11th Pick Mekhi Becton

Bobby816

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

I can’t do PFF anymore. Between the guys being complete jerkoffs on Twitter to the grades having some serious loop holes I just could care less how they arrive at their  Madden-esque grading system. If you’re an ex player, a student of the game, know what you are watching, those guys opinions are useless. If this was NFL regulated or there was about her entity that could validate their system I would take it more serious. I get the sense of a ton of bias though from that group. Just my opinion though. 

You ARE 100% RIGHT

• Like 2

12 hours ago, rampantjet said:

Well then they should know from their number crunching that we didn't have an average O line we had a complete garbage OL.  Average would be amazing.   

In fact in games where Sam has had  league average protection (league average of time to throw before pressure for that game) he has a QB rating of 108.......  not elite blocking,  not even good, just league average,  and he's one of the best producing QBs in the league.   And that was with terrible weapons. 

This is why the only choice at 11 was an OT.  We literally almost didn't even have another choice.  We needed good impact players immediately.

Any other team that signed a good center like McGovern and added a talent like Becton should be feeling good about their OL.  The Jets shouldn't since it's still a major question mark.  Just goes to show you how bad our OL was.  

I really hope the OL plays well because I know what Sam can do as you said when he gets some time.  

16 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

This is why the only choice at 11 was an OT.  We literally almost didn't even have another choice.  We needed good impact players immediately.

Any other team that signed a good center like McGovern and added a talent like Becton should be feeling good about their OL.  The Jets shouldn't since it's still a major question mark.  Just goes to show you how bad our OL was.  

I really hope the OL plays well because I know what Sam can do as you said when he gets some time.  

Ya, I think you also have to factor in how much a terrible C drags down the guards around him.   I think McGovern will make our guards live a lot easier. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xrade said:

Is this not true of all statistical analysis?  Numbers don’t lie, but people do. After all, 88.4% of all statistics are made up on the spot. 

It is true. But thats why I don't like it when someone uses the same source to go pro something they're defending and then use it as not a legit source for something else. Its either a reliable source to you or its not. It can't be both.

I'll use me as an example so someone doesn't think I'm picking on them... I for 1 don't think PFF is this end all be all grading system. for what its worth.

But lets say I praise Bless Austin Week 1 and point to that he had the 3rd best rating per PFF Week 1. I find it ridiculous for someone than in turn on week 2 when he plays poorly and grades as a poor CB, to say he didnt play bad. PFF was just rough on him. If you actually watched the game he wasnt that bad....

Cant have it both ways.

• Like 1

Agreed. That was my point. We see it every day in the media and politics.  They extract bits of data to fit their preformed biased narrative. It is no different with sports or anything else in which human emotions are involved. 

• Like 1

There is a large gap to be filled in football analysis that PFF attempts to fill. It is usually unsuccessful at filling in parts of that gap. They understandably get a lot of attention because few others in the public sphere are even trying to do it, but most of their output is ultimately lacking. 

• Like 1

I'll give an example of how as a fan it sounds weird to play both sides of PFF. Becton was rated 47th overall I believe by them. And we all think that's inaccurate. Yet Bryce Hall before his injury was rated the #1 CB in NCAA by PFF. So you cant bash PFF for Bectons rating yet praise PFF for Halls.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I'll give an example of how as a fan it sounds weird to play both sides of PFF. Becton was rated 47th overall I believe by them. And we all think that's inaccurate. Yet Bryce Hall before his injury was rated the #1 CB in NCAA by PFF. So you cant bash PFF for Bectons rating yet praise PFF for Halls.

I’m sure different things are prioritized for deferent positions Bob. I’m a fan of theirs when it comes to DB rating but not much else, they’re to inconsistent everywhere else.

