Niners select Javon Kinlaw DT at 14

49erurtaza

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Add Mike Renner as a big fan of the pick. Said you can get Brown's of the world in every draft, but guys like Kinlaw aren't available ever year. I liked one thing he said, build a roster with eliteness over completeness

+1 love this

We will put him in situations that allow him to be elite at what he can do

32 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So the DL once again is pretty jam packed. So who makes the roster and who gets cut? 

Roster size is 55 now, right? We'll probably keep like 10-11 DL? 

Bosa, Armstead, Ford, Hyder, Blair, Kinlaw, Taylor, Jones, Givens, Thomas. Maybe re-sign Damontre Moore 

Just now, Gore Whore 21 said:

We definitely need some edge players, preferably someone who can get after the passer. We are screwed if we lose Bosa, Dee, or AA. 

tbf I totally forgot about Hyder. bit of a reclamation project but he's the hard edge guy. 

1 minute ago, John232 said:

tbf I totally forgot about Hyder. bit of a reclamation project but he's the hard edge guy. 

He seems more like a nickel DT to me. I haven't really paid attention to his career much, but that was my impression when he was in Detroit anyway. 

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't think it changes all that much. Kinlaw for Buckner, anything else really that different? Maybe there's a guy or two who starts the season with the team because Blair / Taylor aren't ready, but otherwise, i Just don't think there's much difference

I don't know, I think Givens has a legit shot at making the team. We also signed Hyder this offseason, though we did lose Day to Indy as well. 

Not sure if Street makes the team tbh. Hasn't shown anything when given an opportunity. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't know, I think Givens has a legit shot at making the team. We also signed Hyder this offseason, though we did lose Day to Indy as well. 

Not sure if Street makes the team tbh. Hasn't shown anything when given an opportunity. 

I do think Givens has a shot...I assumed he was Day's replacement tbh. 

Honestly, I agree about Street. I think he's even looked bad against the scrubs. 

I wouldn't mind some change ups in the lineup, but I think it's fairly nominal. Kinlaw for Buck, Givens for Day. The wildcard would be Street v Hyder maybe. 

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

I do think Givens has a shot...I assumed he was Day's replacement tbh. 

Honestly, I agree about Street. I think he's even looked bad against the scrubs. 

I wouldn't mind some change ups in the lineup, but I think it's fairly nominal. Kinlaw for Buck, Givens for Day. The wildcard would be Street v Hyder maybe. 

Hyder is a DE primarily. I think he's just insurance for Blair. Another camp body who might surprise like Moore. Givens is a penetrator so I think he's a 3T, through and through. Think it would be a mistake to try ask him to play any type of NT, which is where they played Day when Jones went down. 

Street is the one I would try@NT. He's strong as an ox....and that's about it. He's not a pass-rusher. Put him over the center and see how he does. I wouldn't even waste snaps trying him@3T. We have enough penetrators. Need depth who anchor and hold up against the run. 

Not sure where Kinlaw fits right now. My first thought was just to play him in nickel as a rookie. But then you're taking snaps away from Thomas in the nickel, which is ideally where you want to play him...inside on passing downs. 

But now I really believe he'll get a legitimate shot to start next to Jones and back-up Jones as well.  I initially thought it would be AA and Jones primarily inside but having Kinlaw on the roster allows them to keep AA in his previous role. If Taylor were healthy, I would think he'd be the one to start opposite Jones. But with his availability in question to start the season, I think they give Kinlaw looks at both NT and 3T and go from there.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I think the comp for Kinlaw has to be Chris Jones. Jones came in at 310 and I think we should have Kinlaw somewhere between 300-315. If Kinlaw turns into Chris Jones we'll be cooking. 

Chris Jones is the most notable comp and the upside one. I liked Kinlaw better as a prospect because Jones had a highly notable on / off motor in college. I've also seen him comped to Michael Brockers, Leonard Williams, Marcus Stroud, Jarran Reed, etc etc. 

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

Chris Jones is the most notable comp and the upside one. I liked Kinlaw better as a prospect because Jones had a highly notable on / off motor in college. I've also seen him comped to Michael Brockers, Leonard Williams, Marcus Stroud, Jarran Reed, etc etc. 

Michael Stroud, haven't heard that name in a long time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

We definitely need some edge players, preferably someone who can get after the passer. We are screwed if we lose Bosa, Dee, or AA. 

How many teams can lose their top pass rusher and be ok? Injuries are gonna happen...can't really plan for those. Load up on the DL and hope for health. 

Dating back to 2015, 5/7 of our 1st round picks have been DL

Armstead, Buckner, Thomas, Bosa, Kinlaw. The other two 1st round picks in that time frame were OT Mike McGlinchey & LB Reuben Foster

I'll say this...there are worse positions to load up on the 1st round. Its always good to have a deep DL. And so far, only Thomas has busted. But maybe Solly could be salvaged into a decent backup. 

52 minutes ago, Forge said:

When I started to watch him and see the upside I thought of Richard Seymour. Seymour was athletic DT who can play on the edge with his burst and quickness.

• Like 1