OT Andrew Thomas selected by Giants 1.4

Acgott

The pick was rock solid.  Even the biggest Gettlemen critics can't pick a bone with that selection. The top ten of the draft was pretty boring.  I think people were hoping Gettlemen would pick someone out of the ordinary so they can herd up like a bunch of hyenas and have a laugh.  So they laughed at him putting on a mask instead.

Edit : I take that back, it appears Kip Smithers didn't like the pick.  But I guess he's a Chiefs fan now so it doesn't matter.

Edited by Gmen
  • Like 5

53 minutes ago, Gmen said:

The pick was rock solid.  Even the biggest Gettlemen critics can't pick a bone with that selection. The top ten of the draft was pretty boring.  I think people were hoping Gettlemen would pick someone out of the ordinary so they can herd up like a bunch of hyenas and have a laugh.  So they laughed at him putting on a mask instead.

Edit : I take that back, it appears Kip Smithers didn't like the pick.  But I guess he's a Chiefs fan now so it doesn't matter.

Dude on Giants Wire, the comments are so bad u wonder if any of these ppl are Giants fans or just straight up whiners. Thomas was a must have and im very happy we got him but everybody and their mother on that site is still crying over Simmons. I swear nobody at all will even give Patrick Graham a chance to even work with the group. Id like to see what he can teach Xman and Carter and also how he will use Connelly and Martinez. Getting tired of ppl acting like fans instead of actually being one. 

• Like 1

Yeah my fault for me desperately wanting us to get a game changing defensive player over an offensive lineman.

Nothing to do with Thomas. From what I’ve gathered he was highly rated amongst execs and people on this forum. So the fact that we went down the route of offensive line and picked arguably best available is good. 

My gripe is that we had one of the worst defenses last year. Couldn’t stop a nosebleed. We had somebody who we could build a defense around and we bypassed it to try this offensive line experiment again. I’ll get over it eventually but I stand by opinion that I very much dislike the move.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Yeah my fault for me desperately wanting us to get a game changing defensive player over an offensive lineman.

Nothing to do with Thomas. From what I’ve gathered he was highly rated amongst execs and people on this forum. So the fact that we went down the route of offensive line and picked arguably best available is good. 

My gripe is that we had one of the worst defenses last year. Couldn’t stop a nosebleed. We had somebody who we could build a defense around and we bypassed it to try this offensive line experiment again. I’ll get over it eventually but I stand by opinion that I very much dislike the move.

I don't think you dislike this move. You liked another move better, which is fine. I think Simmons would have been a good pick as well, but this was the more prudent selection.

And @Gmen is right, nobody can crap on Gettleman for this pick, and no one has. Even PFF's Mike Renner said he "loved" this pick. Thomas was PFF's #1 tackle and was listed as one of the safest picks in the draft, in that his bust potential is very low. Normally Gettleman haters, those guys love this pick it seems. He did good yesterday. And today and tomorrow is where Gettleman shines; he is one of the better drafters in the later rounds of all GMs.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

A stud LT is also a gamechanger...

In this modern NFL the key to winning is protecting your passer and getting after the other teams. Yes Simmons would have helped some in that department. But with Solder at LT you have a turnstile that was completely blowing up the offensive scheme. If SB is being attacked in the backfield it completely takes away his strength. If DJ is running for his life 2 secs after the snap he's going to make a ton of mistakes. LT was simply and completely more the need. I would have preferred they traded down and still nabbed one of the 3 stud tackles but it just wasn't in the cards. So they had to make the pick. In a round about way Thomas WILL help the defense.

