1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

I'm not going to be sarcastic: if Rodgers is playing in 2022 as well as he is now, Jordan Love will be traded. It'll be Jimmy G all over and just like Jimmy G, he will go to a new team and underwhelm....

(Oh, but he's excelling with the net drill now, yeah so has Andy Dalton; your point?)

....just hoping we have a better succession plan at QB in place for after we trade Jordan Love because Rodgers doesn't look like he's slowing down anytime soon and we all know how the Brady - Belichick divorce has gone so far...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe said:

I'm not going to be sarcastic: if Rodgers is playing in 2022 as well as he is now, Jordan Love will be traded. It'll be Jimmy G all over and just like Jimmy G, he will go to a new team and underwhelm....

(Oh, but he's excelling with the net drill now, yeah so has Andy Dalton; your point?)

....just hoping we have a better succession plan at QB in place for after we trade Jordan Love because Rodgers doesn't look like he's slowing down anytime soon and we all know how the Brady - Belichick divorce has gone so far...

I think everyone kinda thinks after this year Rodgers might stick longer than we thought. But as far as Love goes, we haven't seen what this kid can do in a game yet, so I would just pump the brakes saying he is not a great successor to Rodgers. Honestly at this point I just hope he turns into a Quality backup for Aaron, but we'll see what happens in 2-3 years.

• Like 2

I still believe in Love as much as I did prior to our drafting him. I'm grateful that Rodgers has returned to form but he's still 37 years old. As was said prior to drafting Love, the worst time to draft a QB is when you need a QB. It's always better to be ahead of the curve than behind it. Always.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joe said:

I see no problem, if he doesn't play a snap, with offering him back up money. 

Hopefully he underwhelms on the Bears.

I don't see this year as fundamentally changing anything. Rodgers will be the Packers QB in 2021 and if Love looks like he's ready in 2022-23 it will be time to make the switch. The only difference is how much can you get for Rodgers? If he has 2 back to back MVP caliber seasons, probably quite a lot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spilltray said:

I don't see this year as fundamentally changing anything. Rodgers will be the Packers QB in 2021 and if Love looks like he's ready in 2022-23 it will be time to make the switch. The only difference is how much can you get for Rodgers? If he has 2 back to back MVP caliber seasons, probably quite a lot.

Not sure i agree. Going into this season, the way i viewed the qb situation was Rodgers needing to significantly improve if the team was going to feel good about taking the remainder of his contract, mostly after the 2021 season. In other words, if we got 2019 Rodgers through the 2021 season then i thought it likely that Love would be our starter. This year changes that. Whereas before i viewed Love as the guy if Rodgers remained the same, now Rodgers needs to significantly decline if Love is to be the guy.  If Rodgers plays anywhere near his 2020 form in 2021, i find it extremely unlikely that he wouldnt be our starter in 2022. Even if Love looks amazing in practice, i really doubt we would move on from an amazing Rodgers.

Following the 2022 season is where things get interesting. Packers will need to exercise or decline Love’s 5th year option, and Rodgers will be entering the final year of his contract, which in 2023 will be relatively low for a franchise QB i imagine.  Until then, Love obviously needs to develop. Even if he does, it will take a significant Rodgers decline for Love to become the starter.

1 hour ago, snackattack said:

Not sure i agree. Going into this season, the way i viewed the qb situation was Rodgers needing to significantly improve if the team was going to feel good about taking the remainder of his contract, mostly after the 2021 season. In other words, if we got 2019 Rodgers through the 2021 season then i thought it likely that Love would be our starter. This year changes that. Whereas before i viewed Love as the guy if Rodgers remained the same, now Rodgers needs to significantly decline if Love is to be the guy.  If Rodgers plays anywhere near his 2020 form in 2021, i find it extremely unlikely that he wouldnt be our starter in 2022. Even if Love looks amazing in practice, i really doubt we would move on from an amazing Rodgers.

Following the 2022 season is where things get interesting. Packers will need to exercise or decline Love’s 5th year option, and Rodgers will be entering the final year of his contract, which in 2023 will be relatively low for a franchise QB i imagine.  Until then, Love obviously needs to develop. Even if he does, it will take a significant Rodgers decline for Love to become the starter.

