With the 24th pick in the NFL draft...

Raves

Just now, SWATcha said:

Except they paid Peat a ton of money.

Yup. Only way this makes sense is if Ruiz/McCoy kicks to guard and we trade Wardford for some kind of pick or player.

If it’s for depth or the future I don’t like it. There were players that could’ve seen the field and made an impact this year 

• Like 1

If they didn't just massively overpaid Peat, I could've been ok with this pick... but they did so this pick was horrible.  This is worse than what we paid for to get Davenport, though Davenport is underrated overall, he's still performed less than what we paid for.

4 minutes ago, Dome said:

This is one I can’t get behind. I supported Peat when it wasn’t a need and was disappointed when they re-signed him. 

Im sure he’ll be a good player... hope he doesn’t ride the bench while brees tries to win it all one last time 

Never been a Peat fan myself and thought we overpaid when we resigned him, but he does give us some versatility on the OL if someone goes down. Hope this rookie can be a nasty Jahri Evans type guard for us

1 minute ago, tyler735 said:

Never been a Peat fan myself and thought we overpaid when we resigned him, but he does give us some versatility on the OL if someone goes down. Hope this rookie can be a nasty Jahri Evans type guard for us

If he's not an Evans/Nicks type OG he's a bust considering where the team is right now.  It's not fair to him, but that's how he is going to be rated.

• Like 2

My bet is they cut Warford. The brass was not impressed with him this year. We paid to much for Peat but can kick out to tackle not if but when Armstead gets hurt. happens every year. He was the top rated center and overall interior lineman in the draft. I’m fine with the pick. 

Yeah I don't know guys, this pick is iffy. The Saints work within bubbles of the draft, for example prospects A, B and C make up the first bubble and so on. My best guess is that they had Ruiz rated far higher than the other players left on board. Saints have shown time and time again they won't sacrifice BPA for need. Combine that with the fact that Payton never really liked LBs and the team was high on Elliss before his injury, and we might be adding a LB much later in the draft than most of us feel comfortable with.

The good news is we'll have a ready made replacement for when Warford leaves after next season.

• Like 1

I didn’t dislike the pick last night. After sleeping on it, I like it even more. The bottom line is we lost to the Vikings in the playoffs because of the OG play. This allows us to start our best 5 offensive lineman. Also, when Armstead gets injured you’re not weakening your interior OL when Peat has to kick outside. We also save 7.5 mil of Warford is cut. That could be an option to sign a FA LB or WR. I still think we trade up into the second to take a guy we have rated highly. The three OL we have drafted in the first two rounds since hiring Ireland are Rammy, Peat, and McCoy. Not too shabby. Trust the process!!!

• Like 2

Report: Saints plan to move Erik McCoy to guard after picking Cesar Ruiz

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/23/saints-draft-cesar-ruiz-michigan-football-erik-mccoy-news/

I'd love to see Wardford traded for a Day 2 pick or even a depth-quality linebacker, that would make me feel a lot better about this move.

It would make no sense to bring the rookie in to play C, then put McCoy on the bench behind Warford.

Warford's days are numbered, there's no "next year" for him IMO. He's going to be cut or traded.

Edited by Dome

McCoy graded out as one of the best pass blockers in the league last year. Not best out of the rookies, or best of the centers, one of the best period.

I don't know if I love the idea of moving him around, even if it's a supposedly easy transition.

Now that I've had some time to think about the pick for a bit, I have warmed up to it quite a bit. Sounds like Payton views him as an early starter for us, and he is likely the most talented Center/Guard in the draft. Don't think the Saints brass was impressed by Larry Warford's play last season, and sounds like Ruiz might take over that spot. Curious to see if we deal Warford today.

Another think I saw noted was that if the right player is available in the 2nd round, the Saints mentioned they may trade into the 2nd round. Could be a fun draft day today. 

Edited by tyler735

3 minutes ago, Dome said:

I really hope we do.

Sticking with Ruiz and dealing Warford would save us some $$$ the next few years, and probably help us to resign some of our key pieces that will be looking for new contracts in the next couple seasons.

4 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Sticking with Ruiz and dealing Warford would save us some $$$ the next few years, and probably help us to resign some of our key pieces that will be looking for new contracts in the next couple seasons.

IMO it's the only way to make this pick make sense.

If we drafted him just to watch him sit for a year, or so we could watch McCoy sit behind Warford for a year then we really screwed this one up bad.

If we trade Warford and then announce Kamara or Lattimore has been resigned then it'll all be worth it.

Was I surprised by the pick - yes

Does the pick make sense to me - yes

The Vikings beat us in the playoffs by exposing a big hole of interior pressure. Brees was scrambling. I remember this happening in the Rams game too. 

I didn’t know too much about Queen but it sounds like we would have had to reach. I saw any of picks 20-23 being players we would have targeted as well, but it is what it is.

The only two players before the pick I could have seen us going for outside of Queen would have been Mims or a QB, but it would have been a reach.

It’s not a flashy pick but I think it was one of the correct ones. Payton mentioned they are going to try to get a LB too.

last piece I’ll say is the Saints do a good job of buy positions low. It was crazy to see Lattimore drop to us a few years ago and weren’t there like 3 CBs picked in the top 15 this year! 

• Like 1