1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

20 minutes ago, mtsportsfan1 said:

I understand and know he's done nothing, was hoping maybe a packer insiders might have some info on how he looks in practice. 

Nah, not this year. Between all nonessential personnel being kept out of the building cause of Covid, forced sequestration of staff and players from going out, and enhanced restrictions on media reporting by the team, nobody's heard ****.

Initially, we heard that "there's a lot to clean up" which shouldn't surprise anyone given his particular weaknesses coming into this draft. Sources are leaking that it still isn't going all too well either. 

I still stick by my stance that trading up and drafting him was a really dumb move, but given how Rodgers is playing at the moment and if Rodgers is still playing at this level in two years do we develop Jordan Love to a point where we give him a start a la Matt Flynn with a year left on his contract and  and if he throws for 300 with a pair of TD's do we dangle him as trade bait?

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Initially, we heard that "there's a lot to clean up" which shouldn't surprise anyone given his particular weaknesses coming into this draft. Sources are leaking that it still isn't going all too well either. 

I still stick by my stance that trading up and drafting him was a really dumb move, but given how Rodgers is playing at the moment and if Rodgers is still playing at this level in two years do we develop Jordan Love to a point where we give him a start a la Matt Flynn with a year left on his contract and  and if he throws for 300 with a pair of TD's do we dangle him as trade bait?

What sources? You keep saying this but you don't provide anything lol.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, beekay414 said:

What sources? You keep saying this but you don't provide anything lol.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/08/28/jordan-love-is-struggling-why-it-matters-and-why-it-really-doesnt/

There are a couple articles from questionable sites from about a month ago where Aaron felt he was "doing very well" but Colin Cowherd and a few others on FS1 and ESPN have briefly mentioned otherwise and it's been fairly consistent. I know he's your guy and you think he's a world beater, but he's still QB3 on the roster and if he's really the heir apparent, he would've seen the field at least once by now and he hasn't. FWIW, Bill Belichick gave a fair amount of playing time to Jarrett Stidham when the game hadn't exactly been won last year and Stidham played poorly enough for Bill to take a shot on an aging Cam Newton.

Again: Love played in a non-power 5 conference in which he was essentially a one-year wonder and proved last year that he can't carry a team with lesser talent the way Aaron has shown in the past both in college and the pros. The evidence is there so that's my story and I'm sticking to it...

7 minutes ago, Joe said:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/08/28/jordan-love-is-struggling-why-it-matters-and-why-it-really-doesnt/

There are a couple articles from questionable sites from about a month ago where Aaron felt he was "doing very well" but Colin Cowherd and a few others on FS1 and ESPN have briefly mentioned otherwise and it's been fairly consistent. I know he's your guy and you think he's a world beater, but he's still QB3 on the roster and if he's really the heir apparent, he would've seen the field at least once by now and he hasn't. FWIW, Bill Belichick gave a fair amount of playing time to Jarrett Stidham when the game hadn't exactly been won last year and Stidham played poorly enough for Bill to take a shot on an aging Cam Newton.

Again: Love played in a non-power 5 conference in which he was essentially a one-year wonder and proved last year that he can't carry a team with lesser talent the way Aaron has shown in the past both in college and the pros. The evidence is there so that's my story and I'm sticking to it...

So the source is Colin Cowherd and some other talking heads trying to generate ratings?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Joe said:

lol that's not "sources." 

Everyone knew Love was going to be a project. That's why he fell to 26. We also had no preseason, where he would've gotten game reps. Tim Boyle is a good back-up and we're not going to carry 3 QBs on the gameday roster. Talk about reaching. 

I've said this 1000 times already but QBs that lose their OC, top 4 receivers (3 WR and 1 TE) and their top 2 RBs, don't come out unscathed. Just look how terrible Utah State is right now. They are 0-3 and have scored a combined 29 points in 3 games. Their QB hasn't even broken 100 yards passing in a game yet FFS. 20 year old Aaron Rodgers wouldn't have carried that team. Tim Tebow wouldn't have carried that team. I'm sorry that you have asinine reasoning for why you don't think he "has it" but it's not even remotely the truth. I've watched the tape, I've seen the tools. You can't teach that and you can't NOT factor in situation. He didn't just fluke into a dynamic season. That doesn't happen at QB.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, squire12 said:

So the source is Colin Cowherd and some other talking heads trying to generate ratings?

There is conflicting evidence:

-Love didn't outright take the #2 job in camp which the talking heads ripped (like Cowherd, which is really funny since he was all in on Love pre draft).

-AR said in an interview a month ago Love was doing well on Macafee, since then nothing has really been discussed.

What is likely the case is that the Packers think Boyle is a better in the film room right now sitting next to AR getting him ready for game week. We've seen teams hold onto backup QBs that can't play because they work well the start (in GB/Indy we saw this with Tolzien, Minny has Shawn Mannion). If AR had a season ender, I think we'd likely role with Love.

8 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

There is conflicting evidence:

-Love didn't outright take the #2 job in camp which the talking heads ripped (like Cowherd, which is really funny since he was all in on Love pre draft).

-AR said in an interview a month ago Love was doing well on Macafee, since then nothing has really been discussed.

What is likely the case is that the Packers think Boyle is a better in the film room right now sitting next to AR getting him ready for game week. We've seen teams hold onto backup QBs that can't play because they work well the start (in GB/Indy we saw this with Tolzien, Minny has Shawn Mannion). If AR had a season ender, I think we'd likely role with Love.

The narrative that Love is struggling because he is not the #2 is ridiculous.  No OTA, no preseason games, limited training camp for a rookie to supplant a QB that has been in the system.  GB has need the active roster spots on gameday for other positions due to injuries at

WR:  Adams and Lazard have been out for multiple games
RB:  with Jones and Ervin out
OL:  Bahktiari, Wagner out
DL:  Clark being out several games, Adams being on the injury report
ILB:  Kirksey, Martin being on IR for parts of the season
CB:  King being out several weeks

Roster spots are still precious and having 3 QB active on gameday is pretty rare.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Looks like SF may be looking for a QB next season.  Wonder what they'd give up for Rodgers, and how much GB nation would implode if Gute sent Rodgers to SF (no matter what the return was)

The dead cap alone makes this very unlikely. His pre-June dead cap is $31.56 Million. I'm not sure how it all works when it comes to trades but, even post June, it's still $14+ Million for a few years if we deal him.