1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

2 minutes ago, Donzo said:

That's a good spin, yet not apt at all.

The Packers were a good team in 2019 with a good record and the same is true this year; yet, they are a very flawed team. They were vulnerable, and still are, to getting runover by physical teams. To help fix that they needed upgrades on the DL, ILB & WR.

The team was fortunate to get a talent upgrade at ILB with a 5th rounder & undrafted RFA. Gute almost completely ignored the other needs to the detriment of this years team and parlayed the 1st, 2nd & 4th round picks on developmental replacement players at QB & RB... So, the Packers remain an incomplete good team. Just the way it is.

The team still has hope. Rodgers has to be in Godgers mode and need some favorable matchups... We'll see.

You're just not being truthful, Robin. Gute brought in vets to shore up the ILB an WR room while relying on the D&D philisophy to fill out the depth of the rooms. 

Rodgers doesnt always have to be in Godgers mode, because we have a RB room that produces, thanks to the offseason moves made to win this year.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

You're just not being truthful, Robin. Gute brought in vets to shore up the ILB an WR room while relying on the D&D philisophy to fill out the depth of the rooms. 

Rodgers doesnt always have to be in Godgers mode, because we have a RB room that produces, thanks to the offseason moves made to win this year.

Shees, I really got to ya. I'm living rent free between your ears... Just quit making stuff up & you'll be OK; and, learning how to spell philosophy would nice, too- just funnin' ya 😂

I'll go along with ya here: Holly stupid, Batman (FYI, you're not Batman, you're the "stupid" one)... As I clearly stated the team needed a "talent upgrade" on the DL, ILB & WR. Gute clearly brought in replacement vets at ILB & WR, but there was no "talent upgrade".

The move at ILB was actually pretty bad. He replaced a player who's always available with a player that's never available, and of course that's how it's playing out this year. Again, thank goodness for the fortunate "upgraded talent" with the hits in 5th round and rookie free agency... I kind a had some hope with the replacement player at WR if the Packers were getting the 2017 version of that player. Same theme here though. The replacement player hasn't been available much recently and of course is unavailable this year... Yet another complete miss.

Your ramblings about the RB room are pretty silly. The RB room produced a lot on last years flawed team. So, your rant about offseason moves made to win this year is another whiff.

OK, have fun with this nonsense. I imagine this type of thing is a fun Saturday for you- enjoy!

15 hours ago, Donzo said:

The Packers were a good team in 2019 with a good record and the same is true this year; yet, they are a very flawed team. They were vulnerable, and still are, to getting runover by physical teams. To help fix that they needed upgrades on the DL, ILB & WR.

The team was fortunate to get a talent upgrade at ILB with a 5th rounder & undrafted RFA. Gute almost completely ignored the other needs to the detriment of this years team and parlayed the 1st, 2nd & 4th round picks on developmental replacement players at QB & RB... So, the Packers remain an incomplete good team. Just the way it is.

The team still has hope. Rodgers has to be in Godgers mode and need some favorable matchups... We'll see.

Ooo, let's name all the teams without flaws in the league! You start! 

• Like 2

Lol @Donzoyour expectations are way too high. You are looking too closely at the Packers in a bubble. There weren't many other ILB or WR, and very few DL, on the market period, and serviceable vets on solid value contracts are easily the best way to use FA. The swap at ILB was a smart move. Kirksey's contract isn't as bad as Martinez new deal and both are mid level guys. WR and DL would have been nice in the draft, but at every point the Packers came on the clock in the draft, either would have been a significant reach. BTW, how much better would the WR group look with Funchess? We probably wouldn't be sweating it right now.

These are pretty minor nitpicky holes on an NFL level. EVERY team has holes like that at SOME position group. The trade off is GB is strong at other position groups. OL, RB, DB are all strong plus marks. The only place I'm concerned is the DL, but even there that's a common weakness around the league.

• Like 1

Gute's lack of attention toward shoring up the weaknesses on the team is a valid complaint.  The GB run defense is not a minor nitpicky hole.  It was a major reason GB was booted from the playoffs last season, and seems likely to be a major issue again this season.  Making no attempt to address that particular problem after last season still seems bizarre. For a team that was one win from a SB berth with some pretty obvious holes on the roster, coming out of RD1-RD4 with Love, Dillon and Deguara looked bad when it happened.  It looks even worse now.  Fans continuing to mention Funchess as if he somehow represents a major addition at WR is a continuing source of amusement.  The impact of what Funchess would have added to the offense only seems to be eclipsed by what will be added by ESB... some day.

Edited by Mazrimiv

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Gute's lack of attention toward shoring up the weaknesses on the team is a valid complaint.  The GB run defense is not a minor nitpicky hole.  It was a major reason GB was booted from the playoffs last season, and seems likely to be a major issue again this season.  Making no attempt to address that particular problem after last season still seems bizarre. For a team that was one win from a SB berth with some pretty obvious holes on the roster, coming out of RD1-RD4 with Love, Dillon and Deguara looked bad when it happened.  It looks even worse now.  Fans continuing to mention Funchess as if he somehow represents a major addition at WR is a continuing source of amusement.  The impact of what Funchess would have added to the offense only seems to be eclipsed by what will be added by ESB... some day.

I feel like going into the season with Adams entrenched as #1, Funchess #2 (but sliding to 3 after Lazard emerges), and MVS as your #4/big-play guy....well, I think that's a decent to very good WR corps. But Funchess opted out, Lazard got hurt, and MVS is playing like a #4/big-play option but is the #2 right now. 

It goes back to the usual "name the team that IS prepared to lose the 2 and 3 WRs for most of the season." And you get the Rams, and that's about it. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/21/2020 at 3:25 PM, Donzo said:

I just want to see how this has aged.  Not being critical of, or slighting Donzo.  It's just me being curious.

Don't care about the first sentence.

Second paragraph.  13-3 or 14-4 is a great record, not good.  And that is true this year, too.  Yah just don't luck into that many wins.  I thought at one time that they did luck into those wins last year, but I was wrong.  We are a great team.

Second paragraph.  Flawed and and can get run over by physical teams.  Flawed?  Yes.  Our specials are terrible.  Our DC holds the defense back.  Maybe the Titans game showed that we can man up against physical teams and take it to them.  Personally, that game did not erase the taste of the 49ers from my mouth, but it did erase some of it.

Upgrades.  DL, Keke graded out very good.  Clark is turning it on.  Did add Snacks, and that will help.  ILB.  Barnes is actually quite good.  Kirksey is playing better in a new position.  Martin still has potential.  WR.  ESB has made a few key grabs.  MVS is still MVS.  Not sure you can complain about WR's when the team is first in TD scoring in the red zone and #1 in overall offense.

Not sure what the point was concerning the third paragraph.  I'll chalk it up to someone not liking the Gute draft.

Last line.  Nailed it.  He's gone full Godgers mode.  Let's hope it lasts.  Not sure there are any "favorable" matchups in the playoffs, but time will tell.