If Love doesn't end up playing in his first 3 years, his 5th year option should be manageable. The new CBA made it really complicated, but my understanding is:

First-round picks will receive a base salary equal to the cap percentage average of the transition tag for the player’s position in his fourth season but using the appropriate third- through 25th-highest PYS if they have not been selected to the Pro Bowl on the original ballot and did not (a) partake in at least 75 percent of his team’s offensive or defensive plays in two of his first three regular seasons or (b) play a cumulative average of 75 percent of his team’s offensive or defensive plays over the course of his first three regular seasons or (c) log at least 50 percent of his team’s offensive or defensive snaps in each of his first three regular seasons.

source: https://frontofficenfl.com/2020/06/04/2020-nfl-cba-explained-5th-year-option-in-rookie-contracts/#:~:text=The fifth-year option got,a non-negotiable fixed amount. 

I don't fully understand. I get the 3rd through 25th PYS (prior year salary) but don't understand how the transition tag works into that. Transition tag for QBs is approx $21m in 2021. 

Edited by JBURGE

It's seems likely enough that Rodgers will be playing at a very high level in 2021, and probably 2022 as well.  What happens if GB feels like they really have something with Love, but Rodgers is still playing like a top 5 QB?  If Love starts looking like the real deal in camp/pre-season as soon as next season, what's the longest Gute can wait to pull the trigger on the change?  I have to think pulling the trigger after 2022 is as long as they could wait.

If Love ends up looking like Hundley, problem solved.  I'll look forward to watching a 44 year old Rodgers dissect opposing defenses in the MLF offense.  Barring injury, I'm not seeing many reasons to think that couldn't happen.

7 hours ago, spilltray said:

You're going to make the switch if Rodgers is playing like this? If Gute did that, he should be fired before the ink is dry on the trade paperwork. That's laughable. Rodgers is untradeable right now. He was literally the best player in the NFL this year. Now if his play slips (which is what Gute was probably banking on) that's a way different story, but if 2022 Rodgers looks like 2020, he's not going anywhere. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I still believe in Love as much as I did prior to our drafting him. I'm grateful that Rodgers has returned to form but he's still 37 years old. As was said prior to drafting Love, the worst time to draft a QB is when you need a QB. It's always better to be ahead of the curve than behind it. Always.

It's a good problem to have. I guarantee you Rodgers' MVP year has surprised even Gute. I firmly believe if Rodgers had this year last year, Love isnt picked. This was about liking Love + seeing a regression in Rodgers they thought would continue or at least that he wouldn't return to this form. If Rodgers repeats with a similar year next year, the whole conversation about Love's future changes. 

7 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

You're going to make the switch if Rodgers is playing like this? If Gute did that, he should be fired before the ink is dry on the trade paperwork. That's laughable. Rodgers is untradeable right now. He was literally the best player in the NFL this year. Now if his play slips (which is what Gute was probably banking on) that's a way different story, but if 2022 Rodgers looks like 2020, he's not going anywhere. 

I mean, this is the Tom Brady vs. Jimmy G discussion a few years ago.  How many more years of elite Aaron Rodgers are the Packers (or another team) realistically going to get?  If you think he's going to play like a top 10 QB into his 40s, then you jettison Jordan Love and hope your QBOTF is out there.  But if you think his game is going to drop off at some point in the relatively near future, you ship Rodgers out to the highest bidder.  It's better to get rid of a player too soon then too late.

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

It's a good problem to have. I guarantee you Rodgers' MVP year has surprised even Gute. I firmly believe if Rodgers had this year last year, Love isnt picked. This was about liking Love + seeing a regression in Rodgers they thought would continue or at least that he wouldn't return to this form. If Rodgers repeats with a similar year next year, the whole conversation about Love's future changes. 

I would probably agree.  IF Rodgers played like the top 3 QB he is, Love probably doesn't even become a discussion.  But if he reverts back to pre-2020 Rodgers next year, the discussion is going to get louder about moving on from him.

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, this is the Tom Brady vs. Jimmy G discussion a few years ago.  How many more years of elite Aaron Rodgers are the Packers (or another team) realistically going to get?  If you think he's going to play like a top 10 QB into his 40s, then you jettison Jordan Love and hope your QBOTF is out there.  But if you think his game is going to drop off at some point in the relatively near future, you ship Rodgers out to the highest bidder.  It's better to get rid of a player too soon then too late.

You do what NE did. You trade the unproven guy and keep your HOF QB and milk him for everything he's got. Draft a new QB. Again, this all depends on how 12 looks the next 1-2 years after this MVP season. That will make the decision a pretty easy one either way.

6 hours ago, snackattack said:

They got rid of Favre after one of the best years of his career and a NFCCG, and it was the right move. If you think Love looks like he can be the guy, making the move and using the cap space and picks to stock the cupboards for the next 3-5 years, then it's a smart play no matter how much fans complain.

• Like 2