1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

1 hour ago, spilltray said:

They got rid of Favre after one of the best years of his career and a NFCCG, and it was the right move. If you think Love looks like he can be the guy, making the move and using the cap space and picks to stock the cupboards for the next 3-5 years, then it's a smart play no matter how much fans complain.

Yeah but favre also was doing the retirement hokie pokie.

• Like 3

If Rodgers is having another insane year in 2021, he will be our QB in 2022. Hell, even if Rodgers has just a great season instead of an MVP season and is healthy, he will be our QB in 2022.

This is just like the Patriots and Jimmy G. Brady was also 37-38 years old and still putting up great numbers and winning postseason games and of course Super Bowls after 2014 and 2016 seasons. We just need to get a Super Bowl or two to make the cipher complete.

And the Favre comparison doesn't make any sense cause HE RETIRED. If he didn't retire in March 2008, he would have been our starter in 2008. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, FAH1223 said:

If Rodgers is having another insane year in 2021, he will be our QB in 2022. Hell, even if Rodgers has just a great season instead of an MVP season and is healthy, he will be our QB in 2022.

This is just like the Patriots and Jimmy G. Brady was also 37-38 years old and still putting up great numbers and winning postseason games and of course Super Bowls after 2014 and 2016 seasons. We just need to get a Super Bowl or two to make the cipher complete.

And the Favre comparison doesn't make any sense cause HE RETIRED. If he didn't retire in March 2008, he would have been our starter in 2008. 

If he is playing like this in 2022, you even talk about an extension for Rodgers and reach mental acceptance of drafting another replacement

• Like 1

17 hours ago, spilltray said:

They got rid of Favre after one of the best years of his career and a NFCCG, and it was the right move. If you think Love looks like he can be the guy, making the move and using the cap space and picks to stock the cupboards for the next 3-5 years, then it's a smart play no matter how much fans complain.

Favre put GB in a very bad spot.  He basically dared them to move on, and they did.

I think the Favre thing plays out much. much differently had Favre been projecting "I'm playing until my arm falls off" rather than "I'm retiring... no, I want to play... no... I'm retiring... wait, I want to plat after all"

• Like 1

Another difference between Favre/Brady and Rodgers is that Rodgers played better this season than either of them were at this stage of their career.  Rodgers just had one of the best seasons any QB has EVER had.  That's not nothing.  If Rodgers stays anywhere near this neighborhood of effectiveness over the next couple seasons, Gute counts that as a blessing and starts looking for the next Love.

Edited by Mazrimiv
  • Like 1

The best case scenario i see is that Rodgers gets injured for 3-4 games next season and Love comes in and is electric. Swap him out for a couple firsts and ride Arod with new weapons to a couple more SBs before calling it a franchise for a couple years. Short of showing what he can do on thefield, i dont see how we get good ROI short of Arod falling apart in 2022 - even then not great

Edited by chucknorris101

14 minutes ago, chucknorris101 said:

The best case scenario i see is that Rodgers gets injured for 3-4 games next season and Love comes in and is electric. Swap him out for a couple firsts and ride Arod with new weapons to a couple more SBs before calling it a franchise for a couple years. Short of showing what he can do on thefield, i dont see how we get good ROI short of Arod falling apart in 2022 - even then not great

I'd say best case scenario would be what you have above, but it's Rodgers who gets traded and GB rides the Love train for the next 15 years.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, chucknorris101 said:

Why not.... Rodgers gets hurt for 3-4 games.  Love comes in and looks electric. 

GB wins another super bowl and you move Rodgers for a few picks and have a cheap top tier QB in London a rookie deal for 2 seasons + 5th year option.

Retain the franchise QB for another 15 years!!!

15 hours ago, Brad gluckman said:

Not to mention there were serious questions about his ability to play in the cold as he aged. He looked like he didnt even want to be at that NFCCG.

I broke it down once and in both 06 AND 07 he fell off a cliff in the the back half of the season. And in the '07 NFCCG and also a late-season game at Solider Field that was in miserable weather he looked like he wanted to be anywhere but on the field. 

So, if I was Thompson, I've got: 

- a home-field advantage dependent on playing the elements

- an aging QB who both fades late in the season AND obviously won't/can't perform in cold weather anymore

- a promising heir apparent waiting in the wings

- an aging QB who has been talking about retirement for 3 or so yrs already who JUST SAID HE HAS RETIRED

15 hours ago, spilltray said:

It's not really apple to oranges. Garrapalo is nice but Love has much better physical talents. Even then, I'm not 100% convinced that was the right choice.

Garropola has mostly been mediocre in SF. I don't know that they'd be appreciably better with him throwing to that awful group of WRs and TEs. 

I'm just saying had the Pats dealt Brady instead, I don't think the results would have been that different and they'd still have a qb + more resources for the rest of the roster. In just physical ability it's the difference between a first and fourth round prospect. Love has more tools and a higher ceiling. At some point the legs are going to go and that's going to have a huge negative impact on Rodgers game. It's better to make that move a year or two too early than too late.

• Like 1