1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

18 hours ago, Lodestar said:

Watching some Love clips and this play is really exciting (7:21 if the video doesn't load properly). The receiver drops it, but damn. Kid makes a lot of plays.

That’s a Rodgers/Mahomes level pass. There’s plenty of talent to be excited about. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

For those that hated the Love pick, just think about Chicago for a while...............and how long it has been since they had a decent QB. 

Love may or may not be the answer post-Rodgers, but props to the Packers for taking succession seriously - they would never pony up a first round pick unless they ARE serious about life after Rodgers. If you think you see the successor to Rodgers you get him, everything else be damned (and that includes getting him a year or even two years early). What the Packers paid out for Love (in draft capital) was a puny price if he succeeds, and a hefty price if he fails. That's the value of decent QBs for you.

I wasn't a great fan of Love on draft day (along with so many others I was looking at upgrading the DL, WR, RT, ILB). However, I said even before Love was drafted, that if the Packers saw who they thought was the future at QB, they should get him above all else. Having learned more about Love since, I have warmed to him a good deal - I am feeling good about that pick now. Chances are that Love fails, given the odds of drafting a successful QB in the second half of round one, but maybe, just maybe, he beats the odds and gives the Packers a third good starting QB in a row. At the very least, he will have time (probably two years) behind a QB whose greatest strength is Loves biggest weakness, interceptions (or what could have been interceptions).

It's going to be interesting to see how Love progresses.  I've watched tons of games now on Youtube and I'm not really sure what to expect.  I'd say he has all the physical skills, except for a maybe a little hitch in his throwing motion.  I'm not even sure they will try to fix that, or if it needs fixing .. just something that looks a little off to me.  Decision making and accuracy will be the biggest question marks.  He needs a few years to hone his craft and that's what he will get.  If he shows that he has the goods he's probably starting for us in 2022, and we will have two cheap years and a third at a potential bargain rate to really make some noise.  

I don’t think this is mentioned much, but I cannot wait to see what MLF does with this kid. LaFleur has gotten the best out of a lot of guys he’s worked with (Kizer, RG3, Ryan, Goff) arguably Mariotta while being there one or two years. He’s very likely to have two years with Love, before Love is ‘ the guy’. I think that’s very significant. I trust MLF a lot with QBs and  with two years of studying with J Love, I’m confident he’ll get the most out of him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I don’t think this is mentioned much, but I cannot wait to see what MLF does with this kid. LaFleur has gotten the best out of a lot of guys he’s worked with (Kizer, RG3, Ryan, Goff) arguably Mariotta while being there one or two years. He’s very likely to have two years with Love, before Love is ‘ the guy’. I think that’s very significant. I trust MLF a lot with QBs and  with two years of studying with J Love, I’m confident he’ll get the most out of him. 

I feel the same way. I'll love Rodgers till the day I die, but I'm excited to see how a talented blank canvas like Love can develop in LaFleur's system.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lodestar said:

I feel the same way. I'll love Rodgers till the day I die, but I'm excited to see how a talented blank canvas like Love can develop in LaFleur's system.

My feelings are the same. I want Aaron to win one more with us so badly . It’s impossible for me not to want to see Love though. I think his talent has been severely understated , and his negatives are blown out of proportion. I don’t see a guy with ‘ decision making problems ‘. I see a guy who had to make plays in tough situations to win games. Sometimes you’re going to hit, sometimes you’re not. If he didn’t lose 90% of his offense from the previous year or was on a team with D1 talent he’d be a top 10 pick in many drafts. Watching his tape, he makes more NFL throws than many of the QB prospects . 

• 3 months later...