Pick #19 is in: CB Damon Arnette, Ohio State

RaidersAreOne

4 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Let's be real here. The difference between a 4.55 and a 4.48 is miniscule. Did Arnette get run by on tape?

Did he "protect" his lack of long speed (which I dont see) with bad tendencies? I didn't see it.

I really liked Dantzler and he ran slow, but he looked fine in cutups. Same deal here.

Lmao I think BR said 4.45 to 4.48 is not bad but Lambs 4.50 meant he’d struggle to get deep... even id admit 4.57 (I’ve seen 4.64 on nfldraftscout and their reliable) is scary in our division with KC’s speed 

3 minutes ago, OG_C2X said:

Xavien Howard?

Point taken, but look at percentages. How often does a guy succeed at 4.55+ at a high level? You rarely see that is the point. You can throw out 3-4 names, but that’s not the overall point. 

To put Arnette in the best position to succeed with his speed, we really need to give him two very good safety’s.

6 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

You mean above 4.55 not sub. 

But not many. Speed is way more important for CBs than WRs. 

Like I said just, Richard Sherman is an example at 4.56. But he had two great safety’s. Arnette will need two great safety’s as well. Anyone who thinks otherwise is being a homer imo. Look at 4.55+ throughout history. 

But Sherman and most slower successful CBs have long arms and are lengthy... Arnette 5’11.5” and 30” arms

3 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I know I went ballistic about the pick.... and it’s definitely bad.... but if we traded to 37 (I use this number because NE traded there from 23 so we can assume we could have gotten exact same deal) then it’s honestly a decent to pick.  Look how round 1 ended:  Noah Igb..whatever from Auburn and Jeff Gladney.... maybe Arnette really doesn’t make it out of round 1?how else is left on the board that’s highly rated... Johnson and Diggs?  

@BayRaider do you think he’s gonna be able to play outside with that poor speed and short arms... he can press ok even with short arms... in college.  I just wish he was 4.45 and 22 not 24yo.  It’s just a lot of issues together for 19.

do you think he plays slot or outside?  Was his 40 time not accurate to his real speed? 

I think any corner who runs under a 4.6 can succeed at a high level in the NFL, but you really need to be great in coverage and be a real dog. Arnette is both of those things. His speed is a concern though, whether some fans wanna downplay it or not. We should give him a dominant Safety Tandem to put him in the best position to succeed. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Lmao I think BR said 4.45 to 4.48 is not bad but Lambs 4.50 meant he’d struggle to get deep... even id admit 4.57 (I’ve seen 4.64 on nfldraftscout and their reliable) is scary in our division with KC’s speed 

That combine time was a combine time. I'm pretty sure it was electric. 4.64 seems way off. If a corner is running in the 4.6 range, that's a problem. 4.5 range, I can work with that. 
The whole point of press is to slow someone down. If he's able to press effectively and use his hands well, he can prevent even the fastest of receivers from getting away from him. 

9 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

I said he's annoying, put the sauce down bro.

There was no need to take a swipe at me when I wasn’t even talking to you.  I was commenting on HN’s comment and backing him.... you came at me .... and I don’t drink at all..: in fact I think it’s for weak people 

• Like 1

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

We can look at athleticism numbers all day. But corner is one of the hardest positions in the NFL to project. We'll have to wait and see.

That is true.... I like the player just not the decision of where we took him.... had we moved to like 35-40 this would be a very nice pick... I even thought to myself like last week it’s crazy how no one talks about him much here but chalked it up to he was in that wierd range of not worth 19 but wouldn’t get close to 80.  

about the numbers : did he just run a bad time on that one day the combine was on cuZ for a long time I thought he was suppose to be a solid 4.45 guy

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

That combine time was a combine time. I'm pretty sure it was electric. 4.64 seems way off. If a corner is running in the 4.6 range, that's a problem. 4.5 range, I can work with that. 
The whole point of press is to slow someone down. If he's able to press effectively and use his hands well, he can prevent even the fastest of receivers from getting away from him. 

http://www.draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1003270&DraftYear=2020

thats were I got it and their usually really good with the stats.... could be a mistake idk. Not trying to prove u wrong... just showing you my source 

edit: wow they switched it to 4.56 .... like an hour ago it was 4.64 I swear on everything   Maybe someone emailed them or they realized it once he was picked 

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 1

4.64 you probably got Dantzler’s time by mistake. 

4.64, I don’t care how good your coverage is, you are a Zone Corner at the next level. Great Safety tandem or not. 

4.56 you can still be a solid corner in the NFL, and with a great safety tandem, you can still be top-tier corner. 

25 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

There was no need to take a swipe at me when I wasn’t even talking to you.  I was commenting on HN’s comment and backing him.... you came at me .... and I don’t drink at all..: in fact I think it’s for weak people 

I didn't come at you all, I asked a question then said HB was annoying for posting the same thing 10 times already.  Who is HN?

20 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I think any corner who runs under a 4.6 can succeed at a high level in the NFL, but you really need to be great in coverage and be a real dog. Arnette is both of those things. His speed is a concern though, whether some fans wanna downplay it or not. We should give him a dominant Safety Tandem to put him in the best position to succeed. 

Honestly I don’t know what to make of that time at the combine. Some players just time bad... it really happens... he always was suppose to be a 4.45 type guy (he’s been on my radar for 3 years) and he played like a 4.45 speed guy.

I actually thought he played good in the slot over the last 2 years and his soph year that’s where he mostly played and played very well.

”Arnette only allowed 306 yards on 25-56 targets (44.6%) in 2019. Arnette's lack of ball production has been a continuous concern though. He's picked off only four passes in those three seasons and broken up only 17 more.” - PFF Draft Guide 2020

id right off the  lack of PD/INTs cuZ he wasn’t targeted a ton

only has a 60QBR when targeted which is great.

last 3 years played around 600 snaps and 306 Sr, 434 jr, 383 soph year with only 1 TD per year which is great.  

Just now, raidr4life said:

I didn't come at you all, I asked a question then said HB was annoying for posting the same thing 10 times already.  Who is HN?

Sorry I thought you were just being a jerk towards me honestly.  I misunderstood you and was a jerks back.  I apologize I shouldn’t have done that.  I meant HN not HN, typo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

What are you talking about? For clout? Cmon man.

I mean you really believe an nfl coached texted him after the 1st rd and said yeah that corner raiders drafted we had him in our top.10. Cmon. A friend of the program at that. I dont know if it's for clout but he definitely lying.