• Like 1

https://www.pff.com/grades

This is a breakdown of how they grade players. Their intentions are good but their execution is flawed at times because positive or negative grades are based on their interpretation of what a player should have been doing on a given play. You can take their grade and say a player played good or bad but at times the film will explain it better.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KingOfTheDot said:

https://www.pff.com/grades

This is a breakdown of how they grade players. Their intentions are good but their execution is flawed at times because positive or negative grades are based on their interpretation of what a player should have been doing on a given play. You can take their grade and say a player played good or bad but at times the film will explain it better.

Right, it’s not entirely “analytical” to assign arbitrary numbers based on your opinion. 

Edited by NewAge
  • Like 5

Becton is one of those dudes where football comes easy to, hes just so massive and strong and athletic. If he has a good work ethic, he should be a elite LT.  Listening to Becton when he got drafted really gave me hope, if he legitimately loves football and wants to be great he'll be great. He has natural talent that can't be coached and I honestly watching his film don't see any major flaw. Most can be corrected and will get better with NFL coaching. 

I think this is the best draft we had in a decade. Obviously not everyone is gonna be a star, but this draft in general was super deep and had good players throughout. Getting a guy in round 5 who has legitimate talent to start is what makes this class great.  If we can get multiple starters out of this class, it accomplished more than Maccagnan has ever had. 

13 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

Becton is one of those dudes where football comes easy to, hes just so massive and strong and athletic. If he has a good work ethic, he should be a elite LT.  Listening to Becton when he got drafted really gave me hope, if he legitimately loves football and wants to be great he'll be great. He has natural talent that can't be coached and I honestly watching his film don't see any major flaw. Most can be corrected and will get better with NFL coaching. 

I think this is the best draft we had in a decade. Obviously not everyone is gonna be a star, but this draft in general was super deep and had good players throughout. Getting a guy in round 5 who has legitimate talent to start is what makes this class great.  If we can get multiple starters out of this class, it accomplished more than Maccagnan has ever had. 

I think he's closer than people are giving him credit for.   Obviously work ethic is important for any player coming in and none of us really knows the work ethic of any prospect coming in, but I think one think that will help is that we also drafted Clark. 

Clark by all accounts is a hard worker,  and they are good friends.   If they can feed off each other and work out and study film together it could help them both immensely.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

I think he's closer than people are giving him credit for.   Obviously work ethic is important for any player coming in and none of us really knows the work ethic of any prospect coming in, but I think one think that will help is that we also drafted Clark. 

Clark by all accounts is a hard worker,  and they are good friends.   If they can feed off each other and work out and study film together it could help them both immensely.

I think hes going to have a better rookie season than Brick had for us and a chance that hes talked about as the best OT from this class.

I don't see any major flaws with him and unlike any other OT, he has ability to effortlessly toss people to the ground. Like 260 lb DEs get thrown back easily by him, you don't see that from anyone in this class. Andrew Thomas is a safe pick, solid OT. Wills is technically sound and you don't see him getting beat much. But you don't see them tossing guys that easily. 

Wirfs is a RT but scares me because he overextends a lot and is gonna get eaten up by NFL edge rushers if he doesn't correct that, its a major flaw right now.  I think Wirfs is better suited for OG and would be dominant at OG.

Austin Jackson is like Wayne Hunter out there, his technique is awful and he gets eaten up in college games really badly. They are hoping he plays much better in the NFL than he did in college because he was a turnstile. With how badly I saw him get beat in multiple games, I'd be really worried. IMO Josh Jones was a better and a steal for the Cardinals.  Jackson is the most likely to bust in round 1 IMO. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

Austin Jackson is like Wayne Hunter out there, his technique is awful and he gets eaten up in college games really badly. They are hoping he plays much better in the NFL than he did in college because he was a turnstile. With how badly I saw him get beat in multiple games, I'd be really worried. IMO Josh Jones was a better and a steal for the Cardinals.  Jackson is the most likely to bust in round 1 IMO. 

We can only hope he busts since he is on Miami.  I honestly think the draft for Miami was not that good.  There were many higher rated draft prospects at each slot they chose.  It almost feels like they were trying to channel their inner Belicheck and "outsmart" everyone else.  Time will tell.

• Like 2