1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

I mean, I actually feel for Love a little bit. As Rodgers said earlier this year, Love "didn't ask" to be put in this situation. He probably wants to play because the norm recently has been to play these young QBs right away or at least by year 2. Meanwhile, Love is stuck on a team behind a QB who just won the MVP this year. At this point, he has to pretty much feel like he's never getting chance anytime soon. 

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I mean, I actually feel for Love a little bit. As Rodgers said earlier this year, Love "didn't ask" to be put in this situation. He probably wants to play because the norm recently has been to play these young QBs right away or at least by year 2. Meanwhile, Love is stuck on a team behind a QB who just won the MVP this year. At this point, he has to pretty much feel like he's never getting chance anytime soon. 

You almost have to think Love's representation may seek out a timeline from the Packers at some point.  I have a hard time thinking this guy will be waiting until year four or five to get his chance.  Even waiting three years might be stretch.

15 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

You almost have to think Love's representation may seek out a timeline from the Packers at some point.  I have a hard time thinking this guy will be waiting until year four or five to get his chance.  Even waiting three years might be stretch.

Could be. Might not be though. Love is sort of unique. Kid isn't on social media like that. Seems to just go to work and keep to himself. 

If the team sucks, I think his reps would want a timeline but if we're in the postseason next couple years and 12 is still playing great, they don't really have any leverage to make demands. Love himself said of playing “I don’t make those calls; they do.”

And Love also has the enviable position of learning the nuances of the QB position by watching a Top 5 all time QB play the position (not stating where he is on that list).  The other first round picks don't have that luxury (and yes, most have competent QB teachers, but watching a highly successful one go about his business adds another element).  If anything, this is giving Love his best shot at hitting his ceiling, regardless of how high it is.

3 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Have we ever wanted to see preseason games more than we do for the opportunity to see Love get reps?  Prolly not since Rodgers was a young gun. 

Keep rhe top 10 earners on the sidelines for the ps games and play the backups and scrubs. More time for Love making touchdowns.

9 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Have we ever wanted to see preseason games more than we do for the opportunity to see Love get reps?  Prolly not since Rodgers was a young gun. 

Don't forget Brian Brohm who was supposed to be better than Rodgers and Favre heir apparent ;)

I thought Jordan did a good job in his interview there. Good to hear he's willing to be patient, learn from 12, and wait.

He won't be ready for awhile.  See him following the exact same trajectory as Rodgers.  Sits for 3 seasons.  Pandemic hurt his development.  Only way he is going to see the field is if he can actually beat out Rodgers.  If the Packers believe he's the better QB Rodgers will be traded.  Not until then.  

Couldn't beat out Boyle for #2 but will give him a pass on that.  No offseason work.  Just like everyone else dying to see the kid play.  OK that he sat all last year probably the best thing for him.  Next year it will be time to get some reps.

10 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Don't forget Brian Brohm who was supposed to be better than Rodgers and Favre heir apparent ;)

Brian Brohm flopping is more an indication of how hard it is to actually pick good players. The floor to Brohm, who was once looked at as being worthy of #1 overall, indicated at a Ryan Fitzpatrick/Nick Foles sort of career, i.e. good enough to be a low-level starter/high-level backup. The ceiling was a Brady/Brees  type - savvy and hardworking enough to overcome athletic limitations. 

Instead, he washed out. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Brian Brohm flopping is more an indication of how hard it is to actually pick good players. The floor to Brohm, who was once looked at as being worthy of #1 overall, indicated at a Ryan Fitzpatrick/Nick Foles sort of career, i.e. good enough to be a low-level starter/high-level backup. The ceiling was a Brady/Brees  type - savvy and hardworking enough to overcome athletic limitations. 

Instead, he washed out. 

He had a tissue issue as I recall.  Think that affected his arm.  More medical is the reason he washed. Horrible pick as it turns out.  Great college player.

• Like 1