Niners traded up for Brandon Aiyuk at 25 WR

49erurtaza

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

They say he runs all the routes...but I don't see it. Of course, they could mean "all the routes we need him to run"? I don't know. There are few things I see that intrigue me such as winning contested throws and good change of direction. Just don't know.

I was much more excited about Pettis...but look how that has panned out so far. 

Yea I dont see it either. He basically ran 3 routes and a bunch of WR screens.

• Like 1

I also found it quite interesting that Kyle said of Aiyuk that he's "kinda like Dante" in that he has the ability to play all three positions - X, Y and Z - in an offense. He then went on to mention that Aiyuk is "completely committed to being as good as god ever intended him to be"...which is a weird thing to say, and not something I would say of Dante Pettis.

My guess is that we just drafted Pettis' replacement, and that he may get traded before Goodwin at this point. Is Dante still worth a 4th/5th rounder? Maybe...I dunno.

1 minute ago, sherm said:

Yeah, saw that after I posted. Makes me think it was less of a panic move by Shanny and more him not wanting to risk losing out on his guy. Maybe that's the same thing, but who knows. I would love to get a peek into how they make their big board. 

Interestingly, Aiyuk said in the interview w/him that he had a strong suspicion (via his agent) the 49ers would draft him as soon as they traded down at #13. That's interesting. Sounds like there was no leak of Kyle's preferences, though, and it also looks like the FO jumped the Dolphins at #26 for Aiyuk.

12 minutes ago, Ronnie's Pinky said:

Interestingly, Aiyuk said in the interview w/him that he had a strong suspicion (via his agent) the 49ers would draft him as soon as they traded down at #13. That's interesting. Sounds like there was no leak of Kyle's preferences, though, and it also looks like the FO jumped the Dolphins at #26 for Aiyuk.

I feel like we make it very clear to prospects when we are picking them 

I had a hard time with this pick considering the talent we had at #13 and the talent that would have still been on the board at #31, but I trust Shanny on this one. If this is his #1 WR that he was targeting and they felt the need to move up...not to mention them being comfortable with NO day 2 pick, I gotta trust the pick.

I do have some concerns in that Aiyuk was a screen machine and I did NOT see examples of being able to run the entire route tree, but im sure the highlights i'm watching are very limited as well.

That being said, im stoked to add some talent to an already talented (yet often injured) Wr group.

• Like 1

On the topic of Shanahan evaluating WRs, remember last year his #1 target was supposedly N'keal Harry. And it is too early to say what he will become, but he wasn't good in his rookie season. Aiyuk to me is clearly the better prospect, but I don't think we can yet say his evaluations on WR have proven to be good yet.

• Like 1