OT Andrew Thomas selected by Giants 1.4

Acgott

I love it was my #2 Ranked guy at the position but that was based more in #1 having more upside. I have always thought Thomas was the most pro ready of the Tackles in the draft. I’ve watched him a few times in person and I can say I am enamored with how clean a Hand technician he is. Has been consistently one of the best LT in college football. 

Edited by YogiBiz
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Kip Smithers said:

My negativity is depressing you and you want me to cut my wrists? Kinda ironic, don’t you think?

dude...I'm trying to enjoy our draft selection like many of the rest of us.  I wasn't sold on Simmons being the pick nor was the Giants front office.  We needed to protect our quarterback that was sacked 38 times and fumbled 18 times.  Not sure about you but I'm sick of watching our running back get tackled behind the line or our quarterback running for his life because of poor line play.  The pick makes sense from every angle.

Heck I'm even hoping they target a center with this next pick.  Drafting a inside linebacker/safety wasn't going to magically put our defense on the map.  Maybe converting some 3rd downs might give them a break so they aren't gassed in the 4th.  Our biggest need wasn't even inside linebacker or safety, if we drafted any defensive position it better be an edge rusher.

The team made the right selection.

First 13 picks with four tackles off the board and imo we got the best one.

ROUND PICK DRAFTED BY Overall Pick Pos. Change 4-digit ID Player Name (youtube hyperlink) Pos
1st 1 CIN 1   D-0242 Joe Burrow QB
1st 2 WAS 2   D-0087 Chase Young EDGE
1st 3 DET 3   D-0233 Jeffrey Okudah CB
1st 4 NYG 4   D-0018 Andrew Thomas OT
1st 5 MIA 5   D-0481 Tua Tagovailoa QB
1st 6 LAC 6   D-0280 Justin Herbert QB
1st 7 CAR 7   D-0143 Derrick Brown DL1T
1st 8 ARI 8   D-0181 Isaiah Simmons OLB
1st 9 JAC 9   D-0064 C.J. Henderson CB
1st 10 CLE 10   D-0229 Jedrick Wills OT
1st 11 NYJ 11   D-0362 Mekhi Becton OT
1st 12 LVR 12   D-0178 Henry Ruggs III WR
1st 13 SF 13   D-0477 Tristan Wirfs OT

16 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

My negativity is depressing you and you want me to cut my wrists? Kinda ironic, don’t you think?

If we'er picking in top 5 next year maybe we can get our impact player on defense then.  I'm interested in everyone's opinion.  Do you think that we picked Thomas because he was the safest pick and our lack of developing offensive linemen?

1 minute ago, Gmen19851 said:

If we'er picking in top 5 next year maybe we can get our impact player on defense then.  I'm interested in everyone's opinion.  Do you think that we picked Thomas because he was the safest pick and our lack of developing offensive linemen?

New coaching staff on the offense so can't say these people can't develop an offensive linemen, but I do believe our GM went with the safest pick. While not the most inspiring move, given what happens with Flowers it is probably the right move. Is I was wanting Wills or Wirfs but I am sure I will like Thomas when I see him play.

I love the pick. Me personally i had Wirfs in my mock but Thomas im VERY happy with. I wanna say something about defence now. Why is everyone writing it off?? Lets give patrick graham a chance to coach up this young group. Bettcher is gone and we have yet to see what graham can do for these guys. He will put them in positions that maximize their strengthes. I wanna wait before i write us off

2 hours ago, Gmen19851 said:

I'm interested in everyone's opinion.  Do you think that we picked Thomas because he was the safest pick and our lack of developing offensive linemen?

I guess you could call it a "safe" pick.  Personally, while it wasn't a flashy/sexy pick, I think Thomas checked all the boxes.  Potential to be an elite LT, day one starter, great run blocking ability, very solid pass blocker, team need, pick value was there.  I think it was one of those team need equalled player value and it just made sense from every angle.  Having him on the roster, not only improves our passing game but the running game as well.  I'm sure Barkley and Jones are more than happy about the selection....haha.