Niners traded up for Brandon Aiyuk at 25 WR

49erurtaza

5 hours ago, Forge said:

There's a part of me that almost believes him though. This is what I was saying a couple of months ago lol

So u knew inside all along. Next time trust your gut...lol Sometimes we talk ourselves into another guy(wr at 13 for the last 2 wks) when most of us know this teams FO profile and what they like. I don't think they're that much different than us. Sure they have more resources to evaluate players...but all it takes is one guy to flash on the screen and the idea of he's my guy begins. Not sure how dug in Lynch is on that...or is that his HC? We know Kyle loves to find "his guy" and find a way to draft him.

• Like 1

Now I won't go all homer here. I did think we panicked and cost us a decent pick on day 3. Not a killer but quality for us since we don't have any day 2 picks. Not sure if he would have made it even though no other wr went off the board...prob could have. If not I would have been good with a trade back and try to draft Shenault(when healthy he checks all of Kyle boxes) early 2nd rd. 

To be clear I like the prospect and the area we drafted him...especially with all the other top wr off the board. 

11 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

We just got Bruce!!!! Wow!!!!! 

Niners making a team full of bullies. YAC monsters. 

If Aiyuk can beat the jam on the outside and put the best defensive backs on skates while making every route possible look like a go route then he'll be the next Bruce. Good luck to him. That's a tall order. 

Edited by PapaShogun

10 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Even though I don't like him as a prospect, I could have probably lived with it had we stay@31. But the trade up just irks me to no end. Lynch has a history of trading up and getting zero production out of it. His one lone victory was Foster...if you can call that a victory. From Joe Williams to Pettis, this is a bad pattern that seems to be repeating itself. 

That's what they do. They'll zero in on a guy, and come hell or high water they'll sell the farm to get said guy. 

3 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Bingo! He got free releases a majority of the time. The few times I saw him face press, he didn't look comfortable...like at all. 

I mean its over and done with. I hope he makes me look like the biggest fool. But this feels excatly like Pettis for me. Move up for the WR Kyle wants. And that has been a total disaster to this point. I think the only reason they hit on Deebo is because they got a good look at him@the Senior Bowl. I do give him credit for liking Harry last year, who I was also high on. But the trade ups are what infuriate me the most. We shall see...

Well Harry has been awful so far. 

They say he runs all the routes...but I don't see it. Of course, they could mean "all the routes we need him to run"? I don't know. There are few things I see that intrigue me such as winning contested throws and good change of direction. Just don't know.

I was much more excited about Pettis...but look how that has panned out so far. 

• Like 1

I also feel like Pettis was a good pick. When he finally got on the field his rookie year, he was incredible. He was doing exactly what shanny drafted him to do. Then the guy regresses to borderline useless. When a player can’t be consistent in his career, especially when they were consistent in their college career, it’s fair to not place much blame on a coach FO. Pettis clearly has issues preparing and maturing. 

there’s still hope for Pettis but I think Aiyuk is a better prospect overall. I think his thickness, arms, contested catch ability as well as being pretty fast down the field
(doesn’t come off as special, similar to Moore, good but not elite, Moore closer to great than good). The things he seems to struggle with or lack Experience  in are very coachable.

i like him, don’t love him. Would have preferred Pittman or Mims, but I think shanny is going to really get the most out of him.

3 minutes ago, John232 said:

I also feel like Pettis was a good pick. When he finally got on the field his rookie year, he was incredible. He was doing exactly what shanny drafted him to do. Then the guy regresses to borderline useless. When a player can’t be consistent in his career, especially when they were consistent in their college career, it’s fair to not place much blame on a coach FO. Pettis clearly has issues preparing and maturing. 

there’s still hope for Pettis but I think Aiyuk is a better prospect overall. I think his thickness, arms, contested catch ability as well as being pretty fast down the field
(doesn’t come off as special, similar to Moore, good but not elite, Moore closer to great than good). The things he seems to struggle with or lack Experience  in are very coachable.

i like him, don’t love him. Would have preferred Pittman or Mims, but I think shanny is going to really get the most out of him.

Same, I just KNEW Pettis would be able to get separation with his route running and would be great for Shanny' scheme, especially out of the slot where he has two way options....And towards the end of his rookie season, he proved what he could do. Was damn good to end the season before getting hurt...However, clearly he lacks the physicality and isn't willing to fight for contested catches. The last two years the WRs that Shanny has drafted are all physical beasts, especially after the catch. With Jimmy's quick trigger, it makes sense. Still would have liked to see someone truly threaten to stretch the field to open up other areas on the field, but I like Aiyuk.....Just the trade up with Shanny always gives me reason to pause. He just HAS to get his guy and will go insane waiting to get that particular player. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

They say he runs all the routes...but I don't see it. Of course, they could mean "all the routes we need him to run"? I don't know. There are few things I see that intrigue me such as winning contested throws and good change of direction. Just don't know.

