Pick #12 is in: WR Henry Ruggs, Alabama

RaidersAreOne

Meh...Wanted CeeDee because i believe he would've been the best fit for DC. But Gruden is drafting for the best fit for his offense. Ruggs is a good player with highest ceiling. Can't teach pure speed. Steps on the NFL field as a top 5 speed guy right away. Not your typical "deep threat only" little guy. High catch rate and can do damage all over the field. 

Opens up the field for other players. Will have to be accounted for at all times. 

10 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

We got our possible Tyreek Hill 2.0. I’m completely ok with it. In Mayock, I trust. 

Ruggs III will be a nightmare for DC’s to gameplan against. 

Welcome to Las Vegas, Henry!

why the default trust for the guy who reached for Ferrell last year and now Ruggs this year?

I was infatuated with Lamb and I think he's gonna be incredible, but you can argue that Ruggs brings a blend of traits that no one else has in this draft. That's what Grudock will going to say.

I'll give it a C on value, but no doubt Ruggs is a good player. If you don't gameplan for him, he will shred you.

If he's a tyreek hill clone, there's no way he won't be a 1000 yard receiver. This guys playmaking ability with our already solid run game is going to be great for out offense. Not my first choice, but 6 of on,e half dozen of another. Either of these top 3 WR's are going to make us better in different ways, I'm sold. 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/henry-ruggs-iii/9PMNe2V0Ag

Positives (+)

Absorbing Contact: Smaller stature, but Ruggs III body strength is vastly underrated. This trait also shows up in contested catch situations. Oncoming tacklers often bounce off of his body without impeding his running process as a result. Clean hits on him are often hard to come by because of his firmness while on the move. Breaking tackles are a huge part of his game once securing the catch and he’s able to unravel from them with ease. Even when coated by defenders, the threat of their presence doesn’t force him to become shy with using his hands to haul in catches.

Elite Burst/Route Over-exaggerations: Ruggs III is an absolute game changer who’s exceptional once the ball is in his hands. His instincts and feels as a runner are off the charts. He feels as if he can score whenever he gets his hands on the ball no matter the positioning on the field. Ruggs III has little regard for his body and will lay it all out on the line in order to pick up maximum yardage. As a route-runner, he utilizes supplementary head fakes and additional arm/shoulder movements in order to sell and persuade defenders every which way. 

Flooring the Gas Pedal/Route Speed: The former Crimson Tide receiver has eye-popping straight line speed when given clear running lanes or coverage cushion. On quick patterns or tunnel screens, he has the footspeed and acceleration in order to leave defenders in the dust in a hurry. His dynamics as a running threat are elite and he’s a big play waiting to happen if given a hint of daylight. Ruggs III picks his feet up and puts them down at a rapid rate. He’s easily able to separate and pull away when in the clear and makes everyone else surrounding him look as if they are moving in slow motion. 

Negatives (–)

First Level Traffic: He shows the ability to consistently defeat press coverage, but maintaining the win showed up as a problem often. Ruggs III has sudden movements at the line that help him win cleanly, but he was inconsistent with carrying out and finishing the rep. This was most evident when in stacked or slot alignments. 

Scheme Creativity: The Tide scheme kept him on the move, which generated many touches form him. Used as the motioning option on jet sweeps and the chaser on the backside of bootlegs/rollouts, he was the beneficiary of many easy touches. Stacked alignments and pre-snap motions helped him remain clean and avoid challenges at the line from physical defenders. Remaining paired with a creative offensive coordinator will be a necessity for him in order to maximize his true value. 

Route Physicality: His strength with the ball in his hands versus when without it are two totally different stories. He relies heavily on extra movements to create new planes for space when running routes. His physical presence and the ability to fight through contact on route stems are inconsistent. The good heavily outweighs the bad, but his lack of arm/hand usage in routes to fight through physicality is noticeable.

I don't hate the pick but I think it shows us that Mayock thinks he can get a big 6'3ish possession WR/ Red Zone threat later in the draft.  There are a bunch of those guys in the late 2nd/3rd round.  That is the only way Ruggs makes sense.  If we can nail that big possession WR Ruggs is very good value and compliments him well. 

• Like 1