1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

18 hours ago, Starchisaga said:

What starter of the Packers team?   Wha?  Assuming you’re asking “who else would you have drafted.”   Not really the point.   What I’m saying is BPA would mean QB every year, right?   Or WR every year like Detroit used to do!  Haha.   But sometimes need or BPA in a position of need is warranted.   At least a few times in the first four rounds.  Fill some holes.    

LB/S Jeremy Chinn may have been a great sideline to sideline MLB.   
G Damien Lewis may have helped when Bakh was hurt after we slid someone to T

I like AJ Dillon but honestly, we knew either Williams or Jones might be re-signed.   So we drafted a 3rd string clip board holder in the second round.    Not even a backup - 3rd string.   

Dillon was a good pick because you knew at least one RB was leaving and it made it not an "at any cost" type move to resign Jones. It worked out where now the Packers have 2 good options at RB. 

Degura is something different. I hope the plan is to use him as a hb/fb the way SF uses Juszczyk. There is no one like that on the roster, and it could add a dynamic wrinkle to the offense even if he doesn't get many touches. 

No rookie was going to come in and take many snaps.

19 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Dillon was a good pick because you knew at least one RB was leaving and it made it not an "at any cost" type move to resign Jones. It worked out where now the Packers have 2 good options at RB. 

Degura is something different. I hope the plan is to use him as a hb/fb the way SF uses Juszczyk. There is no one like that on the roster, and it could add a dynamic wrinkle to the offense even if he doesn't get many touches. 

First off, I agree with you.

But...Barnes disagrees with you.

There were spots to get some playing time.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Deguara was a beast in limited action, I am so excited about that guy. Those top 3 picks are going to be awesome. 

I hope we trade Rodgers for truckload (this year or next year), and that Rodgers finds moderate success for a year wherever he goes next. 

36 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

Deguara was a beast in limited action, I am so excited about that guy. Those top 3 picks are going to be awesome. 

I hope we trade Rodgers for truckload (this year or next year), and that Rodgers finds moderate success for a year wherever he goes next. 

Well have to disagree.  Without knowing what we have in Love not in any hurry to trade Rodgers.  Now if Love could beat out Rodgers straight up and we can trade Rodgers for a boatload of picks hey great.  That's fantasy land.  Once Rodgers leaves we are going to suck for awhile.  Got a good look what happened to the team when he went down.  Wasn't pretty. 

We let Farve go because at that time Aaron was the better QB.  Don't think Love is anywhere close yet.  Don't want to see Rodgers in a different uniform for at least another few years.  Franchise QB's don't grow on trees.  We have one of the best in the game.  Enjoy it why he's here because once he's gone we may never see that level of QB play again in GB.

5 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Well have to disagree.  Without knowing what we have in Love not in any hurry to trade Rodgers.  Now if Love could beat out Rodgers straight up and we can trade Rodgers for a boatload of picks hey great.  That's fantasy land.  Once Rodgers leaves we are going to suck for awhile.  Got a good look what happened to the team when he went down.  Wasn't pretty. 

We let Farve go because at that time Aaron was the better QB.  Don't think Love is anywhere close yet.  Don't want to see Rodgers in a different uniform for at least another few years.  Franchise QB's don't grow on trees.  We have one of the best in the game.  Enjoy it why he's here because once he's gone we may never see that level of QB play again in GB.

You are framing the conversation as if it is Love vs Rodgers. In fact it is Love + Multiple first round picks + Money vs Rodgers.

Aaron was not a clear cut better QB than Favre n the first year or two after Favre left.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

You are framing the conversation as if it is Love vs Rodgers. In fact it is Love + Multiple first round picks + Money vs Rodgers.

Aaron was not a clear cut better QB than Favre n the first year or two after Favre left.

The Packers knew what they had in Rodgers.  They thought he was better when they made him the starter.  I'll disagree and say yes Rodgers clearly outplayed Farve in his first few years.  He was far more consistent and most importantly avoided getting picked.  Farve's specialty. 

As for multiple 1st round picks that's all fine and dandy but you are talking about trying to replace one of the best QB's to ever play the game.  A couple of 1st rounders isn't going to move the needle unless Love can play at a very high level.  Far from guaranteed he could just as easily bust.  

As I have previously mentioned I supported the Packers drafting a QB.  They need to start working on a succession plan.  It may take a couple of shots to get this right.  Too many are assuming Love is the next great GB QB without ever seeing the guy play.  

What is most likely is he'll have an up and down preseason.  Fans will be quick to label him a bust and we'll have a whole other discussion about what a terrible pick it was and how be better extend Rodgers.  I'll be on the other side reminding people it takes time to develop a QB.  2022 maybe, by 2023 he better be ready or we'll be looking to draft another QB and extending Rodgers.  Packers don't have to make any decisions for a couple of years yet.

