Twins Talk - Where Snow Outs Happen

The Gnat

Who is the young player who could have a breakout year?

I would say that Max Kepler, Miguel Sano, Jorge Polanco, and possibly Mitch Garver have a chance as batters. Berrios who was good last year seems like he could take another step up. I think we're going to see Max Kepler breakout personally. He's going to figure out how to hit lefties better and he'll break 30 HR's and hit around .270.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/19/2018 at 12:44 PM, The Gnat said:

Who is the young player who could have a breakout year?

I would say that Max Kepler, Miguel Sano, Jorge Polanco, and possibly Mitch Garver have a chance as batters. Berrios who was good last year seems like he could take another step up. I think we're going to see Max Kepler breakout personally. He's going to figure out how to hit lefties better and he'll break 30 HR's and hit around .270.

I'll say Mejia.looks like they'll need some pitchers to step up

• 2 weeks later...

Twins have signed Logan Morrison, Anibal Sanchez, and Jake Ordiozzi. I think we need to get Cobb or Lynn if we truly want to compete this year. Especially with Santana being out for awhile. Who knows what's going to happen with Sano. Wouldn't be surprised to see him suspended though.

Yeah, I expect Sano to be suspended for 50 games, since that's what Chapman was suspended for, if I'm not mistaken.

With a rotation of Ordiozzi, Berrios, Mejia, Gibson, and Hughes to start the season, I'd like to see them add in someone, probably Lynn. Not sure that they will, but I'd be pleased if they did. I really like the signing of Morrison, getting him at the DH so we have a consistent DH with power would be great.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I said I'd like to see them add someone, probably Lynn, so I'm pleased with that signing for the Twins. I hope that he does well for them and helps them get into the real playoffs, instead of a play-in game, but I'm not sure we have quite enough to take down the Indians, but it's going to be close this year. I just wish we'd hear something about Sano so we know if he's going to be suspended for part of the season or not.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I was definitely surprised with Sano not getting suspended, but I also want to give MLB recognition for actually investigating and not just reacting to it. From what it sounds like, they did a thorough investigation into what had happened.

As for the Twins start to the season, I expect to see the offense get even better than what it has been. As for the starting pitching, that start by Berrios was great. Having someone like him in the middle of the rotation, and the expectations for Ordorizzi and Lynn. I'm excited for the starters, especially once it warms up. It doesn't, however, sound like Santana's hand/wrist are responding as well as hoped.

I think the issue has always been range at 3B, however, he has decent range going to his right and charging the ball, going to his left less so, if I remember correctly the directions. He's not going to be elite, but he can make elite throws from there. Plus, he'd probably gain even more weight if he was playing 1B.

Twins offense has come alive today. Nice to see everyone except Escobar with a hit in the 5th inning and taking 6 walks. McCullers is a good pitcher and they hit him quite well. Probably being fairly cold helped, but still nice game offensive.

I believe that Mauer is now two hits away from 2000. I did the math, if he'd been able to average 140 games in his career, he'd be just under 2500  now and we'd be talking about if he could make it 3k.

Congrats to Mauer on getting 2000 hits as a Twin. He's one of three Twins players to get 2000 hits for the team, the other two being Rod Carew and Kirby Puckett. And one of 284 players in the history of the game to get 2000 hits. Baseball reference says that 19,216 players have played in Major League Baseball since the start in 1871 to the present. So only 1.5% of Major League Baseball players have reached that total. Granted, that does include pitchers, but still a very impressive feat by Mauer and to do all with the same team I'm sure is way rarer.

Also, nice win by the Twins last night. Mauer driving in three and getting 2000 hits, and an ace like performance by Jose Berrios last night. He has some filthy stuff. I realize it was against a White Sox line-up that wasn't that great, but still an impressive outing. If Berrios keeps this up, he'll be the #1 starter and a legit ace by the end of the season. In 3 games thus far he has 20 IP, 24 K, 1 walk, and a WHIP of .629. That's including an outing where he only lasted 4.2 innings and gave up 5 runs. He's been just filthy otherwise.

• Like 1

Low right now, however, depends on how much longer he plays. If he can play like he has the past year and the start of this year, say for four total years more and a couple more years after that, which is certainly possible, he'll be close to 3000 hits, and in that case, I think he has a shot. For him, I think it's going to be a combination of longevity and a lot of solid years with a high average at catcher that can get him into the hall of fame, but right now he needs another four or five good years to get there.

Maybe the Twins will actually get to play another game sometime this year. MLB used to take in considerations for weather, but hasn't for a few years, the Twins, Tigers, White Sox, and Cubs, plus some of the other more northern teams should have one home series prior to April 15th. It's just common sense.