is not a 3/4 DE he is a 3/4 OLB.  Now they have Wilkins at one 3/4 DE spot, Godchaux in the middle and Avery Moss.  So a 3/4 DL makes sense there and I bet they target James Lynch 2nd round possibly.  Will be interesting what they do but that OL is awful especially at the OT spots.  They have a ton of options, and safety could also be a need for them.  

Edited by Ozzy

They need a 3-4 OLB.  They don't need a 3/4 DE, as Lawson will be moving into one of the DE spots, so with he, Wilkins and Godchaux, they're set.  They need another OLB on the opposite side of Van Noy as the other 2 they signed will be ILBs.  

The Dolphins are also not likely to be a strict 3-4, they’ll run a hybrid defense just like Flores ran in NE. And Van Noy isn’t a true edge rusher. He’s a hybrid player who moves all over the field, and that’s likely how Flores will use him in Miami. 

59 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The Dolphins are also not likely to be a strict 3-4, they’ll run a hybrid defense just like Flores ran in NE. And Van Noy isn’t a true edge rusher. He’s a hybrid player who moves all over the field, and that’s likely how Flores will use him in Miami. 

I agree they will not be a strict 3/4 defense but then what did they get Ogbah for if they draft Chaisson?  I could see them getting AJ Epenesa if he falls to them somehow, or even tempted to get YGM.  AJ probably could play a 3/4 DE spot better than say Lawson could.  And since when did the Patriots actually spend high draft picks and or much money edge rushers when they have needed one for quite some time, sure maybe Flores would be different.  With Flores they got along with Trey Flowers, Sheard, Chris Long and Ninkovich for awhile.  Then Wise and Van Noy picked it up.  Van Noy is a fine 3/4 OLB type, was a great one coming out of college and he can get to the QB.  15.5 sacks for him in three years is not bad at all for a OLB.  

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

They need a 3-4 OLB.  They don't need a 3/4 DE, as Lawson will be moving into one of the DE spots, so with he, Wilkins and Godchaux, they're set.  They need another OLB on the opposite side of Van Noy as the other 2 they signed will be ILBs.  

I do not view Lawson as a 3/4 DE, he does not have the size or the strength to do that.  He is a 4/3 DE to me and even is a stretch to call him a 3/4 OLB even.  Maybe he can play on the line and hold up but I doubt it.  But does depend on what exactly they want to do, more DT talent and bigger DL is a need absolutely if they want a more true 3/4.  Unless they have great faith in Ledbetter and Willis developing.  And like I said above, what did they get Ogbah for if they draft Chaisson, they paid him a decent amount.