1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

6 minutes ago, spilltray said:

I'm just saying had the Pats dealt Brady instead, I don't think the results would have been that different and they'd still have a qb + more resources for the rest of the roster. In just physical ability it's the difference between a first and fourth round prospect. Love has more tools and a higher ceiling. At some point the legs are going to go and that's going to have a huge negative impact on Rodgers game. It's better to make that move a year or two too early than too late.

I'm not sure that applies to a QB.  

With Rodgers on form we are a super bowl contender. Without him, there is no evidence we would be. There is no evidence to this point that Love can be an effective back-up let alone lead a playoff run. A year too soon may mean missing out on the chance to play for a championship.  A year too late and you have a bad year. Not the end of the world.

You have to play it year by year. Whilst Rodgers is a top 5 QB and is healthy it shouldn't be a discussion.

The ideal scenario is Aaron plays at a high level and then retires at the end of his contract. He's not an iron man and it doesn't seem a great idea for him to be playing into his 40s. It would save awkward decisions on trades or cuts. 

46 minutes ago, chucknorris101 said:

The best case scenario i see is that Rodgers gets injured for 3-4 games next season and Love comes in and is electric. Swap him out for a couple firsts and ride Arod with new weapons to a couple more SBs before calling it a franchise for a couple years. Short of showing what he can do on thefield, i dont see how we get good ROI short of Arod falling apart in 2022 - even then not great

Best case is we win the next 5 super bowls with Rodgers and Love signs an extension after his 5th year option. Rodgers retires happily and we have Love for 15 years and win 15 Super Bowls with him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

I'm not sure that applies to a QB.  

With Rodgers on form we are a super bowl contender. Without him, there is no evidence we would be. There is no evidence to this point that Love can be an effective back-up let alone lead a playoff run. A year too soon may mean missing out on the chance to play for a championship.  A year too late and you have a bad year. Not the end of the world.

You have to play it year by year. Whilst Rodgers is a top 5 QB and is healthy it shouldn't be a discussion.

The ideal scenario is Aaron plays at a high level and then retires at the end of his contract. He's not an iron man and it doesn't seem a great idea for him to be playing into his 40s. It would save awkward decisions on trades or cuts. 

You make that move only if by the end of 2021, you've seen enough from Love to believe he can be that next guy. They have to trust their eyes on that one. 

I believe it is a discussion because of the value Rodgers would carry. If Love looks ready then getting the cap space to load up on the roster around him plus what could be a significant haul in draft picks, then your team has a real shot to have a dominant 3-5 year window. You stick with Rodgers, maybe you stay at that level if he keeps up his insane level of play, but your position lives and dies on him maintaining that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, spilltray said:

You make that move only if by the end of 2021, you've seen enough from Love to believe he can be that next guy. They have to trust their eyes on that one. 

I believe it is a discussion because of the value Rodgers would carry. If Love looks ready then getting the cap space to load up on the roster around him plus what could be a significant haul in draft picks, then your team has a real shot to have a dominant 3-5 year window. You stick with Rodgers, maybe you stay at that level if he keeps up his insane level of play, but your position lives and dies on him maintaining that.

Agreed, and this is where the Jimmy G situation draws a comparison because Jimmy got starts and regular season live-action proving he was worthy of being a starter. I think we need to ask ourselves the question of: do we, at some point, stick Love out there next year when the game is in hand by halftime or at the end of the 3rd quarter? Belichick kind of did this with Stidham last year at various points in games in which the Patriots had at least a 10 point lead and Stidham underwhelmed. 

1 hour ago, spilltray said:

I'm just saying had the Pats dealt Brady instead, I don't think the results would have been that different and they'd still have a qb + more resources for the rest of the roster. In just physical ability it's the difference between a first and fourth round prospect. Love has more tools and a higher ceiling. At some point the legs are going to go and that's going to have a huge negative impact on Rodgers game. It's better to make that move a year or two too early than too late.

I probably need a better definition of what, "I don't think the results would have been that different" actually means.

Jimmy-G was traded to SF in Oct, 2017.  NE went to the next two SB's after the trade, winning one of them.  If you're saying NE would have done the same with Jimmy-G at QB, I disagree.  I don't think NE makes either of those SB's if they ship Brady out rather than Garoppolo.

I doubt very seriously that NE fans have any regrets about the Jimmy-G decision today.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

I probably need a better definition of what, "I don't think the results would have been that different" actually means.

Jimmy-G was traded to SF in Oct, 2017.  NE went to the next two SB's after the trade, winning one of them.  If you're saying NE would have done the same with Jimmy-G at QB, I disagree.  I don't think NE makes either of those SB's if they ship Brady out rather than Garoppolo.

I doubt very seriously that NE fans have any regrets about the Jimmy-G decision today.

None of my connections in RI or Boston have regrets about that decision; every last one of them thought shipping Brady would disrupt everything that the organization had accomplish, was accomplishing, and would accomplish at the time.

8 hours ago, spilltray said:

Not really, Rodgers isn't running around for his life and has been working in the pocket effectively. He gets the ball out the quickest of his career now. OL is keeping him upright.

And pre-emptively trading a Hall of Fame QB who just had one of the best seasons ever for a QB and will probably have a good season next year if healthy is dumb. If Rodgers is putting up another 30 TD plus and 5 INT season while throwing 4,000 yards, the job is his in 2022. 

Love isn't going to have a chance to play unless Aaron gets hurt. Its that simple. 

If you're so obsessed with salary cap space, you can work Aaron's contract out to lower that cap number. It's not rocket science. They're actually going to have to do it this offseason with a $195M cap and not having ANY room.

Edited by FAH1223

2 hours ago, Spartacus said:

I really hope we at least have a couple preseason games next year. I want to see him destroy UDFAs just to get way too excited for him to start. 

I can't wait to see him. This offense is so QB friendly that if he can show he's got the goods when it comes to accuracy he's almost assuredly going to have a chance to really good in this offense.  

Regarding Love and the future.  Don't really care.  He's insurance.  QB is the most important position in the league.  Our QB is aging, and was coming off of a few years where he was playing well below where he should have been playing.

That clearly is not the case now, and I think we can see that it shouldn't be the case moving forward.  But, if Father Time shows up or if Rodgers gets injured, it is nice knowing we have a kid with real talent behind him.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, mikebpackfan said:

Funny, the AFC has all the hot young QBs and the NFC has all the old dudes. 

ETA:  I’m sure I’m the first to point this out. 

I agree the NFC has the most well known older guys, like Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Stafford, Wilson, A.Smith.......but the AFC does have the Steelers Roethlisberger (2004), the Patriots Cam Newton (2005), the Colts Rivers (2004) and a little younger, the Titans Tannehill (2012).