Pick #12 is in: WR Henry Ruggs, Alabama

RaidersAreOne

17 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

One of the reasons why I wanted Ruggs is because it's gonna force Gruden to open things up on offense and be creative. This puts a lot of pressure on Gruden which is needed because the offense we saw the first two years was not creative and very vanilla. Ruggs should line up all over the field. Jet sweeps and touch passes should be heavily used.

Carr has shown from his early years to throw a good deep ball time to dust off that right arm cause he's gonna use it a lot. 

I also think gruden changed the offense last year without AB. That lack of talent at WR made him go way more conservative with his calls. I'd like to see Williams Waller and Ruggs hit 1000 this year. Ruggs speed will allow them to not bracket, which in turn will allow all of them to eat hopefully.

• Like 2

This is still a C grade pick for me. I didn't rank Ruggs as a top 3 WR. He's got speed and hands, but 12 overall and the best praise is "he'll open the offense". Can he be a go to target? Can he catch 75 balls a year? 

With Lamb/Jeudy on the board, your choice of WR you take the "upside" guy with speed. Never broke 750 yards in his career despite all that speed. Shutdown against LSU's press corners. Physical coverage slowed him down dramatically. He needs to get stronger, his YAC is pure speed. He goes down on contact. Gruden will need to play call to keep him clean.

5 years from now, this is going to look like a bad pick IMO when compared to the rest of the WR class. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

This is still a C grade pick for me. I didn't rank Ruggs as a top 3 WR. He's got speed and hands, but 12 overall and the best praise is "he'll open the offense". Can he be a go to target? Can he catch 75 balls a year? 

With Lamb/Jeudy on the board, your choice of WR you take the "upside" guy with speed. Never broke 750 yards in his career despite all that speed. Shutdown against LSU's press corners. Physical coverage slowed him down dramatically. He needs to get stronger, his YAC is pure speed. He goes down on contact. Gruden will need to play call to keep him clean.

5 years from now, this is going to look like a bad pick IMO when compared to the rest of the WR class. 

You do realize you said that's about the 1st pick the raiders take in every draft.

We basically already have our go-to 90-100 catch guy in Waller. Renfrow is a good chain moving slot. Williams is a solid #2 who was on pace to score double digit TDs before he got hurt. I want another possession WR today but we have the makings of a good WR core. HR3's gamebreaking speed will be a big welcomed addition to this offense. Gruden has been clamoring for it since last year when we were reportedly very high on Hollywood Brown. I am fascinated to see how creative he gets with HR3. That was the happiest I've seen Jon look in a long time.

Carr, imo, isn't the type of QB who absolutely needs a go to WR. At his best, he spreads the ball around and gets everyone involved. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I also think gruden changed the offense last year without AB. That lack of talent at WR made him go way more conservative with his calls. I'd like to see Williams Waller and Ruggs hit 1000 this year. Ruggs speed will allow them to not bracket, which in turn will allow all of them to eat hopefully.

We I’d all like to see it realistically I doubt it I mean Carr supported 2 WR for 1K but 3 ? 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

You do realize you said that's about the 1st pick the raiders take in every draft.

Your point? Because it's fitting every year... they've not gotten good value with their first pick in the first round in what feels like ages. 

Ferrell, Miller thus far under Gruden, hated the value for where they were taken and the players taken after them. Ruggs is now 3 in a row where Gruden clearly is the voice in round 1. 

My guess.... Mike Mayock is about to pluck a WR day 2 that will outperform Gruden's choice at 12 overall. Just like he did with Maxx last year. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jmckinney559 said:

That’s BS... if the Raiders did that, then they would have drafted either Jeudy or Lamb.. we will regret this pick for years to come. 

But... They picked ruggs with every receiver still available. Please correct me if I'm reading your comment wrong, but what you are saying is that the raiders would've picked jeudy or lamb had they traded down, which my comment guessed and implied they would've but couldn't? In layman's terms, the raiders had jeudy and lamb ABOVE Ruggs....

Dude, they were all still on the board! WTH are you bambling about???

If we traded down your logic dictates they would all still be there. It's the same darn thing, it's just at pick 12 rather than a later pick.

Edited by doctordeath

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

Your point? Because it's fitting every year... they've not gotten good value with their first pick in the first round in what feels like ages. 

Ferrell, Miller thus far under Gruden, hated the value for where they were taken and the players taken after them. Ruggs is now 3 in a row where Gruden clearly is the voice in round 1. 

My guess.... Mike Mayock is about to pluck a WR day 2 that will outperform Gruden's choice at 12 overall. Just like he did with Maxx last year. 

Miller is on his way to become one of the best LTs in the NFL. You had him as a bust and then Ferrell and now Ruggs. You're so caught up in the draft you don't realize how players fit into system. Even if Riggs never gets more than 900 yards a year but opens up the offense for other players, it will be well worth the 12th pick.

2 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Miller is on his way to become one of the best LTs in the NFL. You had him as a bust and then Ferrell and now Ruggs. You're so caught up in the draft you don't realize how players fit into system. Even if Riggs never gets more than 900 yards a year but opens up the offense for other players, it will be well worth the 12th pick.

Yes and no. With the 12th pick he has to be a 1000 yard guy to ever qualify value. 

He is a weapon and tyriek hill has helped his value for sure, especially to us. But it all depends who we get to pair him with. If we get a mims or Edwards or something then this makes even more sense. I wanted ruggs over juedy but CeeDee was my guy. Juedy may do better year one but isn't some explosive specimen. Ruggs is. 

1 minute ago, roi34 said:

Yes and no. With the 12th pick he has to be a 1000 yard guy to ever qualify value. 

He is a weapon and tyriek hill has helped his value for sure, especially to us. But it all depends who we get to pair him with. If we get a mims or Edwards or something then this makes even more sense. I wanted ruggs over juedy but CeeDee was my guy. Juedy may do better year one but isn't some explosive specimen. Ruggs is. 

Me too, CeeDee was only other option. You can see that drafting Ruggs wasn't just for the pass of game but also to open up the running game. What other WR can do that?

• Like 1

Just now, Bitty 2.0 said:

Me too, CeeDee was only other option. You can see that drafting Ruggs wasn't just for the pass of game but also to open up the running game. What other WR can do that?

Hamler and Mims maybe. But ruggs is different level of fast but with good hands still. 

• Like 1