Niners select Javon Kinlaw DT at 14

49erurtaza

2 minutes ago, sherm said:

I'm still don't get why people can't see the difference in talent the nfl viewed Kinlaw from the other DT. Jeudy/Kinlaw similar range in prospects so I get that...but those other DT didn't go until pick 40(Blacklock) and pick 88(Elliott). A few others went into between those 2. That's a huge gap from 14 to 40. So for me is Jeudy that much more of a prospect than Aiyuk to make up for the difference in the gab between Kinlaw and Blacklock? 

To be clear their on field play will determine how good the draft really was. Just some random talking points. 

As an upfield penetrator, Kinlaw seems to have rare potential (not all realized yet), and his physical traits are ultra-elite at his position. The difference between the wideouts was much less stark; Aiyuk is probably a better SPARQ score guy than Jeudy, anyway, whatever their difference in experience/technique.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sherm said:

I'm still don't get why people can't see the difference in talent the nfl viewed Kinlaw from the other DT. Jeudy/Kinlaw similar range in prospects so I get that...but those other DT didn't go until pick 40(Blacklock) and pick 88(Elliott). A few others went into between those 2. That's a huge gap from 14 to 40. So for me is Jeudy that much more of a prospect than Aiyuk to make up for the difference in the gab between Kinlaw and Blacklock? 

To be clear their on field play will determine how good the draft really was. Just some random talking points. 

Fair, but to me positional value matters. As good as Buckner is, you could make a strong argument that Ford was more valuable than him last season when he played. Getting a top notch WR to me has more value than an interior DL, especially for this team. 

Now, of course if Aiyuk is the real deal, than this will end up working just fine. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Fair, but to me positional value matters. As good as Buckner is, you could make a strong argument that Ford was more valuable than him last season when he played. Getting a top notch WR to me has more value than an interior DL, especially for this team. 

Now, of course if Aiyuk is the real deal, than this will end up working just fine. 

Sound argument, no doubt. Like I mentioned, not my first choice at that spot but I definitely understand the thinking there. But my only real concern with Kinlaw is his knees and his injury history. Same concerns I had with Bosa last year, given his injury history dating back to high school. But as a player, his upside is phenomenal. Just watch the Georgia tape. Only game anyone really needs to watch imo. He was doubled at least 70% of the time, against one of the talented, biggest, pro-like offensive lines in all of college football and he was disruptive af still. I remember there was one play where their center tried get him on a angle-block and Kinlaw literally threw him like 5 yards in the backfield with one arm, into Swift and created a TFL. He was double-team constantly in 2019. He wont get nearly that kind of attention on our front, which I think will lead to him getting some great opportunities to impact games.   

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Sound argument, no doubt. Like I mentioned, not my first choice at that spot but I definitely understand the thinking there. But my only real concern with Kinlaw is his knees and his injury history. Same concerns I had with Bosa last year, given his injury history dating back to high school. But as a player, his upside is phenomenal. Just watch the Georgia tape. Only game anyone really needs to watch imo. He was doubled at least 70% of the time, against one of the talented, biggest, pro-like offensive lines in all of college football and he was disruptive af still. I remember there was one play where their center tried get him on a angle-block and Kinlaw literally threw him like 5 yards in the backfield with one arm, into Swift and created a TFL. He was double-team constantly in 2019. He wont get nearly that kind of attention on our front, which I think will lead to him getting some great opportunities to impact games.   

I have very little doubt he's going to be a good player and even an impact player in year one. Love the player and thought he was the best interior DL in the draft. I expect pro bowl appearances from him in two or three years. But if Aiyuk doesn't end up being a good player, than it was a fail even if Kinlaw is a pro bowl caliber player. JMO… 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I have very little doubt he's going to be a good player and even an impact player in year one. Love the player and thought he was the best interior DL in the draft. I expect pro bowl appearances from him in two or three years. But if Aiyuk doesn't end up being a good player, than it was a fail even if Kinlaw is a pro bowl caliber player. JMO… 

Aiyuk has to be more than good just to justify the trade-up imo...

I will see it as another silly reach by a regime that has constant need to let their HC play regional scout with the skill positons. But I wont knock the Kinlaw pick because of anything Aiyuk does because we've proven this offense doesn't need top flight talent@WR to be highly effective. Of course we as a fanbase would like some talent out wide. But if we keep making Shanny our sole WR evaluator from Round 1-3, we deserve everything we get, good or bad.

If anything, Kinlaw may get both Shanny & Lynch a saving grace, as Shanny admitted they were ready to take Aiyuk@13 if they weren't able to trade back. Imagine how much pressure would have been on the kid and the braintrust under that scenario.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I will see it as another silly reach by a regime that has constant need to let their HC play regional scout with the skill positons. But I wont knock the Kinlaw pick because of anything Aiyuk does because we've proven this offense doesn't need top flight talent@WR to be highly effective. Of course we as a fanbase would like some talent out wide. But if we keep making Shanny our sole WR evaluator from Round 1-3, we deserve everything we get, good or bad.

