With the 10th pick, the Browns select OT Jedrick Wills

zelbell

26 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

McKinney, Epensa, Winfield Jr, Pittman, Gross-Matos, Mims, Pittman Jr, Chinn, Hunt Jr, Delpitt

So many people

You?

I like Epenesa, YGM, Winfield, McKinney.

Wouldn’t be mad if they love an O lineman, this class is really great, WR too.

Just give me a good player.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Just give me a good player.

It’s really this simple. If he’s a good player, we can probably use him at a number of positions. Best player needs to be taken.

Right now I like Antoine Winfield a lot. I just want a good starting caliber player here. Can be a safety, linebacker, guard, whatever. Obviously not a running back/QB but most other positions.

• Like 1

There are so many things to like about this pick for the Browns.

• Jedrick had the reputation of being the "alpha male" in the huddle at Alabama. Since there are so many "Type A" personalities that play this game, that kind of an accolade does not just get tossed out there, it must be earned. And you know it was earned, because Alabama plays in the SEC West - aka the minor leagues of the NFL.
  • Jedrick has said he HATES to lose. His primary concern is keeping Baker clean. With Jedrick's talents, that should happen more often than not. Isee how he moves and finishes blocks. As a defender, if you get blocked by Wills, you stayed blocked or you are on your keister.
  • Jedrick played RT at Bama. Big deal. Do not forget we have probably the best offensive line coach in the league here. As stated in the linked  article, Bill Callahan's opinion mattered greatly in evaluating if the switch from the right to the left side was feasible. Callahan was greatly impressed by Jedrick.
  • As was mentioned earlier in this thread - Myles Garrett will make Wills better prepared each day in practice. And in time - Wills will make Garrett better. So the Browns got a "two-fer" with this pick. BTW - think a little SEC trash will be talked at practice between these two? never. LOL
  • Finally, it appears that Berry and Co. came in with a plan - and executed it without panic. Well done all

https://www.beaconjournal.com/sports/20200423/2020-nfl-draft-browns-select-alabama-tackle-jedrick-wills-10th-overall

And as a final note - this outside "reporter" has no business ever trying to inform us again with what we already know. What a waste of a press credential.

Edited by brooks1957
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

mmm he's the closest OT in this draft to being Joe Thomas. The closest OT I've seen in a long time to being Joe.

Wills is so damn good in pass protection. Flawless, really. Just very patient and composed. And like Joe, he's a good run blocker, but not an absolute abuser. I can't stress enough how good he is in pass protection. Straight up lockdown. 

Wills is the best pass blocking tackle I’ve ever scouted since 2003 (admittedly I didn’t focus much on Joe Thomas in 2007)

• Like 2

the only positions that dont make too much sense to me to take this day of the draft is:
qb
ot
fb
k
p
rb i guess but hunt is gone after next year, so i guess could get one next year but if one is staring you in the face and is dope *shrug* i wouldnt complain

6 minutes ago, mistakey said:

rb i guess but hunt is gone after next year, so i guess could get one next year but if one is staring you in the face and is dope *shrug* i wouldnt complain

The only RB I’d draft is my guy Cam Akers.

However, I think more than likely we get a UDFA.

One other thing I forgot to mention earlier............

This pick OFFICIALLY slams the door on the John Dorsey era in Cleveland.

In a way, I am sad about that for both of these points. But this business is a results driven business and the facts are what they are. The two most glaring errors of Dorsey's time here were the hiring of Freddie Kitchens (which I was jubilant about at the time), and the failure to shore up the offensive line after the injury/retirement of Joe Thomas.

With Wills and Conklin completing the OL, and with Chubb and Hunt in the backfield - I will be surprised if we do not lead the league in rushing this season.

Edited by brooks1957

24 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Wills is the best pass blocking tackle I’ve ever scouted since 2003 (admittedly I didn’t focus much on Joe Thomas in 2007)

Yeah he's so boring to watch in pass protection. It just looks like the defenders don't even stand a chance. He doesn't even get to show you his recovery ability because he just never gives the pass rusher an angle to slip past. Plus once he punches you, it's literally ball game.

Most tackles aren’t as short as he is. I will be honest, I have left the grunt work on breaking down these tackles to the guys that like the all 22 on them, etc.  I know he is known for being a very good pass blocker. How does his length compare to other tackles?