I was much more excited about Pettis...but look how that has panned out so far. 

Pettis took a mighty dip in year two because of his mind, not because he's not talented. At the end of 2018, Pettis was looking like a stud and the pick was justifiable. He has the personality of a cat and he needs to get over himself. 

I was just watching some Aiyuk highlights and a cool video on breaking down his route running. He's not super polished as a route runner, but he definitely knows what he's doing out there. I came away much more impressed with his route running ability after watching an actual breakdown of it. Here's the video: 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Same, I just KNEW Pettis would be able to get separation with his route running and would be great for Shanny' scheme, especially out of the slot where he has two way options....And towards the end of his rookie season, he proved what he could do. Was damn good to end the season before getting hurt...However, clearly he lacks the physicality and isn't willing to fight for contested catches. The last two years the WRs that Shanny has drafted are all physical beasts, especially after the catch. With Jimmy's quick trigger, it makes sense. Still would have liked to see someone truly threaten to stretch the field to open up other areas on the field, but I like Aiyuk.....Just the trade up with Shanny always gives me reason to pause. He just HAS to get his guy and will go insane waiting to get that particular player. 

Kyle seems to have learned his lesson from Pettis: doesn't matter how well a guy moves if he's soft. Aiyuk is raw, but Kyle clearly thinks he can train the kid on the nuances of the position. One thing I'll say about Aiyuk...I don't believe the "unofficial" 4.5 posted speed number for him. The 40" vertical is more indicative of the explosiveness he shows on tape, where he looks like somewhere in the 4.3s kinda fast.

My guess is that if it's true Aiyuk wouldn't have made it to the end of the 1st round, it's because NFL evaluators were wise to the fact that Aiyuk's speed is legit. Here's an article which suggests much the same - that Aiyuk's playing speed is greater than the 40 time we have for him: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2020-nfl-draft-evaluating-on-field-speed-for-henry-ruggs-and-other-top-wide-receiver-prospects/

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ronnie's Pinky said:

Kyle seems to have learned his lesson from Pettis: doesn't matter how well a guy moves if he's soft. Aiyuk is raw, but Kyle clearly thinks he can train the kid on the nuances of the position. One thing I'll say about Aiyuk...I don't believe the "unofficial" 4.5 posted speed number for him. The 40" vertical is more indicative of the explosiveness he shows on tape, where he looks like somewhere in the 4.3s kinda fast.

My guess is that if it's true Aiyuk wouldn't have made it to the end of the 1st round, it's because NFL evaluators were wise to the fact that Aiyuk's speed is legit. Here's an article which suggests much the same - that Aiyuk's playing speed is greater than the 40 time we have for him: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2020-nfl-draft-evaluating-on-field-speed-for-henry-ruggs-and-other-top-wide-receiver-prospects/

I agree with the bold. Watching his film, he plays very fast. 4.5 is Deebo and Pettis speed. Aiyuk looks much faster than both of those guys. 

2 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Well Harry has been awful so far. 

He's been hurt...there's a difference. Injuries will stifle a rookie more than anything. Look at Kittle's rookie year. Then jump to his second year after he had a whole off-season to absorb the playbook, while working on his body so he could make through a greuling NFL season. I think that's all Harry really needs.

And that McDainels offense is a sight-adjustment offense. It takes some WRs time to get acclimated to adjusting routes on the fly....especially a rookie. I think if Harry ended up here and didn't get hurt, he would have been a very productive rookie.

Kyle said in his interview yesterday that he evaluates tape of the "top receivers" without really knowing much about them, their stats, or where they're projected to go, exactly. He said he watched tape of Aiyuk, and liked him the best of the receivers coming out this year. I believe Kyle is being truthful here; it explains the FO's actions. Trading up from #31 to #25 is the move you make when you feel you've waited long enough on a guy who you think you're stealing in the late 1st round, anyway. Kyle trusts his own evaluations of wide receivers 100%. That doesn't mean he's infallible, his picks are immune to injury, or anything of the sort, but the guy believes in himself as a talent evaluator at that position.

I guess we're gonna find out some more this year how much his faith in himself is well-founded. Jalen Hurd's return from injury will tell us as much as Aiyuk's rookie campaign about whether or not Kyle's got it when it comes to wide receivers.

• Like 1