1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Giving your back-up extremely valuable snaps in practice without an acute need to do so is not a luxury teams can afford, unfortunately.

But they might need to do that to further his development so the need is there.  Rodgers in the first 3 years did get some reps with the first team each week because Favre used to get "arm soreness or overuse" occasionally so they wanted to rest him a little.  So Rodgers did get some first team reps.  Plus Rodgers knows this offense.  To get a series or two would not be a bad thing.  Some other teams do this.  Luckily Love will all first team reps this week as Rodgers is out until Saturday.

Rogers is the one that has said previously he may want to play elsewhere next year.  Gotta do what you gotta do as a team.

6 minutes ago, minnypackerfan said:

But they might need to do that to further his development so the need is there.  Rodgers in the first 3 years did get some reps with the first team each week because Favre used to get "arm soreness or overuse" occasionally so they wanted to rest him a little.  So Rodgers did get some first team reps.  Plus Rodgers knows this offense.  To get a series or two would not be a bad thing.  Some other teams do this.  Luckily Love will all first team reps this week as Rodgers is out until Saturday.

Rogers is the one that has said previously he may want to play elsewhere next year.  Gotta do what you gotta do as a team.

Those aren't "acute" needs. If Rodgers genuinely needs rest, then absolutely. If he doesn't, then he should continue to get the practice reps. Margins are so so small when fighting for a SB.

28 minutes ago, HeresAGuy said:

And it’s been a case study of what not to do 

Not really. NE wasn’t going to win last or this year with him. They got their QB and if he works out they did the right thing. Idk why Brady’s success on a far more talented team has anything to do with NE making the right or wrong decision.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Agreed. Letting Rodgers leave with no compensation would be dumb.

Exactly. I don’t think Gute is that dumb, though. You could make the case Tom earned his release and that Aaron has too if that’s the direction he wants to go. I would make the case that it’s strictly business at that point. 

NE had their tear down year and paid stupid dead money to the cap last year. They don’t look to be in a bad position this year and BB got to spend like a drunken sailor in a year half the league was over their cap. It seems they have a QB, as well. Would not be a bad position to be in on 2023

• Like 1

Somebody on Twitter -  Ok well name another quarterback in recent years who wasn't very good for 2-3 years then became great? Rodgers is a total anomaly, I wish people wouldn't use his career path as a comparison for anything.

• Ross Uglem -   Josh Allen.
  • Ross Uglem -   Ryan Tannehill depending on your definition of great.

• Ross Uglem -  Even the year three through six outcome for a guy like Sam Bradford would be a positive outcome for a guy taken in the mid 20s at QB.

Edited by Leader

I only saw the first half, not the second.  He threw some really inaccurate balls.  And he was slow in some recognition.  Some of his most productive plays, stats-wise, were on some faulty balls.  In the 2-minute drill, he had a big completion on which Cobb made a terrific contested catch.  But Cobb had been wide open for a while, and the ball didn't get to him until the defense had time to close.  Dillon had a nice little up-the-middle pass at the line of scrimmage, but the throw was down at Dillon's knees.  Not sure a decent throw would have gained any more yards, but it was poor accuracy.  Had a couple of sidelines passes, one on one of those line-of-scrimmage throws, that were way overboard.  And in the 2-minute drill, made a poor throw at the ankles for somebody (Cobb?) open for 1 yard, diving catch for one yard, clocks ticks, wasted a time out.  Then wasted another time out without getting the ball snapped.  

Sounds like 2nd half was better.  Who knows what the future will hold.  Accuracy might change totally with some reps and settling in, I guess.  Decision-making and field-recognition might speed up too.  

But who knows?  Every inaccurate veteran was an inaccurate inexperience young QB once.  Being young doesn't guarantee that will be resolved later, who knows?  Likewise every mediocre vet backup who just never had the quickness to read the field fast enough, those guys were all young prospects once, too.  Experience didn't always give them the quickness of recognition/reaction that the good ones have.  

This game certainly does not prove that Love will never be able to be the primary QB on a playoff team, way too soon.  But certainly it doesn't prove that he'll be a good starter, either.  

• Like 1

Love's accuracy (or lack of) is a pretty big concern for me.  The recognition needs to speed up, but to me that is a given for a young QB making their first start.  If Love had been more accurate with even half of his off target throws from yesterday, this conversation today would be very different. 

Love had a pretty normal day for a young QB in his first start.  Away game, loud stadium, everything going on with Rodgers; none of this is a recipe for a success.  Rough first half, didn't handle pressure well and struggled to put the ball on the money, but at the end of the day he did enough right that you have something to build off of going forward.  That's about all you could realistically hope for given everything surrounding the game itself.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Love's accuracy (or lack of) is a pretty big concern for me.  The recognition needs to speed up, but to me that is a given for a young QB making their first start.  If Love had been more accurate with even half of his off target throws from yesterday, this conversation today would be very different. 

Yeah .. he missed way too many easy throws.  His accuracy has always been a bit of a knock.  I'm not sure it will ever be ideal.  You'd think it could be improved, but by how much?

I’m listening to the ‘ head of pack ‘ podcasts and both hosts say that if Aaron is gone than Davante is gone. And I just find that absurd . 

It’s unlikely Adams gets the deal he wants  but GB would be foolish not to tag him for next year. If they make the bold move of moving on from Aaron then they’re going to give Jordan every chance to succeed and that means Davante. They’ll have money with Aaron gone and it’s one year. 

Normally these guys are really good but this take took me for a loop

So....I haven't read all the expert analysis on here concerning Love.  Here is just my opinion.

I.  Am.  Spoiled.  Rodgers and Favre have done this to me.  Even though they weren't all-world right away, there were glimpses of greatness.

There were no such glimpses against the Chiefs with Love.

Love looked like he was a step slow reading everything.  When a WR comes out of the break, the ball needs to be there on his first or second step.  Not 5 of 6 steps out of the break, as was customary with Love.

He didn't read the blitz well.

But, what did do is show good pocket presence and good, young legs.

Arm came around some.

But, I'm spoiled concerning QB play.  And I thought Love would do better than he did.  If I had to grade him, it would be a D+.  He ain't ready for Prime Time....yet.  But there is still hope for his future development as he didn't pull a Fields out there either.

• Like 1