1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

14 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

You don't move on from a QB playing as well as Aaron is, period. Love was drafted to replace the QB who started the two years prior to his selection, not the QB we have now. There's no reason Rodgers can't play into his 40s, he's had no major operations like Manning and his neck or Brees and the labrum/rotator cuff.

I'm someone who is on board with the Love pick, even if he never plays for us, for the very same reason I want Rodgers to stay. Need an elite QB to win. Rodgers was far from it, but LaFleur saved him, no sense getting rid of a sure thing for an unknown.

It’s not that simple . 

If they don’t get it done this year, they’re probably not going to with this squad.  

He’s going to be 38 in December. How many more years does he have left ? Tom Brady is the anomaly. Most QBs aren’t playing elite ball into their 40s. We’ll also get no value for him. Trade him this year , they’re probably getting two premium picks. Maybe a premium player. That’s nothing to scoff at. 

Im not a salary cap guy but I can’t imagine signing him to another big money deal and also Davante would make it easy to sign other big money contracts coming soon . I generally believe in the cap strategists but I think it would be very tough resigning all our priorities .  

Let’s also bring up Aaron’s ‘issues’ you give him a new contract, get rid of Love and he has all the leverage . What’s he going to do with that? I’m sorry, I don’t put it past him to do something completely selfish . 

What are we going to do at QB? We got lucky a player like Love fell. Let’s not take for granted how difficult it is to find a QB, especially when you’re not drafting high. 

The only way you don’t move on from Aaron is if they believe Love can’t play; if he’s not progressing fast enough and you’re less confident he can be an NFL QB, move on. Jordan Love is the type of QB I’d be happy taking a gamble on everyday. If he goes out and fails, I’m not going to fault them.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

It’s not that simple . 

If they don’t get it done this year, they’re probably not going to with this squad.  

He’s going to be 38 in December. How many more years does he have left ? Tom Brady is the anomaly. Most QBs aren’t playing elite ball into their 40s. We’ll also get no value for him. Trade him this year , they’re probably getting two premium picks. Maybe a premium player. That’s nothing to scoff at. 

Im not a salary cap guy but I can’t imagine signing him to another big money deal and also Davante would make it easy to sign other big money contracts coming soon . I generally believe in the cap strategists but I think it would be very tough resigning all our priorities .  

Let’s also bring up Aaron’s ‘issues’ you give him a new contract, get rid of Love and he has all the leverage . What’s he going to do with that? I’m sorry, I don’t put it past him to do something completely selfish . 

What are we going to do at QB? We got lucky a player like Love fell. Let’s not take for granted how difficult it is to find a QB, especially when you’re not drafting high. 

The only way you don’t move on from Aaron is if they believe Love can’t play; if he’s not progressing fast enough and you’re less confident he can be an NFL QB, move on. Jordan Love is the type of QB I’d be happy taking a gamble on everyday. If he goes out and fails, I’m not going to fault them.  

Again its not that simple.

If you have a high end QB you are probably contending. If you don't you probably aren't.   Two high end draft picks are nice, another premium player is nice but ultimately if your QB isn't good enough, its pretty much irrelevant unless you are using those picks on another QB.

If you commit to Love and he isn't good enough,  it probably costs you your job. You say we are lucky Love fell- at the moment he still looks like a project. He showed some potential but at the moment its very much a punt.

Its difficult because we may have burnt our bridges cap wise to keep Rodgers but if he is playing well and wants to stay you have to see if you can make it work.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

Again its not that simple.

If you have a high end QB you are probably contending. If you don't you probably aren't.   Two high end draft picks are nice, another premium player is nice but ultimately if your QB isn't good enough, its pretty much irrelevant unless you are using those picks on another QB.

If you commit to Love and he isn't good enough,  it probably costs you your job. You say we are lucky Love fell- at the moment he still looks like a project. He showed some potential but at the moment its very much a punt.

Its difficult because we may have burnt our bridges cap wise to keep Rodgers but if he is playing well and wants to stay you have to see if you can make it work.

Right , which is why I said it’s more dependent on Love’s progression. You make it seem like we HAVE to keep him and we don’t . It’s dependent on Love. 

I think you’re implying if we retain Rodgers it’ll be hard cap wise ? Which I agree with. So if they don’t get it done this year ( as well as two years prior)how  are we going to get it done next year with a lesser team? 

Let’s not act like Rodgers is playing great, he’s not. He’s playing good ball , but idt we’ve seen dominant ball from him. 

Sorry, Gute and MLF have bought a lot of good will. If Love stinks, they’ll still be here. This isn’t Cleveland.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Sorry, Gute and MLF have bought a lot of good will. If Love stinks, they’ll still be here. This isn’t Cleveland.

Also, if you assume GB will get at least 2 1s in trade, if Love completely flops in 2022, you'd have your own (probably high) pick and an extra first if you wanted to move up in 2023 and take a mulligan.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

Question will be, does Rodgers want to stay with a team thats gutted as bad as it will take to keep him?

Does he want to go back to Janis and Abbederis level WRs?

Its not just about coming back, its whats left if you do.

Amen to that. Ken Ingalls on twitter does good salary cap scenarios for the packers, and the level of cutting even if rodgers leaves will hurt. 

As weird as it sounds, he may not even want to hang around next year, it might not be the Packers's decision to make.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Also, if you assume GB will get at least 2 1s in trade, if Love completely flops in 2022, you'd have your own (probably high) pick and an extra first if you wanted to move up in 2023 and take a mulligan.

I never thought about that, and I always think it’s a great idea to stock pile picks to get your QB. 

12 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I have no idea what to expect for Rodgers trade value, but I absolutely think this is his last season as a Packer.  If Love works out in 2022, that's great.  If not, I sure hope he's bad enough to allow the team to draft his replacement in 2023.

If the assumption is true and we get a boatload of draft capital for Rodgers you may want to grab another QB in round 2 perhaps. I think there are some developmental guys who could be available in round 2 this year. Certainly not a draft class of QB's who are go to early in round 1. Unless teams are that desperate they start drafting Rex Grossman type guys in the top 10. 

9 hours ago, beekay414 said:

We give Aaron all the leverage, it's not going to end well. Don't say I didn't tell you so.

And that may be the case, but you aren't walking into the 2022 season with a lameduck Aaron Rodgers.  Either he's extended or he's traded.

• Like 3