Edited by Scoremore

4 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

The Packers knew what they had in Rodgers.  They thought he was better when they made him the starter.  I'll disagree and say yes Rodgers clearly outplayed Farve in his first few years.  He was far more consistent and most importantly avoided getting picked.  Farve's specialty. 

As for multiple 1st round picks that's all fine and dandy but you are talking about trying to replace one of the best QB's to ever play the game.  A couple of 1st rounders isn't going to move the needle unless Love can play at a very high level.  Far from guaranteed he could just as easily bust.  

As I have previously mentioned I supported the Packers drafting a QB.  They need to start working on a succession plan.  It may take a couple of shots to get this right.  Too many are assuming Love is the next great GB QB without ever seeing the guy play.  

What is most likely is he'll have an up and down preseason.  Fans will be quick to label him a bust and we'll have a whole other discussion about what a terrible pick it was and how be better extend Rodgers.  I'll be on the other side reminding people it takes time to develop a QB.  2022 maybe, by 2023 he better be ready or we'll be looking to draft another QB and extending Rodgers.  Packers don't have to make any decisions for a couple of years yet.

2022 is a great time to do the trade based on Aarons contract, but if you get the right offer in 2021 you have to pull the trigger.

Brian Brohm was a high pick too, I have no problem with the reality that you have to take multiple shots at the thing to find a good next QB.

MLF has to be confident that Love is ready to run the offense at a high level, we agree about this. If not, Gute should be listening to trade offers for Love. 

I do think that MLF's offense is very QB friendly, and that Love is going to be plenty capable to run it. Aaron had ups and downs in the offense when it was new to him, that is natural. A few top-tier defensive players on rookie contracts could go a long way towards easing Love into the league with some 10-6 seasons... which are good business. 

1 minute ago, HokieHigh said:

2022 is a great time to do the trade based on Aarons contract, but if you get the right offer in 2021 you have to pull the trigger.

Brian Brohm was a high pick too, I have no problem with the reality that you have to take multiple shots at the thing to find a good next QB.

MLF has to be confident that Love is ready to run the offense at a high level, we agree about this. If not, Gute should be listening to trade offers for Love. 

I do think that MLF's offense is very QB friendly, and that Love is going to be plenty capable to run it. Aaron had ups and downs in the offense when it was new to him, that is natural. A few top-tier defensive players on rookie contracts could go a long way towards easing Love into the league with some 10-6 seasons... which are good business. 

Brett Favre Career Stats | NFL.com
Aaron Rodgers Career Stats | NFL.com

Also compare the stat lines in 2009 - Favre clearly had a great year left in him when he left GB. Better than Aaron's as a matter of fact.

6 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

Brett Favre Career Stats | NFL.com
Aaron Rodgers Career Stats | NFL.com

Also compare the stat lines in 2009 - Favre clearly had a great year left in him when he left GB. Better than Aaron's as a matter of fact.

He also started off 2008 very strong before having a separated shoulder (I think). Rodgers was ready.  It is very up in the air whether he was better until 2010.

9 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

He also started off 2008 very strong before having a separated shoulder (I think). Rodgers was ready.  It is very up in the air whether he was better until 2010.

Rodgers was pretty good right away, but he wasn't exactly a clutch qb early on.  Took him a while to find the winning touch late in games. 

29 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

2021 as in this season?  We won’t be trading the MVP.  Things will get interesting in ‘22 and ‘23 but there are so many variables that we don’t have much to speculate on it, although that’s what we do as fans. I hope Love kills it in the preseason and knocks it out of the park in practice this year while 12 continues to light up the league so we can have the most ridiculous embarrassment of riches and then let all the drama begin. 

48 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

You raise some good points taking the glass half full approach.  2021 is out.  No way we trade him this year.   2022 is a huge maybe.  Love  would really have to progress.  10-6 without Rodgers have a tough time seeing it.  8-8 would be more likely.  Hey you never know just skeptical lightning will strike not twice but three times. 

From a trade perspecive 2022 would be the year.  Maximize Aaron's trade value and give Love another year to develop.  The Packer brass would have to be pretty damn sure before they pull the trigger.  He's going to struggle out of the gate but hopefully will show improvement during the preseason.  Gotta make the right reads.  He's got the physical tools it's the mental aspect of his game that is so important.  Just hope we end up with Mahommes not Kizer.  Rodgers has another season like the last he won't be traded next year either.  

Regardless it's status quo for 2021.  Most likely 2022 as well.  If Love really progresses well 2023 is when he'll get his shot. Don't think it will happen before then.  No slip in Rodgers play it will be tough for the Packers to move on.  

4 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Rodgers was pretty good right away, but he wasn't exactly a clutch qb early on.  Took him a while to find the winning touch late in games. 

I remember this being the narrative at the time but I think it was incorrect. When I have time I'm going to look up to see if my memory serves me correct. Off the top of my head I remember us losing 3-5 games that year because the defense let the opponent score at the end of games.