Grade  

5 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Can we protect the QB with injury issue we have with our 1st round pick ? No we have a good OL ? Oh we're tanking for a 2021 QB ? I mean yeah ok. 

Joking aside I hope he's improving our run D and helping a bit our passrush, but we're a long way from playoff contention. 

Really wanted Isaiah Simmons. Derrick Brown is supposed to be an elite run stopper but we don't really see that much running in our division. Atlanta, New Orleans, and Tampa all love passing. Would be nice to have two rangy LBs with Shaq and Simmons to stop the flats and Gronk and Cook and Hurst... And Simmons can even probably cover some slot guys really well or help bracket receivers out wide as a safety. Tahir Whitehead is worthless in coverage and we don't have a SS or nickel (or any corners?) for that matter. Simmons would have solved a lot of problems at once.

With so many needs, I would have been fine with pretty much any DL, OL, or secondary player.  That being said, I preferred Brown and Okudah to Simmons, and I feel like Brown is a surer bet than all the OTs other than perhaps Wills.  

In Round 2, I'm hoping for more DL help or a secondary player.

13 hours ago, Zithers2 said:

Really wanted Isaiah Simmons. Derrick Brown is supposed to be an elite run stopper but we don't really see that much running in our division. Atlanta, New Orleans, and Tampa all love passing. Would be nice to have two rangy LBs with Shaq and Simmons to stop the flats and Gronk and Cook and Hurst... And Simmons can even probably cover some slot guys really well or help bracket receivers out wide as a safety. Tahir Whitehead is worthless in coverage and we don't have a SS or nickel (or any corners?) for that matter. Simmons would have solved a lot of problems at once.

You could argue this on the defensive line too. They've got Short, who has been good, is 31 and missed most of last season. If you don't have a pass rush or run defense, it doesn't matter who is covering in the secondary, when the QB has all day to throw the ball. The Panthers should also be playing the long game, because Ryan, Brees, and Brady could all be gone in 3 years. Building up front first seems to be the smarter play.

A valid point but I feel like good LBs have longer shelf lives than good DTs, if you want to look at it as a long game. And this class is supposed to be pretty deep along the DLine. Elliott, Epenesa, Madabuike, Weaver (built like our old friend Charles Johnson), Gallimore, Greenard, Lynch, etc. are all still on the board and would be improvements over Stacey McGee or Woodrow Hamilton or whoever our backup DEs are. But there's only so much talent for off-ball LBs or swiss army knife guys in a draft.

Also I'm now remembering that our 2nd round pick doesn't matter because Hurney cannot draft 2nd rounders. Sigh.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Zithers2 said:

A valid point but I feel like good LBs have longer shelf lives than good DTs, if you want to look at it as a long game. And this class is supposed to be pretty deep along the DLine. Elliott, Epenesa, Madabuike, Weaver (built like our old friend Charles Johnson), Gallimore, Greenard, Lynch, etc. are all still on the board and would be improvements over Stacey McGee or Woodrow Hamilton or whoever our backup DEs are. But there's only so much talent for off-ball LBs or swiss army knife guys in a draft.

Also I'm now remembering that our 2nd round pick doesn't matter because Hurney cannot draft 2nd rounders. Sigh.

I've never seen someone nail 1st round picks and flub 2-7 quite like Hurney.

It is truly, truly bizarre how he might legitimately be the greatest GM in the history of the NFL at drafting 1st rounders and completely whiffs on 2nd rounders every time except that one time we got Ryan Kalil. And I guess Richard Marshall who was good enough to start for four years.