1.22 - MIN: Justin Jefferson WR/LSU (Jersey #18)

RpMc

6 minutes ago, Krauser said:

They didn’t underuse Diggs last year. He played all the time and had nearly half of the targets that went to WRs. He was the go-to option in most high leverage situations.

The offense was efficient but not prolific, so Diggs counting stats were only OK compared to WRs on teams that threw more. But he was still arguably the MVP on offense last year.

The scheme requires 2 good WRs. They only had one. It was a huge need. 

I think underused is being used in a different context here. Yes, he was the focal point of the passing game. He was also missed/overlooked frequently, so the assertion is that they left a lot of plays on the field. 

18 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I think underused is being used in a different context here. Yes, he was the focal point of the passing game. He was also missed/overlooked frequently, so the assertion is that they left a lot of plays on the field. 

Didn't take full advantage of, sure. But as you say he was the focal point of the passing attack, not underused.

Diggs complained I guess because he doesn't like Cousins, and/or wants to be able to put up Pro Bowl counting stats, which won't happen as long as they don't throw the ball more. 

But Diggs forcing his way out is not a reason for the Vikings not to invest in another receiver who might be able to replace what Diggs did in this scheme.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Didn't take full advantage of, sure. But as you say he was the focal point of the passing attack, not underused.

Diggs complained I guess because he doesn't like Cousins, and/or wants to be able to put up Pro Bowl counting stats, which won't happen as long as they don't throw the ball more. 

But Diggs forcing his way out is not a reason for the Vikings not to invest in another receiver who might be able to replace what Diggs did in this scheme.

I don’t disagree with the pick from a value or need standpoint. I’m just saying that “being underused” is an argument of semantics. I was personally frustrated that they got rid of the best offensive player on the team because they were unwilling to try to get the most out of him. I’m hopeful that Jefferson can be a great player for them.

• Like 1

Interesting comparison to Reggie Wayne, but I can see it.  Ironically I always thought Stefon Diggs was similar to Marvin Harrison.

Given how the draft board fell I don’t think our draft could’ve gone much better.  Admittedly if the top 3-4 OT’s were off the board then I wanted to trade back with both of our 1sts and load up on 2nd and 3rd round picks, but I do like the players we took.

For the people complaining about the WR pick it was definitely a need and he was BPA.  Adam Theilen missed almost the whole season last year with hamstring issues.  If he were to go down similarly again this year and we didn’t have a top 2 round drafted WR on the roster we would probably have a record of less than .500.  Going into games with Tajae Sharpe, Bisi Johnson, and Chad Beebe as our top 3 WRs would be reminiscent of when we had to suffer through Bobby Wade, Troy Williamson, And Robert Ferguson!  *nightmares*

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kparty15 said:

Tajae Sharpe, Bisi Johnson, and Chad Beebe as our top 3 WRs would be reminiscent of when we had to suffer through Bobby Wade, Troy Williamson, And Robert Ferguson!  *nightmares*

How DARE you compare a legend like Bobby Wade to those other guys.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

so what was the point of trading Diggs for Jefferson?

Diggs was a malcontent who wanted out.  He pretty much forced his way out so it's not like the team made the choice.  Although I wanted Mims, there is no doubt that Jefferson is a very good receiver and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if we look back on it 15 years from now and say that Jefferson had a better career in Minnesota than Diggs did. 

I'm mad that we traded Diggs. But why are people questioning the motive behind it? People are acting like Spielman gladly traded away Diggs. Keeping Diggs was going to be so bad for the locker room. He didn't want to be here, and he complained and moaned about everything. Minnesota got amazing compensation for him and he needed to go. It sucks to lose someone of that quality, but he was going to do more harm than good if he stayed here. Our hand was forced. We need to give Jefferson a chance. He is a good player and I'm confident we can find ways to use him effectively. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

Wow.. I am surprised to see such a mixed reaction on Jefferson pick on here. I was mostly on twitter during the draft yesterday and the reception for this pick was very positive on twitter but here it seems really mixed.

If pick 25 was used on Jefferson, I’m sure there would be much less concern. Because the narrative is they used the pick for Diggs to get another WR “who will never be as good as Diggs.”