1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

2 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

I remember this being the narrative at the time but I think it was incorrect. When I have time I'm going to look up to see if my memory serves me correct. Off the top of my head I remember us losing 3-5 games that year because the defense let the opponent score at the end of games.

You’re right. Atlanta, @ Min (missed FG I think), OT @ TEN (never got the ball I think), Houston, Jacksonville, Carolina and there was something screwy at the game in Chicago. 6-10 could’ve easily been 10-6

7 hours ago, crfalker05 said:

You’re right. Atlanta, @ Min (missed FG I think), OT @ TEN (never got the ball I think), Houston, Jacksonville, Carolina and there was something screwy at the game in Chicago. 6-10 could’ve easily been 10-6

I got us losing on 3 walk off FGs vs. Houston as time expired and vs. Tennessee and Chicago in OT without ever getting the ball. Vs. Carolina and Jacksonville we gave up the lead after the two minute warning. Vs. Minnesota we gave up the lead with 2:22 left. We scored in the 4th quarter to tie, extend, or take the lead in all six of those games. 

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I'm really starting to hate the Love pick since it spawned these mental gymnastics concerning trading our MVP when he is playing as good as ever.

I don't know how one couldn't be ridiculously excited at the prospect of moving Rodgers for a historical return thus indicating the staff feels confident in Love's ability.

If Love is even Jared Goff level, it makes so much sense to do this. Imagine a MLF-led team with a top 2 defense...It's the Rams. Plus, if Love is better than Goff...

12 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I don't know how one couldn't be ridiculously excited at the prospect of moving Rodgers for a historical return thus indicating the staff feels confident in Love's ability.

If Love is even Jared Goff level, it makes so much sense to do this. Imagine a MLF-led team with a top 2 defense...It's the Rams. Plus, if Love is better than Goff...

No offense meant here.  But to me, this is mental gymnastics.  "Historical return".  "Top 2 defense".  "If Love is better than Goff."

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Yeah but how many teams have an MVP QB that is also the host of Jeopardy?? Why have your QB focus solely on winning one more SB to solidify his legacy when he can host a game show nobody watches??

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I'm really starting to hate the Love pick since it spawned these mental gymnastics concerning trading our MVP when he is playing as good as ever.

I like the player, but didn't think it was the right time to select the heir.  The Packers screwed it up by two years.  2022 was the time to get the heir to Rodgers.  There is a good chance Love's rookie deal will be mostly completed before he ever sees the field, and that is one of the biggest benefits to having a QB on a rookie deal.  Sure, Rodgers was a mere mortal for a few seasons before his MVP performance last year, but he still wasn't a player anyone would want to replace.   They would be nutso to get rid of Rodgers at this point. 

Edited by {Family Ghost}

57 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I'm ridiculously excited to transition from Rodgers to another QB with the tools to be elite. I am totally fine with the Love pick. 

Rodgers isn't going to fetch a historical return at 39. It'll be a first round pick or 2.

Also the Rams just had the #1 defense with one of the mentors to LaFleur and they finished with 1 playoff win. Love needs to be much better than Goff or that's a massive bust for LaFleur and Gute.

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm ridiculously excited to transition from Rodgers to another QB with the tools to be elite. I am totally fine with the Love pick. 

Rodgers isn't going to fetch a historical return at 39. It'll be a first round pick or 2.

Also the Rams just had the #1 defense with one of the mentors to LaFleur and they finished with 1 playoff win. Love needs to be much better than Goff or that's a massive bust for LaFleur and Gute.

Goff has played in as many Super Bowls as Aaron Rodgers.

If Love is that good his first year, we could be a Super Bowl team w/ the return we get from Rodgers added to the roster.

Jared Goff had a year with an insane core around him and mystery surrounding the scheme. Once he got figured out and the league became familiar with McVay and his scheme, he was traded as a salary dump.

I'd like Jordan Love to be more than 1 fluke year. I agree with your overall premise that his reduction in salary and potential return from a Rodgers trade could set us up nicely. The bar just needs to be set higher than Jared Goff.

41 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Jared Goff had a year with an insane core around him and mystery surrounding the scheme. Once he got figured out and the league became familiar with McVay and his scheme, he was traded as a salary dump.

I'd like Jordan Love to be more than 1 fluke year. I agree with your overall premise that his reduction in salary and potential return from a Rodgers trade could set us up nicely. The bar just needs to be set higher than Jared Goff.

Goff is the minimum bar used to illustrate the level of play from the QB position you can get away with if you're able to stack the team around him.

I clearly said that if Love is only as good as Goff, we could still be a SB team. Obviously the ideal is that Love will be better than Goff. But even if he's not, it can still make sense to move on from Rodgers in the next year or two.

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

there are literally zero assumptions...

HA!  Historic return.  Love being better than Goff.  #2 ranked defense.  Lots of assumptions in my book.

Think whatever you want, I'm going to sit here and enjoy #12 without worrying about the "what ifs".