Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Raves

With the 24th pick in the NFL draft...

Recommended Posts

58 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Trevon Diggs could be an intriguing option in round 2 many mocks had him as a mid 1st round pick

That name gives me PTSD. For that reason alone pass. Seriously though he would be a nice get. Lattimore, Jenkins, CGJ, Diggs, P-Rob and PJ Williams as our CB group would add both depth and quality.

If we do trade up and not take a LBer (Baun would look good as our SAM), gotta think we are looking at someone like Ogletree. I know Payton says they are going to address LB either through the draft or otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

That name gives me PTSD. For that reason alone pass. Seriously though he would be a nice get. Lattimore, Jenkins, CGJ, Diggs, P-Rob and PJ Williams as our CB group would add both depth and quality.

If we do trade up and not take a LBer (Baun would look good as our SAM), gotta think we are looking at someone like Ogletree. I know Payton says they are going to address LB either through the draft or otherwise.

Yeah Baun would be my top choice at LB, honestly if I was given the choice I may go with him since I think we have a better bunch of CB's already on the roster compared to our LB unit. Baun is a guy that in some regards I'd prefer over guys like Murray and Queen. He isn't quite as athletic as those guys, but seems to be a more technically sound player showing great instincts with a more proven track record than a guy like Queen, and brings some really good pass rush ability too. Baun is no slouch athletically either even if he isn't quite Murray or Queen level in that regard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Yeah Baun would be my top choice at LB, honestly if I was given the choice I may go with him since I think we have a better bunch of CB's already on the roster compared to our LB unit. Baun is a guy that in some regards I'd prefer over guys like Murray and Queen. He isn't quite as athletic as those guys, but seems to be a more technically sound player showing great instincts with a more proven track record than a guy like Queen, and brings some really good pass rush ability too. Baun is no slouch athletically either even if he isn't quite Murray or Queen level in that regard.

I think it's also important to remember we're trying to replace/upgrade Klein. Who was our SAM. I think there is an argument that Baun (and possibly Murray) fit the SAM role better than Queen did. Like you said Buan shows more ability in the pass rushing department. How many times last year did we send a blitz and Klein was a non-factor? Having that extra body who can add that pressure would really help our pass rush. If we do take him, I think he rounds out our LB group really nicely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

I do wonder if this is the year DA starts to employ someone in a 'big nickel' type role. Where it's a bigger safety prospect playing closer to the LOS. There are still players like Jeremy Chinn and Kyle Dugger available and atleast one of them should be there in the 3rd or later. Last year crossing routes killed us. They turned a 5 yard gain into a 30 yard gain. Over and over again it was shown our LBers were too slow to chase effectively. I wonder if the Saints see a solution in having a 'big nickel' type player who can come in on third downs and help cover the middle of the field. It would require us to get a 2 down thumper for the SAM role either through the draft or in FA (Ogletree after we cut Easton?).

It might indicate DA changing our approach on D in response to some real let downs the past 2 seasons.

Again just food for thought and me guessing (for which I could be completely wrong haha).

I think that you still need two dependable LBs, otherwise, that's technically a dime defense. I have little to no faith in our LB's after Davis...and Davis is a free agent next year. Something really has to be done otherwise it could be disaster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I think that you still need two dependable LBs, otherwise, that's technically a dime defense. I have little to no faith in our LB's after Davis...and Davis is a free agent next year. Something really has to be done otherwise it could be disaster.

We could take someone like Patrick Queen in the 1st... oh wait 

 

im still salty. I’m sure he’s gonna be a good player and I’m sure if we get banged up we’ll be glad to have him... but right now we’ve got a lot invested in 4 IOL and only 3 spots to play

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Dome said:

We could take someone like Patrick Queen in the 1st... oh wait 

 

im still salty. I’m sure he’s gonna be a good player and I’m sure if we get banged up we’ll be glad to have him... but right now we’ve got a lot invested in 4 IOL and only 3 spots to play

There was a report that the Saints were interested in Jordyn Brooks. There is no guarantee that the Saints would have even selected the right LB. 

I am honestly too young to remember the last time the Saints drafted a good LB. There is a generation of Saints fans who have never seen it happen. I remember when I started following the draft in high school that I'd always do a ton of research on the LBs knowing that it was a need. Well...I'm more wise now...and I don't even bother. What the point? The Saints are going to draft some obscure LB that will never pan out to anything in the mid to late rounds and nothing will ever change. The only time that they took it seriously...they took a 2nd-3rd round prospect in the 1st round. They are inept at scouting the position...either that or our decision makers just refuse to make it a priority.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we get Zack Baun tonight that would end my saltiness over the Queen situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

There was a report that the Saints were interested in Jordyn Brooks. There is no guarantee that the Saints would have even selected the right LB. 

I am honestly too young to remember the last time the Saints drafted a good LB. There is a generation of Saints fans who have never seen it happen. I remember when I started following the draft in high school that I'd always do a ton of research on the LBs knowing that it was a need. Well...I'm more wise now...and I don't even bother. What the point? The Saints are going to draft some obscure LB that will never pan out to anything in the mid to late rounds and nothing will ever change. The only time that they took it seriously...they took a 2nd-3rd round prospect in the 1st round. They are inept at scouting the position...either that or our decision makers just refuse to make it a priority.

I was a kid (13ish) when the Dome Patrol was a thing. It was cool because they played in the old NFC West, and when they played the Niners those games were always televised here. (Sacramento area) They were so much fun to watch. The Saints haven't had Lbs since. Vilma was a good addition for us. Davis now too. Other than that? It's been a revolving door of trash cans.  I hope so hard every year for good LBs. Still. Waiting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tyler735 said:

If we get Zack Baun tonight that would end my saltiness over the Queen situation.

Love this pick! Can't believe we got him in the 3rd round. I wouldn't have been upset if we grabbed him last night let alone in the 3rd round

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone read up on Ruiz?

NOLA has a great write up about his journey, and it's a fun read. (when I say great write up, I mean content, not structure).
Here's the LINK

This kid had every reason to become a giant thug, and instead became a positive leader in every way possible, even going back to his highschool to help other kids who may be in his former shoes.

The more I read about this kid, the more I'm surprised we didn't trade up to get him, especially with Payton's happy feet during the draft.

I think Ruiz will become a team favorite, and quickly. He's durable, smart, engaging, egar, physical, big, and is a clear winner.

I love this pick!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×