With the 24th pick in the NFL draft...

Raves

32 minutes ago, Dome said:

Report: Saints plan to move Erik McCoy to guard after picking Cesar Ruiz

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/23/saints-draft-cesar-ruiz-michigan-football-erik-mccoy-news/

I'd love to see Wardford traded for a Day 2 pick or even a depth-quality linebacker, that would make me feel a lot better about this move.

It would make no sense to bring the rookie in to play C, then put McCoy on the bench behind Warford.

Warford's days are numbered, there's no "next year" for him IMO. He's going to be cut or traded.

I think Warford performed well enough, but I can't see him getting more than a 4th or 5th. Teams just don't like taking on big money players, even if they have one year left.

I could see us cutting Nick Easton. While he performed well and has some versatility, he's a lot lower on the pecking order and we need the cap space. Warford competing with McCoy/Ruiz to start might light a fire beneath him.

I will say this, if this is truly Brees' last year, our next QB is going to have a really great O-line protecting for him going forward. Ruiz-McCoy-Ramcyzk as the right side for the next little while is going to make any QB's life a lot easier.

I don't trust the Saints when it comes to some things...but I do trust their evaluation of the OL. They have consistently been among of the best in the NFL in evaluating, drafting, and grooming OL. 

I didn't think that Ruiz was an option but I also did not know the Saints were so down on Warford. There's a lot of contingencies that would require this draft pick to be successful.

1) Ruiz is at least as good as McCoy was in 2019
2) McCoy is at least good as Warford was in 2019

The challenge is that I do NOT think that the first will happen because McCoy was so good his rookie season (arguably the best rookie interior lineman). The second has a real chance of being possible, but it's not a lock by any stretch of the imagination. I think, more likely, that this is a move for 2021 and beyond. I'm fine with that, but I honestly thought that the Saints were all in this year.

LB continues to be an abyss and I am very hopeful that the Saints will still find a way to get an upgrade to Kiko/Alex in the draft, because there are slim picking in FA. Otherwise, we will likely take a step back at that position next year...and it already was a huge weakness in the first place. Not worried about WR...as there are about 30 good WR's in this class.

• Like 1

I'll generally defend anything the Saints do since bringing in Ireland. So I'm good with whatever.

Last year our O-line was complained about by EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US here in this forum. Peat is glass, when is Armstead going to need 5 weeks off, Brees is scrambling, Kamara can't get a hole to run through etc... 

The Vikings were the 3rd team to exploit our deficiencies. Most people know you have to double Mike T in order to beat us, then Brees picks you apart. Well, the Vikings said to hell with that, and brought more D-line pressure than anyone not named Aaron Donald or the Week 10 Falcons who roasted us for 6 sacks. When Brees stares down Mike waiting for him to get open - and he will get open - and ignores virtually every other receiver option, you're going to get hosed, and quick.

Our line is shaky, and the LB position doesn't mean squat if you can't keep Brees clean.

• Like 1

In addition, we're trending young in our O-line, and that will make is so much easier on Brees' successor. 

Lots of people laughed at the 49ers for taking D-line in the 1st round several years in a row, then they traded for a quality QB and nobody's laughing now. I think the Saints can do the same.

19 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

In addition, we're trending young in our O-line, and that will make is so much easier on Brees' successor. 

Lots of people laughed at the 49ers for taking D-line in the 1st round several years in a row, then they traded for a quality QB and nobody's laughing now. I think the Saints can do the same.

It would also help Taysom if he's the guy because I think that our OL is probably better equipped in a power rushing offense. Peat struggles on delayed handoffs but he's pretty good when he just gets to plow. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

LB continues to be an abyss and I am very hopeful that the Saints will still find a way to get an upgrade to Kiko/Alex in the draft, because there are slim picking in FA. Otherwise, we will likely take a step back at that position next year...and it already was a huge weakness in the first place. Not worried about WR...as there are about 30 good WR's in this class.

I do wonder if this is the year DA starts to employ someone in a 'big nickel' type role. Where it's a bigger safety prospect playing closer to the LOS. There are still players like Jeremy Chinn and Kyle Dugger available and atleast one of them should be there in the 3rd or later. Last year crossing routes killed us. They turned a 5 yard gain into a 30 yard gain. Over and over again it was shown our LBers were too slow to chase effectively. I wonder if the Saints see a solution in having a 'big nickel' type player who can come in on third downs and help cover the middle of the field. It would require us to get a 2 down thumper for the SAM role either through the draft or in FA (Ogletree after we cut Easton?).

It might indicate DA changing our approach on D in response to some real let downs the past 2 seasons.

Again just food for thought and me guessing (for which I could be completely wrong haha).

At this point if we can land some of these guys (in no particular order) throughout the rest of the draft I will be happy:

WR:

Devin Duvernay

Laviska Shenault

Denzel Mims

Tyler Johnson

LB:

Zack Baun

Logan Wilson

Davion Taylor

Clay Johnston

CB:

Trevon Diggs

S:

Antoine Brooks

RB:

Antonio Gibson

QB:

Jalen Hurts

Jacob Eason

8 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

At this point if we can land some of these guys (in no particular order) throughout the rest of the draft I will be happy:

WR:

Devin Duvernay

Laviska Shenault

Denzel Mims

Tyler Johnson

LB:

Zack Baun

Logan Wilson

Davion Taylor

Clay Johnston

CB:

Trevon Diggs

S:

Antoine Brooks

RB:

Antonio Gibson

QB:

Jalen Hurts

Jacob Eason

I actually think Gibson in the 3rd would be a very Saints like pick. I think you picked him in your mock draft and his ability to play RB/WR would really work for us I think. Apparently we had 1 RD1 grade on a RB and another RB who we like who should be available later on. Gibson could be the guy we like later on.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

I actually think Gibson in the 3rd would be a very Saints like pick. I think you picked him in your mock draft and his ability to play RB/WR would really work for us I think. Apparently we had 1 RD1 grade on a RB and another RB who we like who should be available later on. Gibson could be the guy we like later on.

Yeah saw that mentioned about us liking a RB later on, had me wondering the same thing. Could be kind of fun to have Kamara and him.