11th Pick Mekhi Becton

Bobby816

This pick has been universally praised by the media/analyst community. The one outlet that has not praised the pick is PFF. I was listening to the PFF Analytics podcast and thought I’ll share a few interesting ideas.

So, they didn’t like our pick because they thought we should have gone WR (more impactful position). They also prefer to go for a higher floor OT versus a high variability OT.

The part I thought was interesting and the reason I’m posting this is their comment on the Brown’s pick. One of them thought Becton was the better choice for the Browns instead of Wills. The reason is because Becton fits what Cleveland’s outside zone scheme. This is a consistent theme I’ve seen when comparing these OT. Becton always seems to get the nod as the best fit for outside zone schemes. PFF likely doesn’t know the Jets are an outside zone team. Likely because it was hard to even tell we were even trying to block last year.

So even the one outlet that hammered our pick, likely would understand our pick if they knew we were an outside zone team.

Edited by SDotNova

1 minute ago, SDotNova said:

This pick has been universally praised by the media/analyst community. The one outlet that has not praised the pick is PFF. I was listening to the PFF Analytics podcast and thought I’ll share a few interesting ideas.

So, they didn’t like our pick because they thought we should have gone WR (more impactful position). They also prefer to go for a higher floor OT versus a high variability OT.

The part I thought was interesting and the reason I’m posting this is their comment on the Brown’s pick. One of them thought Becton was the better choice for the Browns instead of Wills. The reason is because Becton fits what Cleveland’s outside zone scheme. This is a consistent theme I’ve seen when comparing these OT. Becton always seems to get the nod as the best fit for outside zone schemes. PFF likely doesn’t know the Jets are an outside zone team. Likely because it was hard to even tell we were even trying to block last year.

So even the one outlet that hammed our pick, likely would understand our pick if they knew we were an outside zone team.

Yes they had him rated as like 47th best player in the draft. So obviously they’re not going to like it.

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Yes they had him rated as like 47th best player in the draft. So obviously they’re not going to like it.

But they likely would not have bashed Cleveland had Cleveland gone Becton at #10. The argument they made is that Becton fits Cleveland’s ZBS.

50 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

But they likely would not have bashed Cleveland had Cleveland gone Becton at #10. The argument they made is that Becton fits Cleveland’s ZBS.

PFF is just like any stat or grade. It doesn’t always tell the whole story.

1 hour ago, SDotNova said:

So even the one outlet that hammered our pick, likely would understand our pick if they knew we were an outside zone team.

Hell, a big part of me wanted to go WR just for the fun of it,  but saying WR is more impactful impactful than a franchise LT is silly to me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rampantjet said:

Hell, a big part of me wanted to go WR just for the fun of it,  but saying WR is more impactful impactful than a franchise LT is silly to me. 

They would have bashed it then by saying the system and darnold are no good. They literally said that about mims, saying while they like him hes a loser cause darnold and gase.

23 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

They would have bashed it then by saying the system and darnold are no good. They literally said that about mims, saying while they like him hes a loser cause darnold and gase.

Didn’t realize they said that. Wow. They bashed our Ashtyn Smith pick. They had him  33 on their big board. Haha.

They provide good commentary on the game and players. And their stats are helpful. But clearly, they’re human.

31 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

It’s an interesting argument. Basically what they are saying is that based on the analytics they’ve run, there’s a huge difference between a bad OL and an average OL but there’s isn’t a big difference between an average OL and a great OL when it comes to pass protection which is the most important thing for winning. So, ideally your high end talent is at the skill positions and you have a bunch average guys on the OL.

I agree with you though. I think having an elite guy on the OL comes in handy when it’s 3rd and 3 and you need that first down. Just run behind the big guy. Also those average pass protectors get smoked by the better pass rushers. See Beachum versus Garrett.

4 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

It’s an interesting argument. Basically what they are saying is that based on the analytics they’ve run, there’s a huge difference between a bad OL and an average OL but there’s isn’t a big difference between an average OL and a great OL when it comes to pass protection which is the most important thing for winning. So, ideally your high end talent is at the skill positions and you have a bunch average guys on the OL.

I agree with you though. I think having an elite guy on the OL comes in handy when it’s 3rd and 3 and you need that first down. Just run behind the big guy. Also those average pass protectors get smoked by the better pass rushers. See Beachum versus Garrett.

Well then they should know from their number crunching that we didn't have an average O line we had a complete garbage OL.  Average would be amazing.   

In fact in games where Sam has had  league average protection (league average of time to throw before pressure for that game) he has a QB rating of 108.......  not elite blocking,  not even good, just league average,  and he's one of the best producing QBs in the league.   And that was with terrible weapons. 

• Like 2

I can’t do PFF anymore. Between the guys being complete jerkoffs on Twitter to the grades having some serious loop holes I just could care less how they arrive at their  Madden-esque grading system. If you’re an ex player, a student of the game, know what you are watching, those guys opinions are useless. If this was NFL regulated or there was about her entity that could validate their system I would take it more serious. I get the sense of a ton of bias though from that group. Just my opinion though. 

3 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

I can’t do PFF anymore. Between the guys being complete jerkoffs on Twitter to the grades having some serious loop holes I just could care less how they arrive at their  Madden-esque grading system. If you’re an ex player, a student of the game, know what you are watching, those guys opinions are useless. If this was NFL regulated or there was about her entity that could validate their system I would take it more serious. I get the sense of a ton of bias though from that group. Just my opinion though. 

I agree with this. But what bugs me is when I see people play both sides. Some say Q wasn't a bad pick bc he was PFF best ever DLIneman. Yet are now trashing PFF bc of Becton's grade. Which one is it? Cant use it as measure to say a players good or bad whenever it suits their case. Not saying this is you at all. But I have seen some on here play both sides of it.

55 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I agree with this. But what bugs me is when I see people play both sides. Some say Q wasn't a bad pick bc he was PFF best ever DLIneman. Yet are now trashing PFF bc of Becton's grade. Which one is it? Cant use it as measure to say a players good or bad whenever it suits their case. Not saying this is you at all. But I have seen some on here play both sides of it.

Is this not true of all statistical analysis?  Numbers don’t lie, but people do. After all, 88.4% of all statistics are made up on the spot. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I don't care much about PFF with either guy.   I loved Q because he was spending entire games in the opposing teams backfield while drawing double teams. 

I like Becton because he throws people out of the club like no one I've ever seen, and I think his pass blocking abilities are being under sold.   I've watched several full games of him and I saw 1 play where you could argue he gave up a pressure, but it was not that bad of a rep even.