Last years draft class 7 out of the 10 picks were defense... and they still sucked. They gave Bettcher plenty of pieces to work with and he simply was getting outschemed or outcoached. Or his scheme was so overtly complicated that players continuously kept blowing their assignments. Either way.. Graham has 7 young players from last year to mold, grab him some extra edge rushers in this draft. And see what he can do. Perhaps the talent is there and the scheme change will do wonders. In the meantime you HAVE TO PROTECT your assets on offense. You have so much equity wrapped up in your QB and RB if they have no space to operate you've wasted them...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shockey1979 said:

Last years draft class 7 out of the 10 picks were defense... and they still sucked. They gave Bettcher plenty of pieces to work with and he simply was getting outschemed or outcoached. Or his scheme was so overtly complicated that players continuously kept blowing their assignments. Either way.. Graham has 7 young players from last year to mold, grab him some extra edge rushers in this draft. And see what he can do. Perhaps the talent is there and the scheme change will do wonders. In the meantime you HAVE TO PROTECT your assets on offense. You have so much equity wrapped up in your QB and RB if they have no space to operate you've wasted them...

No excuses for the offense this year. They need to carry us. When we lose, it better be 35-28 or something like that. We've used 3 straight top 10 picks on the offense. Now we've got our franchise LT, QB, and RB. Time for them to get to work and score some points.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shockey1979 said:

Plenty of pieces to work with? In what way did he have plenty of pieces to work with? We still had no LBers. Our pass rash was below average at best. Defense was lacking and has lacked speed for a long time now. What we had was a lot of youth. Bettcher has pedigree give some decent to good talent to work with, he can be put out a good unit. 

My thinking was that we can address the line on day 2 and focus on fixing the interior. You can find quality players on line throughout a draft. Grab Simmons and then get a C on day 2 that way DJ has a pocket to step up into and give Saquon a chance to run in between tackles. Now today, we have no choice but to go get a C to make this line solidified. 

2 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Plenty of pieces to work with? In what way did he have plenty of pieces to work with? We still had no LBers. Our pass rash was below average at best. Defense was lacking and has lacked speed for a long time now. What we had was a lot of youth. Bettcher has pedigree give some decent to good talent to work with, he can be put out a good unit.

It's quite clearly stated in my post but I'll repeat it for you.

- 7 out of 10 picks last year on defense
-Traded for Peppers
- Signed Golden and Bethea (2 guys familiar with Bettcher's scheme)
- Signed Buchannon (Also familiar with his scheme)
- Signed Hamilton
- Signed Pierre
- Traded for Leonard Williams

That's alot of moves directed towards the defense. You aren't in good conscience trying to make the argument that Bettcher didn't have his say on these additions... are you? Because I highly doubt DG just went out and signed a bunch of ex Cardinals on a whim. Bettcher chose his ingredients, he cooked the dinner, and it was awful. Either way you spin it the miscommunications, blown assignments, and lack of discipline is reflective on the coach.

Let's see what Graham can do with these assets.

Edited by Shockey1979
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

My thinking was that we can address the line on day 2 and focus on fixing the interior. You can find quality players on line throughout a draft. Grab Simmons and then get a C on day 2 that way DJ has a pocket to step up into and give Saquon a chance to run in between tackles. Now today, we have no choice but to go get a C to make this line solidified. 

So if we take Simmons, then we have no choice but to take another linebacker? What a confusing argument you're making.

There's opportunity cost to every pick. You'll never have a functional offensive line if you kick the can down the road because one selection won't singlehandedly fix everything.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Shockey1979 said:

It's quite clearly stated in my post but I'll repeat it for you.

- 7 out of 10 picks last year on defense
-Traded for Peppers
- Signed Golden and Bethea (2 guys familiar with Bettcher's scheme)
- Signed Buchannon (Also familiar with his scheme)
- Signed Hamilton
- Signed Pierre
- Traded for Leonard Williams

That's alot of moves directed towards the defense. You aren't in good conscience trying to make the argument that Bettcher didn't have his say on these additions... are you? Because I highly doubt DG just went out and signed a bunch of ex Cardinals on a whim. Bettcher chose his ingredients, he cooked the dinner, and it was awful. Either way you spin it the miscommunications, blown assignments, and lack of discipline is reflective on the coach.

Let's see what Graham can do with these assets.

How can you list all those players and see all that turnover and expect us to be any good on defense? 

Not only is there a severe lack of talent but there is a lot of turnover, so how can we expect to put out an effective unit? Be real here.