1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

24 minutes ago, craig said:

When has there last been a 3rd-day pick who was traded for significant value?  Garappolo got value, but he was a 2nd-round guy.  Jacoby Brisset got traded for somebody who had some perceived possible value, but he was a 3rd-rounder.  Flynn got himself a fat contract, but we never got anything back.  I'm sure I'm probably forgetting somebody, but I'm thinking there is negligible precedent for 3rd-day picks getting traded by their D+D team for much value?  

As Packer fans, we have a distant memory of Wolf using depth QB's as trade assets.  I don't think that's as realistic now as under Wolf's old CBAs.  They got an extra year of club control.  Exhibition games will be getting reduced, right?  In Wolf's era there were still two-a-days, and alter MM had his famous and productive QB schools every spring that helped developmental guys a lot and prepared them to actually perform and produce in camp and in exhibition games.  In Wolf's era they did two-a-days in camp, and often held scores of practices during the season. 

With no QB schools, and so few practices during season or in camp either, I think the actual opportunity to develop is compressed.  With fewer exhibition games and fewer open camp practices, the opportunity for scouts to observe is pinched.  And with one less club-controlled year on rookie contract, the trade value shrivels.  

They are few and far between, if anything you want a guy who can hold the clip board and maybe get you out of a game or two, possibly showing more athleticism than your established starter.  It's just such an important position you have to take a look at possible upgrades, even if it's just to your QB2.

Finding a Brady, or even a Minshew is hitting the lotto in those rounds but they do exist.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I didn't want Love coming out.  Pure and simple.  Not because he didn't have skill.  I just thought it was a year too early to be taking a QB. 

This is where I was with the pick, but I don't think he can carry a team the way Rodgers and Favre have. Aaron almost beat those tough USC teams with deck chairs. Love was a one-year wonder in a non-power 5 conference and was coming off of a year in which he threw 17 picks and didn't tuck it and run when he should have.

I will agree with you that his poise is definitely there as is his awareness in the pocket. He doesn't appear to get flustered and we all came to an agreement that a large part of the reason he had those 17 picks was because he was "trying to play hero ball" because he lost a lot of weapons after 2018. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Joe said:

This is where I was with the pick, but I don't think he can carry a team the way Rodgers and Favre have. Aaron almost beat those tough USC teams with deck chairs. Love was a one-year wonder in a non-power 5 conference and was coming off of a year in which he threw 17 picks and didn't tuck it and run when he should have.

That's an...interesting take.  Care to share with the rest of the class?

Boy a lot of revisionist history around here.  Aaron had not played well for the preceding couple of years prior to the Love pick.  Looked to me like his skills were declining.  Never looked the same after the collarbone and then the knee. Didn't expect Aaron to ever reach MVP form again.  So yah was suprised.  I was an advocate of drafting a successor even a year prior to when Love was drafted.  Believe it is best to develop QB's over a few years before throwing them into the fire.  

Also by doing this gives you a chance to evaluate your choice and make sure you got the right guy.  Bust rate is high so chances of finding a franchise QB is less than 50/50 and that's in the first round.  Ok so you take a guy evaluate him if it doesn't pan out you can still take another stab.  The last thing you want to do is be in a position without a decent QB under center.  Not to mention you also have a valuable and hopefully capable back up in case of injury.  

Now as to whether or not Love is going to bust no one on this forum can answer that.  We simply have no idea.  Saw a little tape of him throwing the ball into the net next to Aaron.  His accuracy looked just fine to me.  That's about all I got to go on.  Scouting report was a strong arm and able to make throws from all positions.  Little green and has to learn the game.  

Wonderlic was 27 so he's certainly smart enough.  If he works hard to improve his craft and is dedicated he'll have a good chance to succeed.  Learning behind Aaron has to also be a very positive influence in his development.  

Well he's #2 now.  Without any live game action expect him to make typical rookie mistakes in the preseason.  Personally believe he won't be ready to start until his 4th season.  By then he should be well schooled and groomed to take over. So 2 more years on the bench.  Way I see it.  He'll need to show he can be the man over  this time or we'll be looking at  trying to extending Aaron for a few more years and take  another shot.  He'll be 40 by then.  

It was certainly not a wasted pick.  It was prudent and given the circumstances at the time he was drafted shrewed.  If Aaron goes down to injury you'll be glad we have him.  One last question do you think the pick lit a fire under Aaron?  I do and that alone was worth it.

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with Scoremore.   I’m more disappointed with last year’s 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks than the Love pick.    And I know we used the fourth do didn’t have it but that’s the first four rounds of drafting backups.   BPA, ok, but some should fill holes.    

4 minutes ago, Starchisaga said:

I agree with Scoremore.   I’m more disappointed with last year’s 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks than the Love pick.    And I know we used the fourth do didn’t have it but that’s the first four rounds of drafting backups.   BPA, ok, but some should fill holes.    

I, too, am disappointed when good players get injured and/or COVID-19

• Like 1

ESPN has been doing their fun little "what ifs" before the draft, and some analysts were saying he would be fighting Justin Fields for the third QB spot of the draft.  So..........thats the capacity to be basically third overall.  What kind of precedence would there be if someone like the Eagles at 6th overall said, here is our 1st rounder for Love.  What about Atlanta and their 4th overall pick?  Do we play that game?

Edited by HeresAGuy

18 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I, too, am disappointed when good players get injured and/or COVID-19

They were drafted as backups.   Then got injured and/or COVID.    One more player / play could have made the difference vs. the Bucs.    Among other things.    One starter coming out of the first four rounds would be great.   I’m not asking for a BJ Raji, Clay Matthews, TJ Lang return but maybe ONE.   

19 minutes ago, Starchisaga said:

They were drafted as backups.   Then got injured and/or COVID.    One more player / play could have made the difference vs. the Bucs.    Among other things.    One starter coming out of the first four rounds would be great.   I’m not asking for a BJ Raji, Clay Matthews, TJ Lang return but maybe ONE.   

what starter for our team was available within 10-20 picks of the guys we drafted in rounds 2-3?

27 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

what starter for our team was available within 10-20 picks of the guys we drafted in rounds 2-3?

What starter of the Packers team?   Wha?  Assuming you’re asking “who else would you have drafted.”   Not really the point.   What I’m saying is BPA would mean QB every year, right?   Or WR every year like Detroit used to do!  Haha.   But sometimes need or BPA in a position of need is warranted.   At least a few times in the first four rounds.  Fill some holes.    

LB/S Jeremy Chinn may have been a great sideline to sideline MLB.   
G Damien Lewis may have helped when Bakh was hurt after we slid someone to T

I like AJ Dillon but honestly, we knew either Williams or Jones might be re-signed.   So we drafted a 3rd string clip board holder in the second round.    Not even a backup - 3rd string.   

50 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

What starter of the Packers team?   Wha?  Assuming you’re asking “who else would you have drafted.”   Not really the point.   What I’m saying is BPA would mean QB every year, right?   Or WR every year like Detroit used to do!  Haha.   But sometimes need or BPA in a position of need is warranted.   At least a few times in the first four rounds.  Fill some holes.    

I like AJ Dillon but honestly, we knew either Williams or Jones might be re-signed.   So we drafted a 3rd string clip board holder in the second round.    Not even a backup - 3rd string.   

50 minutes ago, incognito_man said: