Twins Talk - Where Snow Outs Happen

The Gnat

Twins with two opposite type of wins over the San Diego Padres. First win, 7 innings, 7 HR's and 16 runs overall with a good pitching performance.

Then last night, scratch out a run and game goes to extra innings after great pitching as well. But a run on a double, wild pitch, and throwing error and then it goes to extra innings and a HR by Rosario that just stayed fair.

I like the fact that the Twins are able to win in different ways.

• 2 weeks later...

Twins become the first team ever to lose 100 games one year and get into the playoffs the next year. And the second team to have the #1 overall pick in the MLB draft and then make the playoffs.

The Twins line-up was bad today, but I hope that in the final series while each starter might miss a game as a day off that the Twins will play most of their starters. One for the fans, but two so that they stay playing.

Miguel Sano is back off the disabled list with three games left in the season. I hope he plays tonight and in the finale of the season, give him a day off between. He should only DH as well. Maybe if we make it to the World Series, then he can play some 3B in the NL ballpark.

Since Sano is back, I'd expect him to be on the roster for the wild card game against the Yankees. It depends on how well Sano hits against the Tigers, but if he's struggling at all, I'd keep Grossman at DH for the game in New York. Then once we beat the Yankees and have to face off against the Indians, I believe, we can work him in once in a while, really depends on if he hits well against the Tigers. I also wonder a little bit even then if he and Grossman (maybe Vargas) won't split time at DH anyways so that Sano gets some time off, but then again, don't know how he's doing right now, if he can play multiple in a row then I'm all for that.

Twins play the Yankees in New York on Tuesday. 7:10 for the first pitch.

Things to watch for:

Will Miguel Sano DH? I'm thinking no, we'll see Grossman DH and Sano come off the bench when need be.

How well with Santana do? We probably need him to go 7 innings and give up at most a run to have that great a chance.

Can the Twins hold Judge/Sanchez from hitting a HR? The Yankees have a lot of power, not just those guys, but the Twins need to keep HR's from happening, and if they do, no men on base.

Can the Twins take advantage of the fact they are more athletic? The Yankees don't have bad defense but the Twins have a ton of speed, and they put pressure on the Yankees with that? I wouldn't mind seeing a Twin or two try and bunt for a hit, getting Buxton on base with a bunt single would be huge and put a ton of pressure on the pitcher and Sanchez.

Twins had a chance last night but couldn't quite pull it out. Got off to a great start and it was annoying seeing the third strike on Didi Gregorious not get called, but didn't seem like the home plate ump was calling many low pitches.

So onto the next season:

1. I think that Miguel Sano is going to be in the best shape of his playing career next year. He wants to be one of the best off all time and missing the playoffs because of injury that is partly tied into his weight means that he is going to come back in better shape, and that should scare the AL because he's already athletic at the weight that he's at.

2. What will Buxton's numbers look like for a full season now that his swing is better? And with that, how good can the Twins offense be? Right now the main holes in the offense are at catcher and at DH (oddly enough), and since Sano wants to play third, we'll still have those holes in the line-up. But if the young guys, Polanco, Rosario, and Buxton hit like they did, that ould be a very very potent line-up for a year, and if Kepler can progress some more, that makes the line-up even scarier.

3. Who is the fifth starter in the Twins rotation? I'd have liked to see someone like Gonslaves get a start this year or a taste of pitching in the bigs as he's who I'd prefer to have as that last starter. But do the Twins bring someone in, in the offseason to fill in that last starting spot? I'm not sure who that player would be. Maybe they try Enns in the rotation again? Lots of questions about whom the last starter will be in the rotation for the Twins.

4. Finally, do the Twins move any major league pieces? Last year it was a question, will the Twins move on from Dozier? This year, I think you can answer the same question, but I consider it much more unlikely that the Twins do. With making the play-offs, albeit for a single game, having those Veterans like Dozier, Mauer, and Ervin Santana help the team.

Oh, and 5. Can the young pen improve? Or maybe more so, are there enough arms in the pen that pitchers like Duffey won't be run into the ground like they were this year.

6. Trevor May, where does he come back at, and how quickly can he come back. He's a good set-up man, but can he start, because that would be interesting.

I think the Twins have an interesting offseason coming up. Like you Gnat, we have a few questions going forward.

1.) Agree. I reckon Sano sticks at 3rd and comes into ST in great shape.

2.) James Rowson needs to stay for a long time. Brilliant work with some of our young guys have the offense play like they did.

3.) I actually think the Twins look for a TOR starter instead of a 5th starter. We need someone more stable to anchor the rotation. Alex Cobb from Tampa wouldn't be a bad option if the money is good.

4.) I am with you. I'm not sure about keeping Dozier long term, but I doubt he gets moved this offseason. If anything, I can see Gordon moved for a young cost controllable pitcher. With our new found depth at SS in the minors (Lewis, Palacios, Javier etc.), I wouldn't be surprised if we packaged Gordon + Gonsalves to see what shakes loose.

5.) Pen should improve, but I think we need one more veteran presence there. I'm not sure whom, but someone who can close and be a shut down presence.

For me, this will be a huge test for Falvine, a few questions of my own:

1.) Molitor, does he stay or does he go? He has his deficiencies, and they are well documented, but his turnaround is fantastic.

2.) Neil Allen. Stay or go? Pitching coach for us for a few years and hasn't had a Rowson like impact.

3.) How many pieces to the starting rotation are you adding? 1? 2? And how?

4.) DH. Who do you target?

5.) We have a few FA's, who do you keep and not keep?

Really interesting offseason coming up for us.

1. I think Molitor stays. I think some of Molitor's deficiencies come down to the level of talent he's had to work with. I think that once he has more options (which I think he will next year) out of the pen with the young guys that came up this year he'll manage it "better" in that it won't be so much piecing it together and running pitchers into the ground.

2. I think that Neil Allen stays, but hard to know, not sure how much of a metrics guy Allen is, and with the new people at top, might spell the end for him.

3. I think one person is added to the rotation. Gibson pitched well enough to keep his spot and Mejia deserves to continue as a starter. I kind of hope it is via free agency that they bring someone in, but I could see them having Trevor May be starter #5. Cobb and Lynn would be two nice options if they went outside of the organization.

4. Great question, I wonder if they'll go with Kennys Vargas or Palka from in the organization. Not sure who is really out there who is a great option.

5. Dillon Gee is the one who I'd keep. Santiago, Belisle, Colon and Perkins can all leave.

With my #3, I meant, the last person to fill in a rotation spot. I hope it would be a high #3 or low #2 starter if the Twins sign one.

With regards to #1 and #2, Falvine have showed recently they want their own guys in. In the minor leagues, we've had a fairly big house cleaning. Long time scouts, minor league pitching coordinator and managers have all been fired. To be fair too, some of them have been very much deserved firing. So while Molly definitely deserves more time, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they went another direction.

3. Yeah I think I can agree to that. I just hope we get someone who can really push the rotation to being better. Cobb is my preferred, but I honestly do wonder if they dangle Gordon and see if they can shake a Stroman or a younger starter with control loose.

4. I'm the same, but I would like to add a serious bat to this position. Add in some extra power and protection for the line up.

I wouldn't mind us spending big money on a Shaw in terms of bullpen arms.

Molitor being locked up for three more years I think is a good thing. He did a solid job this year and now that they actually have a bullpen that has some pieces instead of a piece, hopefully he can improve in that area. I am not sure I want Neil Allen around anymore. I could see the Twins replacing Allen, but otherwise I don't think too much shake-up.

And Neil Allen is gone. I was right about that one happening and it happened fast afterwards. I wonder who they are going to be bringing in. What does it look like in terms of how much is Molitor involved with the decision and how much is it Falvey and Levine who are going to be making the decision? I feel like it's going to be much more the latter as Molitor might want more of a classic Twins style pitching coach, but I can see the Falvey and Levine going for more of a metric driven pitching coach.

On 10/10/2017 at 10:03 AM, The Gnat said:

And Neil Allen is gone. I was right about that one happening and it happened fast afterwards. I wonder who they are going to be bringing in. What does it look like in terms of how much is Molitor involved with the decision and how much is it Falvey and Levine who are going to be making the decision? I feel like it's going to be much more the latter as Molitor might want more of a classic Twins style pitching coach, but I can see the Falvey and Levine going for more of a metric driven pitching coach.

I think Allen being gone is the right choice. He's been here 3 years and the improvement in the pitching staff is minimal. Now granted he hasn't had a ton of talent to work with, however there was still too many issues. We also stuck with him after he was convicted of a DUI (IIRC) last season. Beat writers report we'll have a pitching coach within the next 3 weeks. I wonder who we've got earmarked. Considering Falvine have really emphasized the use of a curveball, you have to imagine it's someone who can teach that and have a Rowson like approach to pitchers. Frank Viola from the Mets is an interesting name, connection with the Twins too.

Twins also named a new minor league director. 27 year old Jeremy Zoll from the LA Dodgers. He was assistant director of player development, working under Gabe Kepler. I don't know much else about him, but grabbing someone from that front office who at that age got such a notable position is pretty impressive. We'll see how it works out.