If anything, Kinlaw may get both Shanny & Lynch a saving grace, as Shanny admitted they were ready to take Aiyuk@13 if they weren't able to trade back. Imagine how much pressure would have been on the kid and the braintrust under that scenario.

If they had taken Aiyuk at 13 I would be in a very different mood about this draft. I like the kid as a good prospect but no way could my homerism even let me think that was a good idea(not with elite talent still on the board). The Kinlaw pick was always a good idea to me cuz it was a need(debatable on how big) and the talent matched where we were drafting. Dude was always a top 10 pick for me. Even over the top WR in Lamb who I like. I thought in a deep draft like this and a pick at the back end of rd 1 we could maximize our picks by waiting on WR with the 2nd pick. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, JIllg said:

He’s so long and so strong and generally just goes through people. On the downside, guys get extended early and get their butts low and their weight over their toes to get extremely prepared for it. Any time he flashes a counter, it’s unstoppable. There was a snap against Missouri where he flashed pulling cloth for one of the first times and just yanked the dude forward to the ground because his weight was all forward ready for the bull rush. Anything like that - pulling cloth, dip and rip, anything that he figures out - is going to be immensely dangerous because if you aren’t fully geared up for the bull rush he will mow you down. He’s too long and too low and too strong. He plays with nasty leverage for such a tall guy.

6 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Great posts, and they both show why we should all be super pumped.

He is such a physical presence with good leverage. he's had amazing success with only 1-2 moves. It was negligent not to double the guy, he was so disruptive. He won't get doubled here very often. We also have a very technical DL coach who is going to teach him counter moves. He straight up eats guards for lunch as it is, but with a counter move or two? The guy will be unlockable and an absolute nightmare up front. 

Health is a real concern, but you gotta roll the dice sometimes 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Forgot to address this is my prev quote. What is more than good to u? I've said before by my comparison I think he can be a good starting wr(1k a season 6-8 TD). Now he could be the next OBJ(highly doubtful) but if he's not I won't be upset. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Geek said:

So I keep hearing he can squat 2k pounds. That seems like a stretch since it would be double the world record. Is there any proof of it? I can't seem to find the source of that claim.

The original tweet got removed. But he "belt-squatted" 2,000 pounds on the belt-squat machine. It’s a way to load the legs without putting strain on the back. It's a common exercise in sports like powerlifting, as it allows lifters to get in more volume while minimizing injury. 

Trade-up history of this regime:

1) Reuben Foster 

2) CJ Beathard 

3) Joe Williams 

4) Dante Pettis 

5) Brandon Aiyuk

I'm willing to say we just ban their ability to trade up the board if Aiyuk doesn't pan out. You might also be inclined to include Tarvarius Moore on this list since he was the pick we made in the swap with the Patriots for Trent Brown. I left that one off as I felt that wasn't trading up for a specific player. 

• Like 2

On 4/26/2020 at 3:44 AM, sherm said:

Forgot to address this is my prev quote. What is more than good to u? I've said before by my comparison I think he can be a good starting wr(1k a season 6-8 TD). Now he could be the next OBJ(highly doubtful) but if he's not I won't be upset.

He needs to be the best WR on the roster. A walking 1000/8-10 TD a year type of WR. Maybe not every year considering Kittle's presence in the passing game. But he should be a guy that because we have Kittle, can consistently get behind defenses and exploit man coverage situations, outside the hashes. Maybe even get some Pro Bowl consideration every now and then. My player comp would be DeVante Adams in terms of impact/production. Probably won't get fed the ball like Adams because of Deebo and how we spread the ball around. But he should command the #1 CB shadow of opposing teams every week. 

Edited by 757-NINER

7 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

That's a grown-*** man right there. I didn't think 325 lbs. could look like that. Buck was the same height, but playing at 30-40 lbs. lighter. Lynch mentioned in an interview that he was concerned that Buck was struggling to deal with beefy guards late in the year when he was playing around 285 lbs. 

Kinlaw has a lot to learn, but if refines his technique and develops a more advanced pass rush plan, he's going to be a game wrecker. The foundation is there - size, athleticism, motor, willingness, and coachability. Kocurek is going to have fun molding this man into something really special.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

That's a grown-*** man right there. I didn't think 325 lbs. could look like that. Buck was the same height, but playing at 30-40 lbs. lighter. Lynch mentioned in an interview that he was concerned that Buck was struggling to deal with beefy guards late in the year when he was playing around 285 lbs. 

I have concerns about the weight. We will see how that works out I'm curious if the strategy is to have him stay where he's at, lose weight or what.