Pick #19 is in: CB Damon Arnette, Ohio State

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Everyone is ragging on his speed so noted. But what else does he struggle at? He has some potential character issues? From the sounds of things he's one hell of a tackler, fiesty and tough, good size, and good in coverage. 

Speed, arm length, and character concerns are his three issues. @Darbsk projected him as a Nickel CB because of his arm length, which is where he may end up in 2021 if he struggles on the outside this year. 

Outside of those three issues, he’s fantastic at everything else. Fantastic instincts, great man coverage, great press ability, dog mentality, very physical, and great tackler. 

• Like 1

Just now, BayRaider said:

Speed, arm length, and character concerns are his three issues. @Darbsk projected him as a Nickel CB because of his arm length, which is where he may end up in 2021 if he struggles on the outside this year. 

Outside of those three issues, he’s fantastic at everything else. Fantastic instincts, great man coverage, great press ability, dog mentality, very physical, and great tackler. 

Good to know. It sounds like having a kid may have lit a fire under his butt and smarten up. The speed and arm length stuff may be an issue he can't overcome but with proper coaching and scheming maybe he can mask those issues. 

How does he play. I've never seen him get smoked on the field. Not saying it never happens. And OSU ain't play a bunch of top wrs. But if he dint play faster than 4.6 than the combine run shouldnt matter that much. With that said the value seems bad. Moving forward yall just got to hope mayock board is awesome. Cause clearly value be darn with them they going to still with the board no matter what. 

The arm length scares me more than the speed tbh. It’s trademark Nickel CB arm length. 

But it’s nice to know his floor is a dominant Nickel CB. No way he fails inside imo. 

However, I think he can succeed outside. He’s tough. Like I said before, he’s just gonna need some good Safety’s.

Just now, BayRaider said:

The arm length scares me more than the speed tbh. It’s trademark Nickel CB arm length. 

But it’s nice to know his floor is a dominant Nickel CB. No way he fails inside imo. 

However, I think he can succeed outside. He’s tough. Like I said before, he’s just gonna need some good Safety’s.

Ain't no way we are starting him inside unless he cant cut it on the outside. But this year he will have the opportunity to start outside for sure. 

10 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

Well we will find out early in training camp when he has to battle ruggs if speed will be a major flaw. 

Ruggs biggest question mark is will he be able to handle press coverage. While Arnette's biggest question mark is will he be able to stay with speedy WR. They should help each other out. 

• Like 3

Now that I’m calm and thinking rationally maybe Arnette wasn’t a bad late first round pick, sure 19 was a reach but if we moved to 25-27 I’m  thinking it’d have been a good pick.  I thought he was just a big reach for 19 and would have been there at 35-40ish.  Now I don’t think so.... Noah Igb... of Auburn went 30 and Jeff Gladney went 30.  Arnette is in that group. 

its a real possibility group think and outsider opinions effected our opinions.  

I posted this link before:

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2020-nfl-draft-top-10-cornerbacks-by-coverage-situation

And Peter King cites it here:

In single coverage he was 3rd best CB (Robertson was 1 and he plays in a weak conference and in the slot, Diggs was 2):

36 targets, 10 receptions allowed (27.8%) and QBR when targeted of 33.3

Another pff stat: versus obvious passing downs: #3 and just by a small margin from #1

17 targets , 7 rec allowed = 41.2%, QBR 26.8

3rd stat- versus accurate passes 
52 targets, 41 rec = 78.9% (#2) 

Hes played 600ish snaps for 3 years and only gave up 1 TD each year.

606 (Sr): 56t targets, 25 Rec allowed= 44.6%  306 yds, 1 TD

584 (jr): 43 targets, 29 rec. allowed= 67.4%
434 yds, 1 TD

616 (soph): 48 targets, 29 rec allowed= 60.4% *** mostly in slot*** 383yds, 1TD

Being that he always had another good CB next to him he was probably tested pretty hard and played real well.

So my calm, collected opinion is he would have been a good pick at 25-29 which is slightly higher than 19, but not as much as we first thought.  What would we have likely got for trading down to 25-29? A late 3rd round pick?  

i don’t love the pick but I think I overlooked him... I don’t often do it but I think this a case.  What do you all think?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Ruggs biggest question mark is will he be able to handle press coverage. While Arnette's biggest question mark is will he be able to stay with speedy WR. They should help each other out. 

I'd say we'll know early in camp when he goes up against Ruggs.  🤷🏼‍♂️

12 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

Ain't no way we are starting him inside unless he cant cut it on the outside. But this year he will have the opportunity to start outside for sure. 

I agree, never said he wasn’t starting outside first. I said his floor is a dominant Nickel Corner which is nice. If he fails outside, we have a tremendous guy inside. 

• Like 1