Twins Talk - Where Snow Outs Happen

The Gnat

Nice to get a Twins win in Puerto Rico, and love the fact that it was Rosario to score the winning run. Thankfully we have a day (possibly two) off to get back to Tampa Bay and get going in that series. I'll be happy with more consistent baseball. Also, Berrios is so good.

Hopefully Buxton's migraine issues aren't too long an issue. Even though his bat hasn't been great thus far, his defense is always amazing and just having him playing consistently makes me think his bat would get going sooner rather than later.

5 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Nice to get a Twins win in Puerto Rico, and love the fact that it was Rosario to score the winning run. Thankfully we have a day (possibly two) off to get back to Tampa Bay and get going in that series. I'll be happy with more consistent baseball. Also, Berrios is so good.

Hopefully Buxton's migraine issues aren't too long an issue. Even though his bat hasn't been great thus far, his defense is always amazing and just having him playing consistently makes me think his bat would get going sooner rather than later.

He's such a threat on the bases also. That one inning he stole 2nd, tagged up on fly back that wasn't very deep to center and scored with a hit almost directly to the short stop with him playing in

• 2 weeks later...

Fernando Romero has replaced Phil Hughes in the rotation. I like the move, and probably should just eat Hughes money at this point because he's got nothing left in the tank. Romero, however, is hitting around 97 on the radar gun pretty consistently, and it still getting that once in a while as he nears 100 pitches against the Blue Jays.

Realize it's against the White Sox, but the Twins with a much needed series win on the road. Getting 3 out of 4 was huge and seeing the offense pick it up was nice. We need to get Buxton back, that would help the defense out a lot and gives another better bat in the line-up, I'd prefer him batting over Grossman/LaMarre. But a good start from Lynn, a good start from Gibson, and the pen didn't blow games. If the pen pitches like it should the Twins will start winning a whole lot more, that as a terrible stretch for the pne.

Romero with another nice start, 6 innings and 9 K's. I know he's likely to go down when Santana is back, but I don't want him to leave the rotation, make the future now for him. His stuff is really nice and he's throwing nice and hard. He can still hit mid/upper 90's late in his starts, and that's impressive.

Also, Rosario and Escobar have been on fire. If Rosario can keep his season average and power numbers through the rest of the year, that would be great. I don't really see a reason why he can't remain near that average. Rosario with a .275 average, 20 HR's, and 15 SB's would be a great year to have him for every year.

Good road trip for the Twins. They really needed that. Even with splitting against the Angels they were able to win 7 of 10 games and were in basically every game. The pitching has been so much better, and Romero is really good, just needs to get outs on fewer pitches and he'll be going deep into games. 

Considering how bad the Twins were for a few weeks, having them only be two games below .500 at this point in time and .5 games behind the Indians is great. I think that the Twins have a chance to win the central with basically the same record as last year (maybe a bit worse). I don't know who all Cleveland might have injured right now. I also don't know how important it is for the Twins to get Sano back. Sano has such a good swing when he's not trying to hit HR's that it's really frustrating to see him try and kill the ball every time when he'll hit monster bombs even when he's swinging for a line drive. Someone needs to remind him of that and see if we can get his plate discipline back a little bit and cut down on the  K's and get the average back up a touch.

Castro is done for the year: https://www.mlb.com/twins/news/knee-injury-costs-jason-castro-rest-of-season/c-276965450

Time for Garver to step up and show if he can be the catcher for the future. I think he has a shot at that as he can be a solid hitting catcher with average defense or slightly below average, but if he get 15 HR power and .260-.270 average, t hat isn't bad.

Mauer is out on the DL with concussion like symptoms. That might not actually be bad for the Twins. While Mauer is a good hitter and very good at 1st base, this is his last season. I don't mind seeing someone young get some more playing time and see what happens. Granted, it'll be Morrison at first base, but that might also be good to get his bat going.

Twins DFA Phil Hughes. Thanks for the one very nice year Hughes, it was a shame that you got injured consistently there after.

Needed move for the Twins to free up the 40 man roster spot, and further proof that the cheap argument doesn't work for this Twins ownership as previously they would have just kept a player on the roster and played them sparingly in hopes that they would do something good and they wouldn't have to eat all the money.

Also, nice win by the Twins. Berrios with a little shakiness to start the game ,and then dominated, and Rosario with a great catch and an even better running play. Rosario might be the best base runner in baseball or at least the smartest on 3B.

• 2 weeks later...

Big series for the Twins. Not only getting some good starts, but getting the bats alive against a solid starting staff. The Twins can likely catch the Indians still and if the Twins can hit, that's the biggest thing holding them back.

Hopefully Mauer can get healthy soon, I'd like him back at 1B at this point. Concussion like symptoms are always troubling though and who knows how long they will keep him sidelined for.

I feel like I say this all the time, and I'm fine with it, Eddie Rosario is really good. Yesterday's game was amazing for him.

• 2 weeks later...

Big News from Yesterday: Sano Getting Sent Down to A Ball

Now, that's quite a demotion, but I think there's a reason it's A Ball and not Triple A. First, it allows them to keep an eye on him better, because they have the dorms down there, they have more facilities down there. I also think this is so he can build his confidence very very quickly. He's going to start mashing down there. Finally, I think because he has gotten far enough away from what made him an All Star, they are sending him down there as Triple A is about fine tuning or getting consistent playing time, whereas in A, they can break down his swing and build it back up, as that's something they do often with new players.

It'll be interesting to see what happens long term with Sano. If he were to decide to hit for any sort of average, aka, not try to hit HR's every at bat, he'd quickly become one of the best hitters in baseball. Mainly because he has enough strength, that something a normal batter would hit as a double to the gap, Sano would just naturally hit out, and his singles would turn into doubles to the gap.

I also wonder if we're going to start seeing some trades soon for the Twins.
Fransisco Rodney
Brian Dozier
Lance Lynn
Robbie Grossman

Those are the more veteran players with the best value. I would say that I'm bummed we won't get more for Dozier unless he gets hot and we had a chance to trade him to LA Dodgers at one point in time, but turns out the value gotten back in that trade wasn't good anyways.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Add in Dozier to that traded list. Overall, I think a series of needed deadline moves for the Twins.There was no point in keeping those players around, though, Escobar is tough to have leave and Dozier as they both had good personality on the team. Now to see if any of the prospects pan out, but even if they don't, it was still the smart thing to do.