OT Andrew Thomas selected by Giants 1.4

Acgott

2 minutes ago, Giants4eva said:

I love the pick. Me personally i had Wirfs in my mock but Thomas im VERY happy with. I wanna say something about defence now. Why is everyone writing it off?? Lets give patrick graham a chance to coach up this young group. Bettcher is gone and we have yet to see what graham can do for these guys. He will put them in positions that maximize their strengthes. I wanna wait before i write us off

Right...We've got a ton of young talent on that side of the ball... New coaching staff, a year to progress.  Would have liked to see a few more pieces added in the way of veterans but there is still a lot of talent available in free agency.  Who knows maybe we end up with an edge rusher before it's said and done as I really believe that is really all we're missing.  Sure we could be better at some spots but we've got a very solid defensive line, and if those last year rookies can improve this year our secondary doesn't look horrible.  Inside linebacker is improved.  If we found a way to land Clowney or someone of the caliber it would put less pressure on our secondary.  

Anyway, I'm with you on that.  

Its not a sexy pick but we needed an offensive lineman. All 4 guys were close. I liked Wirfs the best, but he might be a career RT. Thomas is a prototypical LT. Good investment to protect DJ and block for Saquon. 

8 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

So here's the question now: do we force Solder over to the right side so Thomas can start immediately at his natural and future position, or does Thomas start on the right side and slide over the left next year?

It's a good question and a tough one to answer.

Thomas started out his first year at Georgia at RT, so he could probably make for an easier transition back to that side for this first year, but I agree he's best suited at left.  If the team doesn't target a RT in one of these later rounds that has "starter" tattooed on his back.  I think Nate has to make the move across the tracks but I could see this playing out both ways...I think training camp makes this decision easier, but my money is on Nate packing his bags and moving to right.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

So here's the question now: do we force Solder over to the right side so Thomas can start immediately at his natural and future position, or does Thomas start on the right side and slide over the left next year?

Solder said he would be willing to go to the right side. Might as well put him at right and have Thomas be our LT.

5 hours ago, ny92mike said:

dude...I'm trying to enjoy our draft selection like many of the rest of us.  I wasn't sold on Simmons being the pick nor was the Giants front office.  We needed to protect our quarterback that was sacked 38 times and fumbled 18 times.  Not sure about you but I'm sick of watching our running back get tackled behind the line or our quarterback running for his life because of poor line play.  The pick makes sense from every angle.

Heck I'm even hoping they target a center with this next pick.  Drafting a inside linebacker/safety wasn't going to magically put our defense on the map.  Maybe converting some 3rd downs might give them a break so they aren't gassed in the 4th.  Our biggest need wasn't even inside linebacker or safety, if we drafted any defensive position it better be an edge rusher.

That’s all well and good. I’m not stopping you from enjoying this pick. I expressed my discontent and you chose to be bothered by it. 

I'm ecstatic about the pick. It's exactly what SB and DJ need to get that offense rolling. Which will in turn help the defense. Nothing saps a defense more then turnovers, short fields, and 3 and outs. A defense playing with a lead has the advantage. Move Solder to RT immediately and let this kid play LT from day 1. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Cuziam71 said:

Wish we could have traded for more picks but we do need line help.  Lets get a center now. Thats the biggest need.  

Lloyd Cushenberry from LSU is deff a guy who could be our pick at 36. My only thing is .. entering rd2.. there is still some stud players left for the defence. I dont know if were gonna go back to back olinemen considering we werent able to allocate another 2nd rd pick. Theres some marquee names still on the board. Gross-Matos, McKinney, Delpit, Baun... all of them are tremendous defensive prospects. Cushenberry though man.. we get him we are set at oline. The thing thats even more great about him is is he can play guard as well. 

• Like 1

Let me retract my previous statement.. I think if Cushenberry is available were taking him. Just read the interview with Gettleman after taking Thomas and his exact words were "we wanna fix the oline once and for all"... I think if Lloyd is there at 36 were gonna grab him. He sounds like hes not playing around 

9 hours ago, ny92mike said:

It's a good question and a tough one to answer.

Thomas started out his first year at Georgia at RT, so he could probably make for an easier transition back to that side for this first year, but I agree he's best suited at left.  If the team doesn't target a RT in one of these later rounds that has "starter" tattooed on his back.  I think Nate has to make the move across the tracks but I could see this playing out both ways...I think training camp makes this decision easier, but my money is on Nate packing his bags and moving to right.  

I agree. Let the kid get to his spot and stay there. Solder will definitely have to adjust, but he was voted captain for a reason. He'll put the work in.