With the 10th pick, the Browns select OT Jedrick Wills

zelbell

I'm just surprised we went with Wills. He seemed like the best OT overall, but not the best fit for us in a zone blocking scheme. It's not that he can't zone block, I just thought he was the 4th best zone blocker. Clearly the most composed and steady OT overall though and it wasn't really close.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’ve said for a while Thomas and Wills were the guys I had as 1a/1b and preferable to the other two.

This is the type of “solid double” pick that good teams make.

Yup. No need to swing for the fences and potentially strike out with Becton or Wirfs when all we need is solid LT play with where the team is at. Wills probably isn't the next Joe Thomas but he should be solid at worst at the next level.

• Like 1

If Wills is a "pretty solid" LT for the next 6-8 years, this is a great pick. Put up or shut up time in 2020 everyone. Baker has 3 Pro Bowl OL, 2 Pro Bowl RB, a Pro Bowl TE, 2 Pro Bowl WR, and a lottery pick at LT. If our offense doesn't click, it's all on him.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Wills probably isn't the next Joe Thomas but he should be solid at worst at the next level.

mmm he's the closest OT in this draft to being Joe Thomas. The closest OT I've seen in a long time to being Joe.

Wills is so damn good in pass protection. Flawless, really. Just very patient and composed. And like Joe, he's a good run blocker, but not an absolute abuser. I can't stress enough how good he is in pass protection. Straight up lockdown. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BleedTheClock said:

mmm he's the closest OT in this draft to being Joe Thomas. The closest OT I've seen in a long time to being Joe.

Wills is so damn good in pass protection. Flawless, really. Just very patient and composed. And like Joe, he's a good run blocker, but not an absolute abuser. I can't stress enough how good he is in pass protection. Straight up lockdown. 

exactly 

his feet you couldn't even coach his feet

other players wouldn't be able to do it 

1 minute ago, brownie man said:

exactly 

his feet you couldn't even coach his feet

other players wouldn't be able to do it 

I don't even think it's the quickness of his feet...it's just his balance and coordination. He makes pass blocking look so easy. He's never lunging or outside of his frame. He never has to ride pass rushers past the QB because he simply staunches them at the line of scrimmage. Thomas is a great pass blocker too. However, he plays a little high and is always on the ground. Wills is the cleaner of the prospects.

4 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yeah, I couldn't possibly care less what he can do in the running game. If he's as good as we think and he looks in pass pro, that's all that matters. In our scheme, it's not like he's going to have to maul DE and SLB on a regular basis, and Bitonio has him on his inside on power running concepts.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I'm just saying if he's not a future HOFer like Joe then no big deal. As long as he's just "good" then I'll be content. If he's anything more than that, then that's obviously great.

• Like 1